Two-week trip, beginning in Vegas... where should we go?

• HTML tutorial

WanderRig

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Nashville, TN
Member #

Brand new Nashville, TN-based OB member.

My wife and I have a two-week window when we would like to hit the road, beginning in Las Vegas around the 7th of April. We've considered hitting Moab, Zions, etc in the southwest, but after seeing the Overland Bound footage of Michael and the rest in Baja, I'm wondering if we might enjoy getting out of our comfort zone a bit more and heading across the border. I think I might be more comfortable joining a small group for my first trip down there, but we're open to suggestions!

I'd be most interested in getting some advice on routes/destinations that offer some seclusion. For example, if we were to head to Zions (or other parks), are there some good, semi-secret camping spots on BLM land near the park that anyone could recommend? We really are totally open to suggestions.

So, for any experienced overlanders... if you had two weeks, and were starting in Vegas, and you had not spent any time at all in the famous parks in Utah/Arizona, etc, where would you recommend we go this time of year?

Oh, also, we have a 2014 Ford Raptor, so we'd need to avoid any trails where the size of our rig would be problematic.

Thanks in advance for any help!

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
Moab, then Ouray would be my choice. Probably 2 of the most beautiful spots in the US. I haven’t been to Baja though.

Reactions: Homeguy

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

You gonna be in your own wheels with a lot of your own gear? Starting in Vegas sounds like you might be flying there, then renting? edit: n/m I see you're taking your Raptor.

I've explored the area extensively. From LV I suggest over Hoover Dam to Kingman AZ, Old 66 from Kingman through Oatman (pretty cool and very scenic old road full of twists and turns and precipitous drop-offs), then Mojave Preserve and the Old National Trails Rd, Kelso Dunes, Amboy Crater, then on to Joshua Tree, etc. All of which are closer to Vegas than going too far up into Utah, and give plenty of different terrain and opportunities. Hell, just in Joshua Tree you will encounter three different desert ecosystems.

Here is just one option (below), th0ugh you could easily include both North and South Rim of the Grand Canyon to the east, or Sequoia and Kings Canyon areas for giant redwoods to the west.

There are many, many ways to do it, and I'd keep in mind to NOT try and cram too much into two weeks. You'll enjoy it a lot more, see a lot more, and spend less money if you slow down and enjoy everything in a smaller circle to the fullest. You'll go back, believe me, to expand the circle in the future.

You could easily spend two weeks just in Joshua Tree, Mojave, and Death Valley and still not see it all.

Use the example just as a general guide, not the perfect must-do route. I get out there and have no plan, really, just kind of let the weather and sun lead me around.

lasvegastrip-01.png

Click the map to go to google maps and alter things the way you want.

There are LOTS of threads here about exploring Mojave, Joshua Tree, Death Valley and Grand Canyon and what trails and camping spots people have found appealing. Poke around, read up.

To be honest though, man, half the fun and adventure is to research and explore and find your own spots, both good and bad.

Let us know what you end up doing and bring pics!

Last edited:

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Lots of great camping in Utah outside the parks, the only advice I have is Zion might be a little cold this time of year. Personally I would follow Road's advice above just because of the weather.

WanderRig

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Nashville, TN
Member #

Hi guys -

Thanks for such a quick reply.

I will be driving my truck our west, and picking my wife up in Vegas. While I will have my own wheels, stocked with traditional camping gear, I may not have a great deal of recovery gear given our newness to the community, and the last-minute nature of the trip. I'll be sure to get a tow strap, some chains, and perhaps even a small portable compressor.

I'd welcome any additional thoughts you might have given this additional information. Perhaps my biggest concern is getting too far down a trail and then realizing my rig is too big!!

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hi guys -

Thanks for such a quick reply.

I will be driving my truck our west, and picking my wife up in Vegas. While I will have my own wheels, stocked with traditional camping gear, I may not have a great deal of recovery gear given our newness to the community, and the last-minute nature of the trip. I'll be sure to get a tow strap, some chains, and perhaps even a small portable compressor.

I'd welcome any additional thoughts you might have given this additional information. Perhaps my biggest concern is getting too far down a trail and then realizing my rig is too big!!
Eh, I wouldn't give the size of your rig a second thought. Just be smart about where you go. Don't get too far back on trails you don't know yet. An awful lot of the places you go in the American southwest won't be forested so, in general at least, you won't have to worry about being too tall or wide. I've taken my 2wd long wheelbase van all over the place out there, even on trails meant primarily for Jeeps.

A little ViAir portable air compressor is smart, though. I've picked up a lot of nails over the years out west, and if you end up airing down for some trails, you'll want to air back up before hitting the pavement at speed or your tires will get too hot and possibly damaged. Here's a whole page of ViAir compressors. I bought one of these: VIAIR 90P Portable Air Compressor
over seven years ago and have used it a lot. They're slow, but do the job. I have a nice ARB now in my trailer, but keep the ViAir in my van.

Overall, because this is your first trip out there and exploring, I'd err on the side of caution, especially if hitting a trail or two solo. Read up on the threads here about the trails in Joshua Tree, and in Death Valley, and across the Mojave Preserve and you'll find a lot of great info on which trails are plenty doable on your own and without serious recovery gear.

Get out and explore, man . . .it's out there waiting for you two!

WanderRig

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Nashville, TN
Member #

Terrific advice! Thank you. I'll read-up on the Joshua Tree threads, etc.

Can you direct me to a good thread for overlanding navigation apps? I'll have an onboard iPad that should be able to provide the heavy lifting, but a good tutorial on the best app, and how to download tracks. I wouldn't even know where to begin!

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Terrific advice! Thank you. I'll read-up on the Joshua Tree threads, etc.

Can you direct me to a good thread for overlanding navigation apps? I'll have an onboard iPad that should be able to provide the heavy lifting, but a good tutorial on the best app, and how to download tracks. I wouldn't even know where to begin!
The search function here can be a little wonky sometimes, and you have to refine your terms sometimes to get anywhere, but here's what a simple search for Gaia brought up:

Gaia - there's a couple good threads in there on using your iPad and Gaia together.
Here's a new thread just started up: 2018 - Overland Apps for iOS
Here's one called simply GPS/Tablet
And one called iOs Apps for Overlanding

You can search too, for more on just about any camping and travel subject.

Enthusiast I

Brentwood, CA
Member #

In my opinion there's no question where to go with two weeks in the spring based out of Vegas. Mojave Road is a two day trip. You won't need any substantial recovery gear and going alone isn't too scary. There's enough people running it and enough cross roads. Oh, and it's an amazing place. Afterward, go to Moab. Along the way you can visit Zion and Bryce Canyon, but my favorites are Canyonlands and Arches. There are son many awesome trails that will accommodate a full-size truck. If you have more time after Moab, keep heading East, toward home, and hit up the Ouray area in Colorado. Gaia is a great app. Watch some YouTube tutorials and learn how to use it. Make sure you learn how to download detailed maps and you can find tracks to download by searching for something like Mojave road gpx track. If you give me your email I can send you the track I used two days ago. Also, the Dennis Casabier book on the Mojave Road is invaluable as well as the Charles Wells book on Moab trails.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app

Enthusiast I

Brentwood, CA
Member #

In my opinion there's no question where to go with two weeks in the spring based out of Vegas. Mojave Road is a two day trip. You won't need any substantial recovery gear and going alone isn't too scary. There's enough people running it and enough cross roads. Oh, and it's an amazing place. Afterward, go to Moab. Along the way you can visit Zion and Bryce Canyon, but my favorites are Canyonlands and Arches. There are son many awesome trails that will accommodate a full-size truck. If you have more time after Moab, keep heading East, toward home, and hit up the Ouray area in Colorado. Gaia is a great app. Watch some YouTube tutorials and learn how to use it. Make sure you learn how to download detailed maps and you can find tracks to download by searching for something like Mojave road gpx track. If you give me your email I can send you the track I used two days ago. Also, the Dennis Casabier book on the Mojave Road is invaluable as well as the Charles Wells book on Moab trails.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app