Tubing Bender Question

• HTML tutorial

Al_Maryland

Rank 0

Contributor II

I want to purchase round tube bending dies for my bender. If you have a bender, what size die or dies do you use the most? What size tubing do you use most for general fabrication on bumpers and trailer builds for example? And what size center line bend radius do you use the most? Please list the 2 most used dies that you use. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Al

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Depends on your project. I bent 1 1/4" pipe for my roof rack. I would think 3/4" or even a 1/2" would be good size for say a cargo rack. Bumper style tubing is much larger at around 3" which most home style benders cant handle anyways.

diyjeeproofrack1.jpg

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
I want to purchase round tube bending dies for my bender. If you have a bender, what size die or dies do you use the most? What size tubing do you use most for general fabrication on bumpers and trailer builds for example? And what size center line bend radius do you use the most? Please list the 2 most used dies that you use. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Al
There seem to be ........... guidelines .............if you will, regarding tubing diameter and wall thickness , based on what you are building. Build what you want out of whatever sizes catch your fancy but too thin wall or too small diameter tubing will result in your project failing and/or creating unsafe conditions. Too thick wall or too large diameter will increase cost and weight.

It seems to come down to, and this is my conundrum for ordering my bender, what do you want to build first? And then, what size material is that item commonly built from?

So, what do you want to build first (or are you like me AND WANT TO BUILD EVERYTHING)?

Reactions: Glenn

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

There are a lot of shops out there that will bend up pipe for you for a small fee. Lets face it, the investment into a decent bender may work out to be just a little less or more then having it done but if you don't need the bender again, its a waste. I used a buddy of mines bender for my rack.

Al_Maryland

Rank 0

Contributor II

I want to build the following but is not limited to:
1. Bumpers and bumper accessories (off road light mounts, rear tire carriers, gas can mounts).
2. Vehicle roof racks or racks for my future expedition/overland trailer build.
3. Rock sliders for my truck or anyone that needs a set for their vehicle.
4. And anything else that I can think of or any ideas that I can steal on this forum (HeHeHe) LOL

I have a Hobart 140 mig welder and a metal chop saw to start. I'm trying to piece together my tools for my own little fabrication shop. So all of your advise and knowledge that I get from this site is of great help and appreciated.

I notice a lot of items fabricated for vehicles and trailers are made with .120 wall tubing. What do you think?

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
I could see sliders and tube bumpers being made of the same tubing size.

Racking, another size.

A bumper could be the tubing size of your sliders and rack.