Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Germantown, TN, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Does anyone have experience with the Tuff Stuff Ranger RTT? My wife and I are considering it as our first roof top tent.

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
IMO, Made in China, don't buy it or buy used. Beside that it will probably be fine for your first tent.

Full disclosure: I'm avoiding from purchasing all things made in China if I can help it. YMMV.

wanderlosh

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Germantown, TN, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Carter
Member #

IMO, Made in China, don't buy it or buy used. Beside that it will probably be fine for your first tent.

Full disclosure: I'm avoiding from purchasing all things made in China if I can help it. YMMV.

I certainly understand and try to do the same with most things. Do you have any experience with non made in China tents? I can spend more than the Tuff Stuff but I can't afford an Ikamper or anything.

Reactions: Wallygator

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I certainly understand and try to do the same with most things. Do you have any experience with non made in China tents? I can spend more than the Tuff Stuff but I can't afford an Ikamper or anything.
I do. I have an Eezi-Awn Blade. It is not cheap but is built like a tank, very high quality. It was a big expense but has proven to be worth it. I know with a big expense like this it is hard to not buy a Chinese made product. We all have a budget to adhere to and unfortunately sometimes there is no choice. The Tuff Stuff tent is as good as any of that style tent. I don't have any experience with it but have not heard of any problems with them. Good luck with your decision. Whatever you decide, please post up a review and plenty of pics of you and your family having fun.

wanderlosh

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Germantown, TN, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Carter
Member #

I do. I have an Eezi-Awn Blade. It is not cheap but is built like a tank, very high quality. It was a big expense but has proven to be worth it. I know with a big expense like this it is hard to not buy a Chinese made product. We all have a budget to adhere to and unfortunately sometimes there is no choice. The Tuff Stuff tent is as good as any of that style tent. I don't have any experience with it but have not heard of any problems with them. Good luck with your decision. Whatever you decide, please post up a review and plenty of pics of you and your family having fun.
Thanks! Yeah I have been looking at Eezi Awn as well. I like the idea of having an Annex so the Fun is pretty tempting to me. There aren’t a ton of reviews though so I’m a little apprehensive about its long term durability since it seems like their lighter duty option. I really like the series 3 but the lack of an annex is kind of a dealbreaker.

I am going to call Equipt later today and ask some questions about the Fun’s durability and annex options for the series 3. If that doesn’t work out then I’ll probably get the Tuff Stuff. I’d rather buy that than like a CVT or something since it’s just a Chinese made tent that’s nearly the price of the eezi awn.

Reactions: Wallygator

Live Frisson

Rank III

Enthusiast II

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Prem
Last Name
W
@TahoePPV yes I do have the Tuff Stuff Ranger RTT. Overall I'd say it's a good first tent. I think the quality is comparable to other brands (it was nearly identical to an older Roam tent I saw last weekend as far as materials and build) but they did cut some corners here and there to keep the price down. For example, at least in the model I have (I bought it last fall), there are no elastics inside to help contain the fabric when folding it up which makes take-down a little more difficult, there is no skylight like other brands have in similar models, and my biggest pet peeve -- the sliding ladder rather than a telescoping ladder. The pins that keep the ladder from sliding feel cheap and you only get one length option unless you want to drill holes, but then that will affect using it for leverage when opening/closing. If you're okay with not having all the finer things like those, this one is decent quality, just don't be surprised when it's not exactly the same as a pricier one. It's nice that it comes with the annex and boot bag though! Here's a pic of it last weekend partially set up...and yeah I have to do something about that ladder angle.