Launch Member

Traveler I

Denver, CO
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Schultz
Member #

I bought a 2017 Chevy Colorado ZR2 last year and after having the truck for about 9 months, I'm starting to look into getting a topper. Not only does it open up your bed for more storage (and DIY storage systems), but will keep things dry! I've always driven a Wrangler in the past so truck based overlanding is new to me...

Looking around, I like the ARE Overland topper but it seems everyone with a truck like mine went Leer...Just hoping to get some opinions/info before moving forward so if you have a topper on your Colorado, Canyon, Tacoma, etc. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts!20170617_201520.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using OB Talk mobile app

motorpig60

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mason, OH
Member #

I have a Leer 100XR. I went to buy the 100XL, but the saleman actually talked me into the lower model. I take my dog with me on trips and the XR has half slider side windows, vs the XL, which has the SUV style pop out rears. So far, I am extremely happy.

I looked at Leer, ARE and Century, with Century and Leer supposedly made in the same factory. When it came down to it, I personally couldn't tell much of a difference between the three. I looked at it like a Ford vs Chevy question. For me, it came down to the closest dealer. The three similar caps were all within $100 of eachother, but make sure to call around because my local dealers differed by $125 on the exact same cap.

Be sure to check the websites too. They always have coupons that will give you a free headliner, tilt window, etc.

Reactions: ZR2inCO

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

There's a thread over on the coloradofans forum titled "Caps" that has several pages of pictures of different caps on the 2nd gen Colorado/Canyon. The predominant 2 are ARE and Leer. I went with the Leer 100XL and haven't regretted it.

-Curtiss

Johnboy

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

I went with an undercover tonneau top. They are extremely light weight, 50 to 60 lbs,and can be removed easily when you need to use your full truck bed for large items. And they keep the bed completely dry. The other tops that do not cover the bed rails will let some water in. I went thru the car wash yesterday, the ultimate test, and not a drop of water got into my truck bed.

ZR2inCO

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Denver, CO
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Schultz
Member #

There's a thread over on the coloradofans forum titled "Caps" that has several pages of pictures of different caps on the 2nd gen Colorado/Canyon. The predominant 2 are ARE and Leer. I went with the Leer 100XL and haven't regretted it.

-Curtiss
Do you have a link to the discussion? My searches aren't bringing up any results... Thanks for the info!

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I’ve owned both a leer and an ARE. They were both excellent. The only difference was the ARE plastic faded faster. I’d be happy with either in the future.

ZR2inCO

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Denver, CO
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Schultz
Member #

Probably good to add that my eventual plan would be to mount a RTT (or trailnest) on the top so something that can support the weight would be ideal...

Plisken

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins CO, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Shields
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0GZI
Service Branch
US Army
I'm having an ARE CXHD topper installed soon. The dealer says it is rated for 500lbs while in motion, "much more" when stationary. He knows I plan to put a RTT on it. My question for this group is on the roof rack choices from Yakima. Should I go with the Corebar or the JetStream? I haven't settled 100% on a specific RTT but am considering both CVT and 23Zero.

ZR2inCO

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Denver, CO
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Schultz
Member #

I went with an undercover tonneau top. They are extremely light weight, 50 to 60 lbs,and can be removed easily when you need to use your full truck bed for large items. And they keep the bed completely dry. The other tops that do not cover the bed rails will let some water in. I went thru the car wash yesterday, the ultimate test, and not a drop of water got into my truck bed.
I've toyed with the idea of something like this too. Been looking at the Undercover Ridgelander cover that will allow me to throw a RTT on top of it. Looks good!

Sent from my SM-T580 using OB Talk mobile app

Overlandllama

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Orion
Last Name
Walther
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CKJ
upload_2018-3-8_14-45-29.jpeg upload_2018-3-8_14-43-3.jpeg

Our ARE topper was installed with an exo-skeleton that takes the weight of a 150lb RTT. The topper itself does not support the cargo weight. I like the system a lot and even though I lose a little bit of space with it, the exo skeleton's extruded bars offer plenty of attachment points.

View attachment 50237View attachment 50237

ZR2inCO

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Denver, CO
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Schultz
Member #

View attachment 50240 View attachment 50239

Our ARE topper was installed with an exo-skeleton that takes the weight of a 150lb RTT. The topper itself does not support the cargo weight. I like the system a lot and even though I lose a little bit of space with it, the exo skeleton's extruded bars offer plenty of attachment points.

I've never seen anything like that before, awesome! I love the Overland cap, my favorite from ARE

Plisken

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins CO, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Shields
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0GZI
Service Branch
US Army
Anyone have one of these on their mid-sized truck? Very curious about what people actually think about it practically...

https://www.undercoverinfo.com/i-30122051-2015-2018-chevy-colorado-5-bed-undercover-ridgelander-truck-bed-cover.html#!year=2017||make=CHEVY||model=COLORADO

I don't have any experience with it but really like the practicality of it, especially on a daily driver. An RTT would ride lower and it looks great. My question is would this still leave enough gear space for a family of 3 with an RTT for a week or two of overlanding?

Francis84

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Opelika, Alabama
First Name
Francis
Last Name
Huber
I have been looking into these as well, the ARE CX HD seems to be a good one...but the price, I'm not sure it is worth it as apposed to the Leitner Cargo System. It seems that for cost the Leitner work out to be the same in the long run, but you could buy it piece by piece. Plus until someone calls me or sends an email it looks like ARE doesn't make the HD for the F150 5.5ft bed. What are your thoughts?

ZR2inCO

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Denver, CO
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Schultz
Member #

I have been looking into these as well, the ARE CX HD seems to be a good one...but the price, I'm not sure it is worth it as apposed to the Leitner Cargo System. It seems that for cost the Leitner work out to be the same in the long run, but you could buy it piece by piece. Plus until someone calls me or sends an email it looks like ARE doesn't make the HD for the F150 5.5ft bed. What are your thoughts?
I like the Leitner Rack a lot but it bothers me that it's so tall, extending well above the height of the cab. It would bother me if I was in a full sized truck... Plus, having a weatherproof and secure bed sounds good for those rainy days/nights; or those spent driving around town

Reactions: Francis84

Plisken

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins CO, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Shields
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0GZI
Service Branch
US Army
I agree, the cost of the CXHD is overly high IMHO as well; however, the reason I am going that route is that my family rafts and does astronomy on our trips which frequently take us through "civilized" places where temptation is apparently too high for some folks. I'll spend the extra up front to ensure my telescopes aren't ripped off. The topper route is the only way to get the space I need to protect them and I want an RTT on it...hence the CXHD. I'll have Decked drawer system in the bed too so the devices that seal the bed at rail height just don't give me enough space for the astronomy trips. For everything else it would be better than the topper route though I believe.

Plisken

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins CO, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Shields
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0GZI
Service Branch
US Army
View attachment 50240 View attachment 50239

Is the exoskeleton also from ARE? My dealer is telling me that the Overland model won't work with their "metal subframe system" used on the CXHD. I prefer the looks of the Overland topper to the CX.

Reactions: The Lone Overlander