Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
While it's possible I don't think planting the idea in the heads of new users/operators that they're going to easily and routinely get long range simplex contacts is a good idea. It gives them an IMO unrealistic idea of what "normal" VHF/UHF operations are going to be like. Contrary to what you consider "normal" or "routine" most people aren't going to be regularly making mobile 80 mile simplex contacts going down the road.
I never used either "normal" or "routine" in my descriptions. I did use the word "uncommon" because that is an accurate description. And part of the learning curve with ham radio is in all aspects of this conversation. Propagation characteristics and properties, Antenna design, ground planes, etc... So object to my use of the word uncommon if you like. But the notion of 50+ mile simplex comms on 2m/70cm out of a solid radio and antenna is certainly not a rarity either.

22Echo

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Cedar Hill, TX 75104, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Wicker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5BDT
That's not a common range, for most people's operations. I have made a simplex contact of 98 miles from a 8500 foot ridgeline out over the socal desert. That was using a 5 watt handheld. That's the exception to the rule and requires really good conditions.
Yeah, I wasn't believing that story. Beyond perfect conditions!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
That's not a common range, for most people's operations. I have made a simplex contact of 98 miles from a 8500 foot ridgeline out over the socal desert. That was using a 5 watt handheld. That's the exception to the rule and requires really good conditions.
Could this contact been made due to DX skip?

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Could this contact been made due to DX skip?
It was a LOS contact. I was at 8500 feet talking out over the SOCAL desert the receiving station altitude was less than 200 feet. IIRC when I punched that into a LOS calculator 98 miles was just under the max LOS distance of like 110 or something like that.