Dysan

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cope
Well plans have changed from needed/wanting something that seats 7 to wanting a truck for the versatility. But want to go with a truck that can keep up with the Wrangler in terms of always being able to find parts for it.

For example, when I was big into Jeeps I noticed that you can basically build a Wrangler from a catalog. Now I don’t think that would be possible with a truck but looking for the truck that would be closest to being able to do that. I know that both Ford and Chevy have catalogs that you can order a lot of parts from but want to hear from anyone who has a Dodge, Nissan or Toyota.

Want to make sure that if something rusts I can replace it, especially since I live were rust is prevalent.

Thanks in advance for any advice and input.

Reactions: MazeVX

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
72-88 GM. They aren't the best, but next to Jeeps they take the cake for parts availability and intetchangeability.
I have owned a few GMs from that erra as well as a 90s Dodge and an 86 Toyota. If I were to build a purpose built overlanding rig it would be an old school GM with a small block.

Reactions: jeepnjeff

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Just about every vehicle has a huge supply of aftermarket parts available , let the internet do the walking for you.

jkxj

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

las vegas
a price range might be needed for more accurate suggestions. Will say this though, for a truck a tacoma is hard to pass up.

Dysan

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cope
Sorry, was just trying to get a general idea if one had more easily accessible parts than another.

But for price range looking used under 25K, and have driven pretty much every truck made in the last five years except the Tacoma. Prefer to stay away from Toyota’s only because a used one is about the price of a new one here, I guess because of their reputation of being reliable people think they are plated gold or something. Was that way with GM trucks where I grew up, so no it is not because I don’t like Toyota(Love em just outta the price range) I love how I sit in all the trucks but the Silverado, but only got to drive the ones with manual seats. Always wondered if they had power seats like the Tahoe/Suburban.

Mid-size or Full-size doesn’t matter to me. Just want something I can keep for the long haul, getting tired of replacing vehicles. Oh and the only things I want is power seats, Crew Cab(kids) and Bluetooth.

Oh and thanks for the advise, just trying to narrow my search so I am not looking at 20 different trucks, but rather maybe just 3 or 4.

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
72-88 GM. They aren't the best, but next to Jeeps they take the cake for parts availability and intetchangeability.
I have owned a few GMs from that erra as well as a 90s Dodge and an 86 Toyota. If I were to build a purpose built overlanding rig it would be an old school GM with a small block.

Good call. They made millions of those trucks, and you can practically find parts for them just laying around in the woods.

I had a 73 K10 shortbed 4x4 when I was in high school in the mid 90's, and A) that truck was a beast with a 4" lift and 35" tires, and B) parts were super easy to get and dirt cheap even then. Now that they're collectible, I'd wager that there's not ONE part that can't be sourced for them. And all the tuneup parts, and water pumps, etc, are so generic that pretty much any parts store will still stock them. They built the small block from 1955-1999, so parts are plentiful (granted, there's a few generation in that time).

Also, body parts like door skins and fenders are still produced and are relatively cheap. LMC Truck is your friend for all those parts.

FYI though, the pickups ran from 1973-1987, and the Blazer/Suburban ran from 1973-1991.

jeepnjeff

Rank II

Enthusiast III

I drive a Jeep but I gotta go with those recommending a square body GM/Chevy C/K. They are plentiful and parts are cheap. Not only that but you can mix and match parts for a cheap upgrade path. For aftermarket engines and transmissions parts GM has everyone beat. Body panels are pretty affordable as well. I think I paid $19 for a rebuild caliper for one once... If I didn't have a Jeep, I'd probably have a K10 short bed or K5 Blazer.

Reactions: StuntmanMike

jkxj

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

las vegas
with 25k budget and minimum requirements and a family, i would suggest looking to see if you can find a used dodge 1500 with the 3.0 diesel you may be able to find one..

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Tacomas have by far the most aftermarket support for any type of off roading you want to do.

Plus they have fuel injection, air conditioners with r-134a, power door locks and windows, e-lockers if you buy the trd...

James

StuntmanMike

Rank IV

Advocate II

Newport RI
Tacomas have by far the most aftermarket support for any type of off roading you want to do.

Plus they have fuel injection, air conditioners with r-134a, power door locks and windows, e-lockers if you buy the trd...

James

Parts are more expensive though. Parts for a squarebody GM or Jeep XJ are far cheaper.

To be fair though, even the newest squarebodies are at the age where they're most likely going to be a project vehicle for a while. I love squarebodies, but I've completely ruled them out in my search for a rig, as they're not well suited for daily driver duties.

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

But parts are smaller, and easier to work with than a full size vehicle. Full size struck breaks in higher denominations than mid size and compact stuff. Plus you need bigger tools because torque values are greater.

For years I only had 3/8” tools for my foreign cars. When I got into full sized cars I had to buy 1/2” tools to keep up...

Parts aren’t really that much more either, and in my experience they break less often.

James

jeepnjeff

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Parts are more expensive though. Parts for a squarebody GM or Jeep XJ are far cheaper.

To be fair though, even the newest squarebodies are at the age where they're most likely going to be a project vehicle for a while. I love squarebodies, but I've completely ruled them out in my search for a rig, as they're not well suited for daily driver duties.
So you're going to get a XJ? Good choice! I recommend a '97-01. The revision makes them look a lot more contemporary than the pre-revision. 4.0L with an AW4 (auto) is very common and pretty bullet-proof. Like the GM, the XJ's parts are cheap as well. I think out of the box the XJ is a solid choice. Has overdrive for cruising and is MPFI. The square body's don't have either unless you swap them. With a budget of $25K though, you could go hog wild on an XJ build without having to worry too much about dependability and maintenance items.

Cpyonker

Rank III

Advocate II

So you're going to get a XJ? Good choice! I recommend a '97-01. The revision makes them look a lot more contemporary than the pre-revision. 4.0L with an AW4 (auto) is very common and pretty bullet-proof. Like the GM, the XJ's parts are cheap as well. I think out of the box the XJ is a solid choice. Has overdrive for cruising and is MPFI. The square body's don't have either unless you swap them. With a budget of $25K though, you could go hog wild on an XJ build without having to worry too much about dependability and maintenance items.

And you would probably still be under budget with the xj

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo

Add one more to the bandwagon. But it is '73-'87. "72 was still the previous generation ('67-'72). The end years were strung out as the pickups changed over to the new body style in '88, but the daullies and Suburbans held onto the square body through '92.

How many other vehicles can you walk into an average auto parts store and find they have tail lights it available, on the shelf? And also have the same degree of support for the engine?

Run a throttle body fuel injection system and you have a solid platform, well suited to lots of situations and capable of being maintained for many years to come.

Dysan

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cope
Thanks for all the input, would love some old iron but wife wants something within the last 8 to 10 years because she wants me to have the stock Bluetooth so on the rare occasion she drives the vehicle it is available to her. Plus I need a crew cab for kid hauling, and it is hard as heck to find any old iron on the island and not worth it to get one sight unseen and ship it.

Was actually starting to look at either a new Frontier or Tacoma, or a new-to-me non-Toyota(used are as much as new) unless I find a good deal.

I do appreciate everyone’s input, was hoping to be back on the mainland by now but plans change.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Add one more to the bandwagon. But it is '73-'87. "72 was still the previous generation ('67-'72). The end years were strung out as the pickups changed over to the new body style in '88, but the daullies and Suburbans held onto the square body through '92.

How many other vehicles can you walk into an average auto parts store and find they have tail lights it available, on the shelf? And also have the same degree of support for the engine?

Run a throttle body fuel injection system and you have a solid platform, well suited to lots of situations and capable of being maintained for many years to come.
Honestly its amazing what parts you can find in stock for domestics sometimes. Back in my old school iron days I was running a 1948 Pontiac Torpedo, it had a flat head inline six in it when I got it and I was able to get tune up parts super easy, it blew me away. But when I got done building the flathead inline 8 parts were no longer easy to find, but it was worth it. I mean 98HP simply was not enough, 125HP now we are talking...
But back on topic, I always get confused when the year splits are on the old school GM trucks. But anyway I think everyone is getting what Im saying, the square body GMs are king when it comes parts availability and interchangeability.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Since I owned both '72 and '73 I am pretty good on that year break.

The gradual transition GM made from '88 to '92 is a bit confusing. Especially since folks like to take the last few years of Suburban sheet metal and retrofit them onto earlier square bodies.