Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

Definitely interested in your opinion of the new Lodge Cook It All. It looks very cool but with a full battery of Dutch ovens and skillets I am debating the need,....as if that drives my decisions!

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Try digging a hole just deep enough to sit the dutch oven in and slightly larger than its diameter and then coals in the hole and some on top and see how that works . It is how I have made biscuits
for years it wont take long so the first time might be a wash but keep trying and you will get the timing down pretty fast.
Thanks! We used to burry our Dutch oven in coals for the day then come back to camp for stew. In this case we had to keep it above ground on a coal tray.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Kent R- that is some excellent looking bread! I normally have one or two with me on every outing but use the 8 inch the most. It holds one box of Jiffy cornbread perfectly. I find that keeping the heat on the bottom lower as the bottom burning is the biggest risk in my mind.

If you have never watched the Kent Rollins videos definitely check those out.
Good info on the corn bread and yes I subscribe to Kent Rollins and have his book. I am thinking about going to his dutch oven class.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Definitely interested in your opinion of the new Lodge Cook It All. It looks very cool but with a full battery of Dutch ovens and skillets I am debating the need,....as if that drives my decisions!
The need is the key question.

overland_squirrel

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Simi Valley, CA
Member #

After the first run, there are some things it does well and some things I have to work on.

1. Tried biscuits but burned the bottom. Still cooked all the way through so trimmed off the bottom and through some gravy on it.

2. Grilling lamb for gyros on the grill side turned out very good. Nice to be able to cover it up like a normal grill.

I’m hoping I can figure out the bread part as this could be a real nice, one and done, type product. I use a 6qt Dutch oven and this is quite a lot bigger. This thing would be great for groups too.

Would I suggest buying it, why the hell not????

Edit:

Ambient temp was 28-35

Cooking method - wood Fire in a fire pit with a supporting grate. No charcoal used (probably would’ve helped with the biscuits).

Last edited:
Reactions: Kent R

Otter155

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA, USA
First Name
J
Last Name
N
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AJ3EP
Good info on the corn bread and yes I subscribe to Kent Rollins and have his book. I am thinking about going to his dutch oven class.
This is one of those hands on experiences I really want to learn about; maybe a meetup topic sometime this year? How long are cook times in the smaller oven? We have a recipe for jalapeno cheese bread, we've been wanting to try out.

Reactions: 9Mike2

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
This is one of those hands on experiences I really want to learn about; maybe a meetup topic sometime this year? How long are cook times in the smaller oven? We have a recipe for jalapeno cheese bread, we've been wanting to try out.
Lets talk about it at this months meeting.

Jakeapclyps

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Virginia
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Gordo
the biggest challenge for me when trying to make dutch oven bread is temperature consistency. Have not figured out a better way to hit that sweet spot temp other than shuffling the DO on and off the coals/grate.

Timing wise I find the best method to be peeking in at the bread and a chop stick to poke it if you're making a substantial amount.

Successful dutch oven bread/biscuits are unquestionably the best you'll ever taste.

flyboytr

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mobile, Alabama, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE4KHQ
I have been using camping Dutch Ovens for quite some time. We use a Lodge 10" (I also have 12" deep). The 10" is used 90% of the time and it sits is a 10" diameter baking pan; the DO sits in the pan and keeps the charcoal from being on the ground, etc ($5 at Wallyworld). Love it.

Wind and/or winter issues....?
I took a cheap aluminum boiling pot that was slightly larger than my base pan and cut 1" diameter holes around the bottom of the sides. This "pot" now holds my base pan, DO, charcoal (prebagged in 1 gallon ziplock containers) and accessories. I use three small bungees to keep the lid tightly in place for travel. This combination keeps things clean, works great for storage and provides an amazing wind/winter break while cooking. If you have small children this now becomes a safety tool should they get too close. In addition, once we had a rain storm come up. I placed a couple of small limbs/twigs across the top of the pot and sat the lid on top (you don't use the lid for cooking). This still allowed for venting, kept the charcoal dry and the cooking continued without interruption.

Reactions: Lucy R

Lucy R

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Placerville, CA, USA
First Name
Lucy
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LOU
@Ragman Thanks for the tip about the Jiffy cornbread! I'm having a hard time finding recipes for the 8" size. Not being an accomplished cook anyway, I have a hard time proportioning ingredients from recipes for the 12" Dutch oven.

If anyone has great tips about what to cook in an 8" Dutch oven (actual recipes very helpful!), I'd love to know.

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

Higher hydration doughs (peasant bread, ciabatta, etc) work excellent in a dutch oven. Crispy crust, soft open crumb and deep flavor from caramelization.

Pre-heat your pot, put your proofed dough inside, top with lid and use a bit of dough to seal the edges.

Reactions: Lucy R

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

I make this cornbread in an 12" iron skillet. I measure things out before I leave and mix all my dry ingredients together in a bag. Might be worth testing in your dutch oven. The key is to pre-heat so you get that nice caramelization on the bottom and sides

1¼ Cups flour
1 Cup cornmeal, finely ground
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1½ teaspoons kosher salt
4 each eggs
1 each 15 ounce can, creamed corn
½ Cup chopped roasted chilies
1 Cup shredded cheddar
6 ounces butter, room temperature
⅔ Cup sugar
a.n. pan spray

 Warm oven over coals
 Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl to combine
 Lightly beat eggs in a medium bowl to blend; whisk in creamed corn, chilies, and cheese
 Mix butter and sugar in a large bowl with a wooden spoon just until butter absorbs sugar but butter is still in
small pieces
 Add egg mixture and mix until just combined
 Mix in dry ingredients until barely incorporated
 Remove oven from coals then lightly coat with spray
 Scrape in batter (it should sizzle on contact and stay slightly mounded in the center)
 Bake until top is firm and springs back when gently pressed

Reactions: Wilson123

Lucy R

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Placerville, CA, USA
First Name
Lucy
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6LOU
I make this cornbread in an 12" iron skillet. I measure things out before I leave and mix all my dry ingredients together in a bag. Might be worth testing in your dutch oven. The key is to pre-heat so you get that nice caramelization on the bottom and sides

1¼ Cups flour
1 Cup cornmeal, finely ground
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1½ teaspoons kosher salt
4 each eggs
1 each 15 ounce can, creamed corn
½ Cup chopped roasted chilies
1 Cup shredded cheddar
6 ounces butter, room temperature
⅔ Cup sugar
a.n. pan spray

 Warm oven over coals
 Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl to combine
 Lightly beat eggs in a medium bowl to blend; whisk in creamed corn, chilies, and cheese
 Mix butter and sugar in a large bowl with a wooden spoon just until butter absorbs sugar but butter is still in
small pieces
 Add egg mixture and mix until just combined
 Mix in dry ingredients until barely incorporated
 Remove oven from coals then lightly coat with spray
 Scrape in batter (it should sizzle on contact and stay slightly mounded in the center)
 Bake until top is firm and springs back when gently pressed
YUM! We'll definitely try this. Thanks!