Francis84

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Opelika, Alabama
First Name
Francis
Last Name
Huber
Is the exoskeleton also from ARE? My dealer is telling me that the Overland model won't work with their "metal subframe system" used on the CXHD. I prefer the looks of the Overland topper to the CX.
As far as I can tell when you purchase the CXHD or the MXHD they are part of AREs package. It would be amazing id they made the Overland topper with the skeleton, it looks far better then the CX and MX series toppers.
Do you think framing it with 2x4s would work, I have no welding skills! :)

ZR2inCO

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Denver, CO
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Schultz
Member #

I agree, the cost of the CXHD is overly high IMHO as well; however, the reason I am going that route is that my family rafts and does astronomy on our trips which frequently take us through "civilized" places where temptation is apparently too high for some folks. I'll spend the extra up front to ensure my telescopes aren't ripped off. The topper route is the only way to get the space I need to protect them and I want an RTT on it...hence the CXHD. I'll have Decked drawer system in the bed too so the devices that seal the bed at rail height just don't give me enough space for the astronomy trips. For everything else it would be better than the topper route though I believe.
Shoot the thread a post when you make your decision, good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using OB Talk mobile app

Overlandllama

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Orion
Last Name
Walther
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CKJ
Is the exoskeleton also from ARE? My dealer is telling me that the Overland model won't work with their "metal subframe system" used on the CXHD. I prefer the looks of the Overland topper to the CX.
It was ordered that way so yes, believe it is ARE but I may be remembering incorrectly. I had the sense that it was simply an option just like the other stuff like the windoors, sliding front window, paint matching, etc. I'm happy to look into it though.

Plisken

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins CO, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Shields
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0GZI
Service Branch
US Army
It was ordered that way so yes, believe it is ARE but I may be remembering incorrectly. I had the sense that it was simply an option just like the other stuff like the windoors, sliding front window, paint matching, etc. I'm happy to look into it though.
No worries, thanks for the info. I'll put my dealer's feet to the fire on it ;) He may simply want to up sell me on the more expensive CX topper. I truly appreciate your response. I delayed ordering on Saturday pending it.

Overlandllama

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Orion
Last Name
Walther
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CKJ
Just checked some old e-mails and they called it an "HD skeletal system" which was separate from the "rack".... at least, they were quoted separately. The rack definitely attaches to the skeletal frame.

Reactions: Plisken

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
No worries, thanks for the info. I'll put my dealer's feet to the fire on it ;) He may simply want to up sell me on the more expensive CX topper. I truly appreciate your response. I delayed ordering on Saturday pending it.
You can make your own for any topper out there. This is exactly what that skeleton is made of. https://8020.net/shop

Reactions: Plisken