Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I have got two sets, one is dedicated winter tire and the other one is a set of MT's for the summer. The weather changes so much that it is simply unsafe to drive the wrong tire.

Reactions: OverlandPalmetto

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

That's understandable. Weather should be heeded. what do you use for winter? An AT?
I use a winter tire wich is capable as an at nokian hakkapeliitta LT2, it's available in the common jeep and offroad sizes and really shows its skills when cold, wet or snowy.

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I use AT tires for every day and a set of MT tires for the trail, electric impact gun with spare battery and charger in the rig. One of my three rigs has 2 spare tires.

totalnobody

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbus, Ohio
Member #

just ordered a full set (5) wheels and tires,

1 set for mall
2nd set for mountains
my plan is to swap out when I go , but a little afraid I wont switch them out because the bigger tires and black wheels will look so much better.
we will see how diligent I am when it comes to the swap back to mall.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

The idea of swapping wheels with any regularity sounds awful to me :P . Winter tires I can understand; they are expensive and wear quickly in dry conditions.

However, I like math.

Driving 15k miles per year, and getting back 2 MPG at most by only running the MTs exclusively offroad, you'd save $210 per year with gas at $3/gal.

If you would choose to run only high-end MTs and would need replace them at 30k miles for $1000 (4 tires), but are willing to run basic road tires to 45k miles at $600 per set, it certainly makes some difference. After 12 years, you would have saved about $3900 total, including gas (at 15k miles per year). That is $325 per year, or $27 per month. If you go wheeling twice a month and spend 15 mins each time on the swap (including jacking, and especially moving all those wheels around)--for 4 swaps a month--that is $27/hr -- not bad!

Of course, there are plenty of capable MTs in the $700 range, which brings that total 12-year savings down to about $2060. That is about $170 saved per year, $14 per month, or $14/hr for your time if you want to look at it like that.

I dunno, I think I'd happy shell out $15 per month to
1) simply never have to bother with the regular wheel changes,
2) not have to store a huge stack of heavy tires, and
3) Maintain maximum vehicular coolness on every last grocery and mall run.

:sunglasses:

*edit*
Minor math correction (forgot you would need 4 swaps per month for 2 trips, rather than just 2 swaps :P ).

*edit*

Also, FWIW, going from 33x12.5" MTs on heavy 20x10 rims, to 32" ATs on light-weight aluminum 17s, I saved 50lb per wheel/tire combo. Still, I only picked up 1 MPG. So, 2MPG is, like I said, pretty optimistic except for huge changes like putting 35s on a 2door wrangler that came with 30s or 31s.

Last edited:

totalnobody

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbus, Ohio
Member #

Ha HA Lindenwood

I could not agree any more with all you have said especially #3

I put none of the forethought into it that you have stated above.

I simply went this route : stock tires that came with my runner, I consider useless off the mall trail , I ordered K02's on steel wheels so I will have 2 sets as a result not an intent.

I am sure I will not swap back and probably sell stock set to fund other goodies.

Reactions: Lindenwood

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Yeah, especially with capable, long-wearing ATs like KO2s, there is even less reason IMO to bother with a 2nd set. Sell the old ones and buy yourself something nice!

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

I have had the two sets before... IMO, sounds good in theory. High Winter states, yes. The average daily driver, no.

That said. Cost just went up. The first couple of swap overs will be ok. Then you will get tired of it. Life always gets in the way of planing a trip. I have swapped over several times for the weekend trip in the middle of the night.

This sucks after awhile. Get a good tire from the get go and be done with it.

Sent from space. OB Talk

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

My mt tires that are mounted on the spare tire rack stay in place. It only takes 10 to 15 minutes to grab the floor jack and 2 stands (safety first) swap out one end and then the other. If you leave them on for and extra day or so until you have time to swap them again. Then impact gun makes all the difference, Off and on the trail.

MT_Yota

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Helena, MT
Member #

I’m going to run 2 sets on my 4Runner. Something that’s great on snow and I’ve and something that’s great in mud and rocks

Reactions: MazeVX

Ronnie Davidson

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Jersey Village, TX, USA
Member #

The idea of swapping wheels with any regularity sounds awful to me :P . Winter tires I can understand; they are expensive and wear quickly in dry conditions.

However, I like math.

Driving 15k miles per year, and getting back 2 MPG at most by only running the MTs exclusively offroad, you'd save $210 per year with gas at $3/gal.

If you would choose to run only high-end MTs and would need replace them at 30k miles for $1000 (4 tires), but are willing to run basic road tires to 45k miles at $600 per set, it certainly makes some difference. After 12 years, you would have saved about $3900 total, including gas (at 15k miles per year). That is $325 per year, or $27 per month. If you go wheeling twice a month and spend 15 mins each time on the swap (including jacking, and especially moving all those wheels around)--for 4 swaps a month--that is $27/hr -- not bad!

Of course, there are plenty of capable MTs in the $700 range, which brings that total 12-year savings down to about $2060. That is about $170 saved per year, $14 per month, or $14/hr for your time if you want to look at it like that.

I dunno, I think I'd happy shell out $15 per month to
1) simply never have to bother with the regular wheel changes,
2) not have to store a huge stack of heavy tires, and
3) Maintain maximum vehicular coolness on every last grocery and mall run.

:sunglasses:

*edit*
Minor math correction (forgot you would need 4 swaps per month for 2 trips, rather than just 2 swaps :P ).

*edit*

Also, FWIW, going from 33x12.5" MTs on heavy 20x10 rims, to 32" ATs on light-weight aluminum 17s, I saved 50lb per wheel/tire combo. Still, I only picked up 1 MPG. So, 2MPG is, like I said, pretty optimistic except for huge changes like putting 35s on a 2door wrangler that came with 30s or 31s.
Agreed on all points... BOOM!

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I think it all comes down to what is most important to you when it comes to tires. Traction/performance is my priority where as someone else would see longevity and fuel efficiency as their priority.
Up until now I've always tipped the scale towards longevity and fuel efficiency leading me to Michelin LTX where I was getting 75-90k miles per set. They were reasonable for the forest service roads I was visiting and fantastic on the highways to get there. Last week I had my first set of "Overland tires installed (KO2's) so We'll see how it goes. Saved my old tires in case I decide to switch back and forth. We'll see...

Boort

MT_Yota

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Helena, MT
Member #

Up until now I've always tipped the scale towards longevity and fuel efficiency leading me to Michelin LTX where I was getting 75-90k miles per set. They were reasonable for the forest service roads I was visiting and fantastic on the highways to get there. Last week I had my first set of "Overland tires installed (KO2's) so We'll see how it goes. Saved my old tires in case I decide to switch back and forth. We'll see...

Boort
You’ll love the traction. They’re gonna ride a little rougher than the LTXs. And you should expect about half the life you’re getting out of the LTX. Which I guess is another good point towards running 2 sets. Run your LTX in the summer when everything is dry and you’ll probably be taking more frequent long trips and save the KO2s for winter when you need the extra cold weather traction.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Hmmm, I run only one set, I replace them, needed or not about every 45k miles, sell them to someone in the market for excellent used KOs thereby reducing the cost of new KOs. We do go long distance, think 7 or 8 thousand mile round trips and one day, Baja and Alaska, which would easily bring that round trip up into 5 digits. The biggest problem with keeping a dedicated set of MTs, (for you guys that play only local, which may or may not be Overlanding?), is that they dry rot after about 6 years. May as well just toss em in the trash unless you are breaking them down off the rims and storing them properly. With even a cheap set of MTs you'd be needing to off road about 4,000 miles a year to make it worth the money and the constant hassle of swapping out. The only time two sets makes any sense is the need for snow tires, and in some provinces up north it is law. In Quebec when you buy a new car it usually comes with an extra set of snow tires supplied by the dealer as an option, or a bargaining lever.

Reactions: Boort

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Hmmm, I run only one set, I replace them, needed or not about every 45k miles, sell them to someone in the market for excellent used KOs thereby reducing the cost of new KOs. We do go long distance, think 7 or 8 thousand mile round trips and one day, Baja and Alaska, which would easily bring that round trip up into 5 digits. The biggest problem with keeping a dedicated set of MTs, (for you guys that play only local, which may or may not be Overlanding?), is that they dry rot after about 6 years. May as well just toss em in the trash unless you are breaking them down off the rims and storing them properly. With even a cheap set of MTs you'd be needing to off road about 4,000 miles a year to make it worth the money and the constant hassle of swapping out. The only time two sets makes any sense is the need for snow tires, and in some provinces up north it is law. In Quebec when you buy a new car it usually comes with an extra set of snow tires supplied by the dealer as an option, or a bargaining lever.
I personally have 3 vehicles
I am very fortunate in my career and when I am done with a set of tires I give them to friend. My wife and I have traveled every state in the lower 48 except for Rhode island, every province of Canada including Newfoundland (get your own room on the ferry) and Alaska. The investment in daily driver tires and my mt trail tires I do not see as a waste of money. There are people who join this group of overland bound and the overland community to not be judged or belittled by how we spend our money, local or long distance adventuring we do or how we do it whether it be in a Toyota Tacoma or in a camper van or a smart car.

Reactions: JCWages and MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
No judgement at all. . If you are a weekend warrior, or play locally, which may or may not be overlanding, the tires will dry rot before you wear them out with mileage. If you are using your off-road tires for long distance trips and street tires the rest of the time, then they will more than likely wear out the tread before they dry rot. Those big Kelly Springfields I used to run on my 64 F100 back in the mid 70's, dry rotted way before I used up the tread. I'm only relaying my personal experience to the OP and his question "two sets of tires?" If I did indeed sound judgmental well then, that certainly was not the intent. Oh, I personally have 2 vehicles.. ( tongue firmly in cheek)