Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
I'm assuming you added the 8900 just for 6m and 10m capability. Regardless I have come to really like have dual radios in my rig.

22Echo

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Cedar Hill, TX 75104, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Wicker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5BDT
I'm assuming you added the 8900 just for 6m and 10m capability. Regardless I have come to really like have dual radios in my rig.
No, not really. Outside of monitoring multiple freqs during an event, I like having the aprs on the 400 along with some of its other features.

Reactions: M Rose

MojaveGreen

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmdale, CA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE6SGE
I finished installing my FT-857 into my truck but still need to add to it as I go. So far only using 2m but it seems to be working pretty well testing it with a repeater 80 miles away from my QTH. I am running the headphone jack to the AUX into the stereo so I can listen to it through the radio speakers and it sounds great. Any and all questions, comments and critiques welcome. Thanks for looking, Brian

Attachments

Reactions: Prerunner1982

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
That’s pretty slick... where exactly did you mount the radio it self? I’m looking for an inconspicuous spot in the wife’s 4Runner...

MojaveGreen

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmdale, CA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE6SGE
That’s pretty slick... where exactly did you mount the radio it self? I’m looking for an inconspicuous spot in the wife’s 4Runner...
Thanks,I routed everything to fit under the backseat since it lifts up for easy access and hopefully stay cooler.

Reactions: M Rose

22Echo

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Cedar Hill, TX 75104, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Wicker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5BDT
I finished installing my FT-857 into my truck but still need to add to it as I go. So far only using 2m but it seems to be working pretty well testing it with a repeater 80 miles away from my QTH. I am running the headphone jack to the AUX into the stereo so I can listen to it through the radio speakers and it sounds great. Any and all questions, comments and critiques welcome. Thanks for looking, Brian
80mi? Wow!

MojaveGreen

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palmdale, CA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE6SGE
Thanks James “80 miles isn't uncommon with a properly installing rig” that kinda was my point. Yes everyone here is right A lot can be done on 2m under the right conditions but this is a repeatable benchmark from my home qth and living in a valley Im happy to hit any repeater that is not local. If you saw the antenna that I am using in one of my photos you will see that it is anything but a proper install with it mounted on the back left corner like that and if it is using my truck as a whole as the ground plain than it should be shooting out the front right conner and that is not in the direction of that repeater. Sure one can do a lot with simplex I talked to someone 187 miles on 2m with this radio and a j-pole mounted 3 feet above ground running 25 watts but it’s not the same thing since I can not count on my being able to repeat it. The repeater that I am impressed with the most (maybe I am easily impressed) is one that is 67 miles away and what makes that one so interesting to me anyways is that it is located on the backside of two mountain ranges and I only need five watts to trip it and it comes blasting in at 9++. I wonder if having the front right corner of my truck pointing that way has anything to do with it, hmmm. I don’t know, am I wrong in my defense? Don't worry about it, it's all good.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
80mi? Wow!
That's not a common range, for most people's operations. I have made a simplex contact of 98 miles from a 8500 foot ridgeline out over the socal desert. That was using a 5 watt handheld. That's the exception to the rule and requires really good conditions.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
That's not a common range, for most people's operations. I have made a simplex contact of 98 miles from a 8500 foot ridgeline out over the socal desert. That was using a 5 watt handheld. That's the exception to the rule and requires really good conditions.
Yes and no. The fact you made that contact with an HT is amazing. But coming off a mobile rig with a solid antenna 80 miles ain't that uncommon. Obviously things like terrains and atmospheric conditions matter. But like I said I have done it more then once while bumping down the highway.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Mobile to Mobile simplex with antennas on the roof (7')... you have a radio horizon of 8-10 miles on flat land.
Anything more than that is because of the elevation of terrain between the two stations and possibly atmospheric ducting when conditions are right.

Reactions: Downs

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
Mobile to Mobile simplex with antennas on the roof (7')... you have a radio horizon of 8-10 miles on flat land.
Anything more than that is because of the elevation of terrain between the two stations and possibly atmospheric ducting when conditions are right.
Propagation doesn't necessarily work like that. I routinely make contacts well in excess of those numbers, over all kinds of terrain. Theory and reality don't always mesh. I recall on contact I made on the 2m calling frequency that was in excess of 60 miles while traveling through Chattanooga.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Propagation doesn't necessarily work like that. I routinely make contacts well in excess of those numbers, over all kinds of terrain. Theory and reality don't always mesh. I recall on contact I made on the 2m calling frequency that was in excess of 60 miles while traveling through Chattanooga.
While it's possible I don't think planting the idea in the heads of new users/operators that they're going to easily and routinely get long range simplex contacts is a good idea. It gives them an IMO unrealistic idea of what "normal" VHF/UHF operations are going to be like. Contrary to what you consider "normal" or "routine" most people aren't going to be regularly making mobile 80 mile simplex contacts going down the road.