Rank IV

Traveler III

San Jose CA 95123
First Name
Alfredo
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

I really appreciate all the feedback, that's exactly what I was looking for. All have point out very specific things to take in account as far as what vehicle I should focus on. In this case I should just keep building the 80 .. since I just got it I don't know what kind of maintenance it has seen by the old owner. All exterior looks clean and I know the last owner which he pointed out what he worked on. He just needed a bigger truck after about a year of owning the 80.

Thanks all

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
We are saying the same things. However I am responding to your comment

Replacing all the consumables is needed, that needs to be figured into a 27 yr old vehicle. Just because it's a 80 doesn't mean it will be reliable and continue to be.
All i'm saying is, exactly what I said. You have to keep up on all the consumables.

The economics of it were not my point of discussion.
Also, I said as much in the post just above what you quoted.
True, however, the driveline itself will last as long as an old Farmall tractor engine. Certainly there are all kinds of parts that will need replacing over the years and /or rebuilt. but the heart of the beast is nearly indestructible. I’ve yet to even hear about a bottom end, transmission or third member failure when utilized and maintained properly.

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

Sensible comments on the age of the 80, however also on its capability, better access to some places, etc. I'd follow the advice of others who've said fix the 80 and expect to do some maintenance. We had an 80 in Africa for 2 years, took it all around Southern and Eastern Africa, and it did a great job. Yes - we had to replace the radiator, front differential, and A/C fan motor, but I wouldn't take a Tundra on the same trip.

Exactly the point I keep trying to get into people's heads. go out and TRY to find a as capable platform as the 80 or 100/105 series LC. Honestly, you can't. I looked at the new defender 100.. and like it. but started doing the math. all up a new defender with all the kit will go past 150k.

you can COMPLETELY rebuild to a new spec ANY 80 or 100 series LC for less money. I spent most of the last two days looking at costs of building my 23 year old OWNED series 100 into a diesel powered (toyota v8 Twin turbo) with a solid front axle AND refreshing the WHOLE suspension / drive train. cost? 35k. sound expensive? well, look at the torque, fuel economy/range, reliability factor AND having a completely spec built truck! SO, I am working on the overlanding parts sliders , bumpers, lights, electrical systems, storage systems, radios, navigation (most I already have).. and when the mechanicals start to go crazy. I roll it into a shop and spend 35 to 45k on a total spec out.. and get EXACTLY what I want.

A totally capable of going ANYWHERE overlanding / expedition truck with zero miles mechanical.

I looked at the new jeep hybrid wrangler, diesel gladiator, defender 100 -- even old defender 100/130's and doing the spreadsheet on the buy / build outs.. staying in a LC just makes sense... if you aren't making monthly payments to fund your insanity. the battle of few $ each month vs. best built truck total cost. that is the issue most people avoid looking at.. now vs. when its done and over.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Exactly the point I keep trying to get into people's heads. go out and TRY to find a as capable platform as the 80 or 100/105 series LC. Honestly, you can't. I looked at the new defender 100.. and like it. but started doing the math. all up a new defender with all the kit will go past 150k.

you can COMPLETELY rebuild to a new spec ANY 80 or 100 series LC for less money. I spent most of the last two days looking at costs of building my 23 year old OWNED series 100 into a diesel powered (toyota v8 Twin turbo) with a solid front axle AND refreshing the WHOLE suspension / drive train. cost? 35k. sound expensive? well, look at the torque, fuel economy/range, reliability factor AND having a completely spec built truck! SO, I am working on the overlanding parts sliders , bumpers, lights, electrical systems, storage systems, radios, navigation (most I already have).. and when the mechanicals start to go crazy. I roll it into a shop and spend 35 to 45k on a total spec out.. and get EXACTLY what I want.

A totally capable of going ANYWHERE overlanding / expedition truck with zero miles mechanical.

I looked at the new jeep hybrid wrangler, diesel gladiator, defender 100 -- even old defender 100/130's and doing the spreadsheet on the buy / build outs.. staying in a LC just makes sense... if you aren't making monthly payments to fund your insanity. the battle of few $ each month vs. best built truck total cost. that is the issue most people avoid looking at.. now vs. when its done and over.
The only conundrum is when to rebuild? 400-500-600k miles? Another conundrum? Which engine & drivetrain? My first impulse is to keep it stock, however, there are a lot of options. The 2.8 Cummins comes to mind as does the stock HDJ 81. I’m just a bit leery of swapping to the Cummins until some long term reviews start coming in. Let’s face it though, our 80 series Landcruisers are trucks and most people don’t like trucks. ( sorry, the new pick up trucks on today’s market are nothing like an old school truck)

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

The only conundrum is when to rebuild? 400-500-600k miles? Another conundrum? Which engine & drivetrain? My first impulse is to keep it stock, however, there are a lot of options. The 2.8 Cummins comes to mind as does the stock HDJ 81. I’m just a bit leery of swapping to the Cummins until some long term reviews start coming in. Let’s face it though, our 80 series Landcruisers are trucks and most people don’t like trucks. ( sorry, the new pick up trucks on today’s market are nothing like an old school truck)

i've heard ALOT of bad things about the 2.8 Cummins. but you could drop a Toyota d4d and a sixspeed into it pretty easy.

as far as when.. I have the 1500.00 rule. if the total cost of work on engine or trans is past that. I look at a repower

Reactions: Jeremy M.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
In general I believe that it’s best to stick with the original design (motor, transmission, etc.) with a few exceptions- a well-proved suspension upgrade for example. Vehicles are designed (at least in the last few decades) for all of the components to work harmoniously. If you add more power then the risk of overloading the transmission increases, if you add a lot of mass then the structure may end up over-stressed, if you increase unsprung weight the handling will suffer, etc., etc. The LC80 is a very capable vehicle in standard form. If it’s deemed to be inadequate in some significant way, then it’s better to select a vehicle which fits the objectives rather than try to turn it into a different vehicle, in my opinion.