Tundra w/ Leer QX100 Shell & RRT Question

• HTML tutorial

Usmcshepherd

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello,

I'm new here but I hope I can get some help on a question that I have yet to find a clear answer on. My question is concerning weight from a RRT on these overlanding vehicles. I would like to put a RRT on my Leer QX100 which I have a Rhino Rack Cross Bars currently installed on. According to LEER the shell should only have 150lbs on the shell. However, it doesn't say if this is static weight or dynamic weight. Additionally, I see several folks who are putting these RRTs on their 4Runners, but the weight capacity on a 4Runner from what I found is only 135lbs. Obviously, these RRTs are almost at or surpassing these weights but that doesn't even begin to account for the campers sleeping in them. So my question is simply am I missing something or does the ladder offset that much of the weight when these tents are opened? Additionally, I understand that there are commercial shells that have higher capacities but I'm not getting a new shell and I know there are many out there running these RRTs on normal shells or the roofs of SUV's that have weight capacities far below that of my current LEER shell. Anyway, any help or thoughts would be great.

Thanks
USMCShepherd

Contributor III

Jacksonville, Texas
Member #

Hello,

I'm new here but I hope I can get some help on a question that I have yet to find a clear answer on. My question is concerning weight from a RRT on these overlanding vehicles. I would like to put a RRT on my Leer QX100 which I have a Rhino Rack Cross Bars currently installed on. According to LEER the shell should only have 150lbs on the shell. However, it doesn't say if this is static weight or dynamic weight. Additionally, I see several folks who are putting these RRTs on their 4Runners, but the weight capacity on a 4Runner from what I found is only 135lbs. Obviously, these RRTs are almost at or surpassing these weights but that doesn't even begin to account for the campers sleeping in them. So my question is simply am I missing something or does the ladder offset that much of the weight when these tents are opened? Additionally, I understand that there are commercial shells that have higher capacities but I'm not getting a new shell and I know there are many out there running these RRTs on normal shells or the roofs of SUV's that have weight capacities far below that of my current LEER shell. Anyway, any help or thoughts would be great.

Thanks
USMCShepherd
I’ve had no issues yet but had the same questions in the beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Usmcshepherd

Rank 0

Traveler I

Shane...thank you so much for your response...I was beginning to wonder if there was anyone out there with the same question! What size RTT do you all have on your shell? Also do you have it mounted to a rack or bars and if bars how many? Thanks again!

Contributor III

Jacksonville, Texas
Member #

I have the Mt. Denali EV Stargazer Summit on a two-bar Yakima rack. I've had no issues. I found someone on Instagram with the same setup and finally decided to go with and I have no regrets.

Usmcshepherd

Rank 0

Traveler I

Wow that’s great to hear...I had the Rhino Rack on my cap (2 bars) and I was thinking of adding a 3rd bar to spread load the weight. I’m looking at a Hollowing Moon 1.6 tent which is smaller than your Denali for sure. Well that’s great to hear the Leer shell is holding up so great...looks great on your rig. Just to clarify yours is just a standard Leer shell not one of the contractor grade heavy duty ones?

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

Thanks USMCSHEPARD & Shane Thompson as I have a 2017' Tundra with a Leer top also and this was also a question I had. I was considering an exo-skelton build using the rear bumper and slider bar as anchor points but now I might rethink this. CVT Chattanooga is an hour north of me so maybe a trip up for some fact finding might be in order.