Kansas City
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Paris
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0KTP
Having had a lengthy career in law enforcement and spent many years exploring, backpacking and vehicle dependent travel, I have found the the two is one, one is none rule to apply more often than not.

If you were never in the military or first responder you may not have heard this saying before.

What does Two is one, one is none mean?
Basically you have more than one way to accomplish a task.

The reality is one option may fail or may be ineffective for the task at hand.

A prime example is recovery gear. If all I have is my winch and nothing else I have essentially set myself up for potential failure. If the winch fails for whatever reason (battery, line break, nothing to attach to) I have rendered myself stuck and in need of someone or something else to recover me from my situation. But if by chance I brought my recovery boards or a farm jack with recovery equipment I now have more than one way to resolve the problem.
AD51B915-A206-4F57-9583-E46931C42B6D.jpegC235697C-6788-43C5-A19E-A99118F1FD2B.jpegB4F8C415-885C-4CE1-A143-6E2C5848E7E4.jpeg

Another example where redundancy is a great thing to have is communications. If you rely on cellular telephone only, there is much of the back country which cell service is non-existent. If you make the statement, “That’s why I have ham radio.” As a fellow Amatuer Radio user, this is also not entirely true. There are places 2m / 440 does not propagate well. Same for GRMS, CB, FRS, SATCOM etc.. Believe it or not there are places different satellite communications doesn’t work as well as others. There is also the fallacy to dismiss CB in all circumstances. Driving in some areas CBs are the main radio contact with large lumber operations. Would it not be helpful if injured, stuck, or lost to communicate to someone if you could? Have a few regular options and then consider where your travels will take you. Should you put another option in the tool box to be more prepared? I run two radio types in my truck. Amatuer Radio and GRMS. I also have two tri-band antennas for each radio. If I brake an antenna I can move it to the radio I need at that time. I also have handheld options for those radio types. This is helpful if I need to walk away from my vehicle to attempt to locate help or move on foot somewhere.
4DB1639E-040E-4758-BFDC-7C2613283F68.jpegE3074E2D-4240-4AB2-9625-1EFA2A203223.jpeg

A few items I consider to have multiple uses:
A farm jack has multiple uses. (Lift, spread, winch)
Recovery boards (bridging, traction, medical back board)
Camp knife of good quality (protection, split wood with maul, prep food)
iPad (navigation, web search, work, communication)

These are just a few items I believe are great at doing several tasks and reducing how much we take into the back country.

So next time you pack your vehicle for exploration, off-roading, or touring take a moment and ask yourself; Do I have variety of items to accomplish the tasks you may encounter.

7YODA5

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Texas, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Gregory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6CHI
@Paris0514 I like how you explained this because you outline that its multiple ways to accomplish the task. Too often I hear folks talk about this in a literal sense and it isn't always practical. For example, a spare tire is the preferred method of flat repair but not many rigs have the space to carry two spares nor is the extra weight practical. So the two is one method which means you have a way to repair a tire as well. Granted this example is dependent on a few factors such as trip distance and distance to help, as well as the assumption that if you needed to use the spare you would then egress from the route in a safer manner which would allow you to utilize a field repair if needed. There are literal two is one and I personally put first aid and comm in this category. Not just having two comm devices but having at least two methods. Cell, Ham, and two-way radios (when in small groups it helps quite a bit) are my typical comm load out.

Paris0514

Local Expert Kansas City MO
Founder 500

World Traveler III

Kansas City
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Paris
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0KTP
@Paris0514 I like how you explained this because you outline that its multiple ways to accomplish the task. Too often I hear folks talk about this in a literal sense and it isn't always practical. For example, a spare tire is the preferred method of flat repair but not many rigs have the space to carry two spares nor is the extra weight practical. So the two is one method which means you have a way to repair a tire as well. Granted this example is dependent on a few factors such as trip distance and distance to help, as well as the assumption that if you needed to use the spare you would then egress from the route in a safer manner which would allow you to utilize a field repair if needed. There are literal two is one and I personally put first aid and comm in this category. Not just having two comm devices but having at least two methods. Cell, Ham, and two-way radios (when in small groups it helps quite a bit) are my typical comm load out.
Thanks for the reply. I’m glad to see it was insightful and informative for you. If you like the post and give it a like. Appreciate you stopping by and reading.

Paris0514

Founder 500

World Traveler III

Kansas City
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Paris
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0KTP
Thanks for reading and the comment.

Reactions: Poseidon

Paris0514

Founder 500

World Traveler III

Kansas City
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Paris
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0KTP
Thanks for the read and the comment.

Reactions: Poseidon

JoelIII

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Camp Lejeune, NC
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Wasson
Member #

That is a great rule to go by . We overland a lot by ourselves and we have more than 2 to help get unstuck or for communication of for the amount of food and water we bring.
This is true. I find myself less willing to go down some trails or over certain obstacles if I'm out by myself, where as if someone is with me in a separate rig, I'll get a little more gutsy.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
That theory is great when wheeling. Two people can play on obstacles and take harder lines because one is always there to spot, guide and help if needed to get each other through. On your own, people tend take take the easy way every time and bypass the obstacles.

Reactions: madcratebuilder

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Its a great philosophy in theory but the problem is weight when you start carrying a spare for everything, it adds up pretty quick especially if your one of the folks who carry extra alternators, axles etc. Then you really should start thinking about getting better at bushcraft like using 12v batteries to weld your axle back together and choosing a marine alternator that can stand up to being submerged instead of a regular automotive one that cant. The military community also has a saying ounces equal pounds and lbs equal pain.

Paris0514

Founder 500

World Traveler III

Kansas City
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Paris
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0KTP
Its a great philosophy in theory but the problem is weight when you start carrying a spare for everything, it adds up pretty quick especially if your one of the folks who carry extra alternators, axles etc. Then you really should start thinking about getting better at bushcraft like using 12v batteries to weld your axle back together and choosing a marine alternator that can stand up to being submerged instead of a regular automotive one that cant. The military community also has a saying ounces equal pounds and lbs equal pain.
Your understanding that you shouldn’t carry everything and the kitchen sink and then carry two of them is correct.

The article does not encourage taking two of everything. The article encourages having items that are dual purpose or having the means to accomplish the same task more than one way.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Your understanding that you shouldn’t carry everything and the kitchen sink and then carry two of them is correct.

The article does not encourage taking two of everything. The article encourages having items that are dual purpose or having the means to accomplish the same task more than one way.
That is completly different than 2 is one and one is none then, that would be multi use or multipurpose. Most who carry spares dont carry the kitchen sink just what is likely to break on trail but even then it can be overkill.

Paris0514

Founder 500

World Traveler III

Kansas City
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Paris
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0KTP
That is completly different than 2 is one and one is none then, that would be multi use or multipurpose. Most who carry spares dont carry the kitchen sink just what is likely to break on trail but even then it can be overkill.
As described in the article there is two ways to consider two is one and one is none principle.

I don’t believe it is as narrow of a definition as on the face.

My experiences through special teams and training always tended to blend the idea.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

As described in the article there is two ways to consider two is one and one is none principle.

I don’t believe it is as narrow of a definition as on the face.

My experiences through special teams and training always tended to blend the idea.
Thats the beauty of opinions and ideas, most everyone has their own idea of something. Anything can be read in any number of ways. just giving mine

sportsguy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Camarillo CA
First Name
duane
Last Name
forrester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6GYI
Love it! I'm a big fan of redundancy and having a backup plan. Touring on my motorcycle taught me that - witnessing a friend who thought his tire patch kit would solve the flat tire issue he had scream in frustration as the sealant tube has ruptured and hardened was a real reminder to have more than one option. Another rider in our group stepped in with their kit to solve the issue. (I had two options on my own bike, ready to go.)

Paris0514

Founder 500

World Traveler III

Kansas City
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Paris
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0KTP
Love it! I'm a big fan of redundancy and having a backup plan. Touring on my motorcycle taught me that - witnessing a friend who thought his tire patch kit would solve the flat tire issue he had scream in frustration as the sealant tube has ruptured and hardened was a real reminder to have more than one option. Another rider in our group stepped in with their kit to solve the issue. (I had two options on my own bike, ready to go.)
Thanks for the read and reply.

Reactions: sportsguy

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I solo a lot, or go out with a friend - but more often than not, it's just my vehicle out there. I can attest to having backups for your equipment, as well as some redundancy and some novelty. What I mean; have a couple extraction methods that aren't just copies of each other (if your winch line snaps, another winch line might too... so get out the traction boards or jack and try a different approach rather than repeating the same mistake).

A little while ago, I was out with a friend, everything was going well, then I hit a pit of mud/clay and sunk the front end in... deep. Tried the traction boards, which have gotten me out of everything in the past. Nope. One of them cracked, the other just slid right across the ground, because the clay was so slick. Got out the come-along winch instead. Set up a strap, but it was 2 ft. too short. Fortunately, I had an extra tree saver and a couple of shackles to cover the gap. Slowly but surely, I hand-winched myself out most of the way, drove the rest. it wasn't quick, but it was effective.

Every other time things have gone smoothly, but I'd of been royally screwed the one time it didn't, had I not brought along extra kit.

DzrtShamrock

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Betts
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0AWV
Something that stood out to me when reading the original post as well as the comments is the importance of planning & analysis prior to a trip/run. By that I mean considering ahead of time the characteristics of the area you're going into. What's the terrain like - are you likely do deal with lots of mud and wet ground or uneven/rocky ground? Are there repeaters/networks active in that area? What are some scenarios you may be more likely to encounter?

I won't speak for everyone else, but I will admit that I at least have been guilty of assuming that my standard kit will be fine. It's all stored in the back of my rig and I put it together with the notion that I need to keep the basics with me all the time so there wouldn't be a time when I forgot about it. But the flip side is that I rarely stop to think about whether or not the options it presents will be adequate.

I've spent the last 5 years in the southwest and my recovery kit is a reflection of that. Not a lot of need for a winch when it doesn't rain often and there isn't anything to anchor it to anyways. But after moving, up to Colorado I'm reconsidering what I might need based on the change of scenery.

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I won't speak for everyone else, but I will admit that I at least have been guilty of assuming that my standard kit will be fine. It's all stored in the back of my rig and I put it together with the notion that I need to keep the basics with me all the time so there wouldn't be a time when I forgot about it. But the flip side is that I rarely stop to think about whether or not the options it presents will be adequate.
For that, I've found it really helpful to "knoll" my kit out. Something like this. A few times a year, I'll Take all my stuff out, spread it out on a tarp or something, and go through each and every thing and ask myself if I still need it, or if that space could be better used for something else. Things naturally get misplaced or lost, and this also helps you identify when that happens too.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Having had a lengthy career in law enforcement and spent many years exploring, backpacking and vehicle dependent travel, I have found the the two is one, one is none rule to apply more often than not.

If you were never in the military or first responder you may not have heard this saying before.

What does Two is one, one is none mean?
Basically you have more than one way to accomplish a task.

The reality is one option may fail or may be ineffective for the task at hand.

A prime example is recovery gear. If all I have is my winch and nothing else I have essentially set myself up for potential failure. If the winch fails for whatever reason (battery, line break, nothing to attach to) I have rendered myself stuck and in need of someone or something else to recover me from my situation. But if by chance I brought my recovery boards or a farm jack with recovery equipment I now have more than one way to resolve the problem.
View attachment 114213View attachment 114212View attachment 114211

Another example where redundancy is a great thing to have is communications. If you rely on cellular telephone only, there is much of the back country which cell service is non-existent. If you make the statement, “That’s why I have ham radio.” As a fellow Amatuer Radio user, this is also not entirely true. There are places 2m / 440 does not propagate well. Same for GRMS, CB, FRS, SATCOM etc.. Believe it or not there are places different satellite communications doesn’t work as well as others. There is also the fallacy to dismiss CB in all circumstances. Driving in some areas CBs are the main radio contact with large lumber operations. Would it not be helpful if injured, stuck, or lost to communicate to someone if you could? Have a few regular options and then consider where your travels will take you. Should you put another option in the tool box to be more prepared? I run two radio types in my truck. Amatuer Radio and GRMS. I also have two tri-band antennas for each radio. If I brake an antenna I can move it to the radio I need at that time. I also have handheld options for those radio types. This is helpful if I need to walk away from my vehicle to attempt to locate help or move on foot somewhere.
View attachment 114210View attachment 114214

A few items I consider to have multiple uses:
A farm jack has multiple uses. (Lift, spread, winch)
Recovery boards (bridging, traction, medical back board)
Camp knife of good quality (protection, split wood with maul, prep food)
iPad (navigation, web search, work, communication)

These are just a few items I believe are great at doing several tasks and reducing how much we take into the back country.

So next time you pack your vehicle for exploration, off-roading, or touring take a moment and ask yourself; Do I have variety of items to accomplish the tasks you may encounter.
Thanks, very good advise. I'm still a boy scout at heart and prectice "Be prepared". CQ CQ CQ ;-)