UK Hello

• HTML tutorial

Vagnarok

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Rainworth
I just joined up and am interested to say hello to other UK based OB contributors.

Not managed to get my pin on the map yet but I live and work in the heart of Sherwood Forest.

I have owned various offroaders and 4x4s in the past but we are firm fans of the VW T3 and T4 Syncro models.

With our old T3 up for sale this year I am building an expedition T4 LWB Syncro for use.

It's Land Rover/Isuzu Trooper/Suzuki SJ central in Nottinghamshire but none of those are as practical for camping as the VW's.

What are you guys driving? Interested in your gear and how I might use your knowledge on my build.

76_overlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Biarritz, France
First Name
Angus
Last Name
LastName
Member #

Hey @Vagnarok :blush:

I also had a T3 for many years and sold it 6 month ago. I enjoyed it and regret it. I had the doka version and it was SO versatile, it really was a dream machine. Not a syncro but i still did a lot of off road with it. Not from UK so that was just a little hello, i leave you with your compatriots ;)

Reactions: Polaris Overland

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Welcome to the club. I have a German friend who rebuilt his military T4 and we met him in Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan last year. Just him travelling around with his dog. A great guy and great van, picture is me guiding Hannes through the rocks into Charon Canyon in Kazakhstan IMG_6901.JPG

Reactions: Vagnarok

Vagnarok

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Rainworth
Welcome pal
I’m in a disco 2 TD5

Appalled you’d consider any other brand!!

Look forward to the camp fire debates on it!!
My old man and a friend had Discos of varying ages. Designed to rot and unprotected from it too.

My Skoda pickup had better sealant application [emoji23]

But each to their own.

I think I just like the room a van offers over a 4x4.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr E

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Vehicle preferences are really dictated for the type of overlanding you want to do.
That said we met a Russian in a rear wheel drive low profile tyred mustang in Oglii Mongolia who was touring around Mongolia, Siberia and back home in Russia.
There are days in poor weather we would prefer a van we can get inside but then we also like the freedom a 4x4 offers.
So we all make our own choices and head off overlanding

Reactions: Mr E and Vagnarok

Vagnarok

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Rainworth
Vehicle preferences are really dictated for the type of overlanding you want to do.
That said we met a Russian in a rear wheel drive low profile tyred mustang in Oglii Mongolia who was touring around Mongolia, Siberia and back home in Russia.
There are days in poor weather we would prefer a van we can get inside but then we also like the freedom a 4x4 offers.
So we all make our own choices and head off overlanding
We do indeed. Ours is a compromise between comfort and offroad ability.

Chances are we will rarely do anything particularly extreme though the vans are capable enough.

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr E

Mr E

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

U.K.
I think I just like the room a van offers over a 4x4.
There are some days, lying in a cramped Land Rover, I think i'd like some room, then there are some where the Land Rover comes in to it's own and all is forgiven.
The maintenance of it kjeep the wife and I iun a healthy relationship, as we never see each other!!!

Are you signed up for @Polaris Overland' Loch Lomond excursion??

Vagnarok

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Rainworth
There are some days, lying in a cramped Land Rover, I think i'd like some room, then there are some where the Land Rover comes in to it's own and all is forgiven.
The maintenance of it kjeep the wife and I iun a healthy relationship, as we never see each other!!!

Are you signed up for @Polaris Overland' Loch Lomond excursion??
Until this van has the basic conversion done excursions will wait.

That said, after a discussion with the wife we want it road legal with basic gear in ready for AO.

Sometimes a target is all you need to kick it off.