Launch Member

Advocate II

Ohio
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
King
Member #

So the Willys truck project has stumped me again. In the essence of keeping the truck more original, traditionally the truck would've ridden on 6.50-16 bias ply tires. I have also thought about more modern 31x10.5r16's. Both are readily available, but which is the better option?

If I go tubed, I can carry more spare tubes/patches so long as I don't damage the tire badly. At the same time, a bent rim because a much smaller issue as well. Tubeless however would probably be much more reliable at lower PSI, and if you have a full size spare and a patch kit, it's a pretty simple fix compared to knocking a tire off the rim...

Thoughts?

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

How much on road travel will you see? In all honesty, how "available" is the Bias tire? I always look at needing a tire in the middle of nowhere, finding a corner garage in a one horse town. On my last truck, that is why I went with 31's and not 32's despite knowing 32's would fit. I knew it wasn't a common size and may run in to issue needing a tire in said situation. Any tire shop in the U.S. is going to have a 31x10.5...

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I'm with @Shizzy I would strongly consider how easy you can get another tire if yours get trashed.. I went with 31's instead of 32's also, just for popularity and ease of replacement.

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Unless you like a thump, thump ride for the first few miles when cold I would steer clear of the bias tires.

Also a stock rim is something around 4.5 inches wide, no way a 31x10.5 would fit safely on that.

A 175/75R16 is the closest common replacement for a 6.50-16.