Two Spare Tires? | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Two Spare Tires?

Discussion in 'Overland Vehicle Gear' started by Lindenwood, Jan 12, 2019 at 3:32 AM.

Hi Guest, Become a Member to gain access to the Member Forums, Member Map, Member Calendar of Events, and Rally Point overland trip planner! Click this link "Learn More" for more information!
  1. Lindenwood

Lindenwood Rank V

Member #:

Map
    #1 Lindenwood, Jan 12, 2019 at 3:32 AM
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 11:16 AM
    Getting ready to go with some 37x12.5x17s on my F250, and have largely decided on carrying two spares in the bed. To paraphrase, most folks who carry two say "one spare allows you to get home; two spares allows you to keep going."

Over the next year, my wife and I are slowly downsizing to full-time living in an Airstream travel trailer. Our intent is to spend most weekends exploring the Western half of the country, with at least a few longer trips a year. I want these trips to go as smoothly as possible, so among many preparations, being able to swap one spare and keep going without a worry is nice. Worst case, I have personally experienced two flat tires on a bicycle miles off the road, and have seen it happen with two tires on the same side of a vehicle. So, again, it is a little extra piece of mind.

I do carry and know how to use a plug kit for simple tread holes. However, I am not quite confident in my ability to reliably remove, remount, and reseat a tire. So, I am not really considering any major tire repair or even inner-tube installs as realistic options right now.

My basic plan is to build or buy a cross-bed rack and mount them flat on top (roughly even with the roofline) to leave me more practical horizontal bed space. However, I am considering mounting them vertically. How have you guys carried two spares?

2. Flipper

Flipper Rank III

Member #:

Map
    I carry 2 on my boat trailer, on two trips we got flats. One was in the Everglades miles from nowhere. I had to drive several miles on the rim because there was no place to even pull off the road to change it. Worried about another flat that would have stranded us we had to drive the whole way to Naples to get another spare and lost a half day in the process. After that we carry two. The small amount of extra weight was a easy trade for piece of mind.

3. Renegade

Renegade Rank I

Map
    I carry 2 spares, the factory spare under bed (a little smaller), and a full size identical spare that is part of a 5 tire rotation.

4. SiDbaru

SiDbaru Rank II

Member #:

Map
    Two is one and one is none they say.
    That said I only have one at the moment.

5. Lindenwood

Lindenwood Rank V

Member #:

Map
    That isnt a bad compromise! You dont sacrifice the additional bed space or roll stability with the high-mounted 2nd spare, while still maintaining some get-home peace-of-mind. In extreme cases, of course, you could be limited on 4WD usage if you used both spares, but that would indeed be quite a situation.

For my planned set of 6 matching wheels, I am trying to decide if I should stack the tires up in the center and potentially block the top taillight (and all rear-window visibility), or sit them side-by side and lose some potential storage to the left and right of the tires.

6. Polaris Overland

Polaris Overland West Europe Region Director
    Staff Member Moderator Member Supporter +

Member #:

Map
    After 2 years overlanding, the first year with a trailer over 3 continents, over 50k miles we have never had a puncture. On the first part of the trip my trailer had the same running gear as my Land Rover so I carried 2 spares and could if needed use the trailer tyres as spares.

On the 2018 drive to Mongolia we left the trailer behind and only carried one spare plus a tyre repair kit. We never needed either and we covered some very rough terrain in both Mongolia, the Gobi Desert and the Pamir Highway as well as Russia and the Stan countries.

Carrying an extra spare can give you some piece of mind but also remember, correct management of your tyres, pressures, switching and good route choice are just as important. Weight of your vehicle is also a critical consideration on a long trip. Don’t overload it as it will increase wear and tear on all components including your tyres and a spare wheel is not light.

Best advice, weigh up your trip, terrain and confidence and make your choice. In some cases a second spare is a good choice and in others it’s overkill.

Hopefully what I have given you is good food for thought to help you make your choices

Lindenwood likes this.
  7. Lindenwood

Lindenwood Rank V

Member #:

Map
    #7 Lindenwood, Jan 14, 2019 at 8:26 PM
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019 at 10:03 PM
    Thank you for the insight! I am indeed toying with the idea of 1x full-sized "keep playing" spare on a bed rack, while still also keeping the factory "limp home" spare under the bed in the stock location.

It does save me a modest amount of weight (even with a 3400lb payload, 104lbs is not nothing!), allows for a moderately-lower CG, and makes storage a bit easier. Of course, crap happens--I think Ive only ever needed a spare tire just once since I started driving, but then again I have never been out deliberately crawling rocks in the desert!