Truck Canopy Camper

• HTML tutorial

Dylan89153

Rank 0

Traveler I

So I finally got myself a canopy on my Silverado! It’s a perfect fit for my truck. It’s not color matched but it still looks great. I have a plan drawn out for how I plan to build the inside which I’ll hopefully start this weekend. I do have an issue though. When im driving in the rain, water is able to get in through the front bottom corners of the truck bed. Has anytime else had this problem before? How did you seal it off? I’m also worried that water might leak in through the back door of the canopy since I can see light coming through it in the bottom corners. Also what have you guys done to insulate your canopy in cold weather conditions? IMG_6376.JPG

91B/91S

For sealing the tailgate, I have had good success using tailgate sealing tape. It is a foam tape you put between the bed and the tailgate including the sides of the tailgate.

Dylan89153

Rank 0

Traveler I

I've been slowly making progress through my build, we had a little snow which put a damper on things for a couple weekends but I'm back in action! So basically my plan is to put the bed on the right side, and have a cabinet/shelf on the left, with an isle in the middle to put my feet when I'm sitting. I'll also have a board to place at bed heighth in the isle section to extend the bed another 14 inches for a total 48 inch wide bed if my girlfriend comes along. You can see where it will rest on the side of the bed in one of the pictures, it's a blue colored piece of wood. You can also see where the other wide of the bed extension will rest on the cabinet. (Also a blue board)
I have a drawer that slides underneath the bed, which isn't on rollers or anything. It takes some effort to slide but it's still pretty easy. A problem I ran into was the edge of the drawer hitting the plastic liner on the tailgate so I have to lift up slightly to get over that. I plan on making a lid to cover the top of the drawer so I can use it as a counter top. The lid will probably be in three sections in case I need to get to something under it while Its covered in stuff. This will be used for cooking.
My cabinet/shelf was a lot more complicated than I thought it would be. It's still being made but it's almost finished. Its about 15 inches wide on the inside, which is plenty for me. The doors were simple to make. I didn't want to deal with hinges and swinging doors getting in the way, so I made sliding ones by cutting some channels from 1/4 inch plywood to slide through with some finger holes to grab. I'm going to line the top shelf with carpet to keep stuff from sliding around too much. Once everything is done and all the little things are completed I'll also line the bed and the floor in the isle with carpet. After that I'll run power to the inside for lights and accessories!
I've also had to make a few mechanical and electrical repairs too which has been taking up my time... :(
I'll add some more pics when I put the cabinet/shelf back Into the canopyIMG_1470.jpegScreenshot_20190312-175048_Gallery.jpeg20190312_175449.jpeg20190312_170702.jpeg20190312_170714.jpeg20190312_170724.jpeg

Attachments

Tim Roberts

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

I've been slowly making progress through my build, we had a little snow which put a damper on things for a couple weekends but I'm back in action! So basically my plan is to put the bed on the right side, and have a cabinet/shelf on the left, with an isle in the middle to put my feet when I'm sitting. I'll also have a board to place at bed heighth in the isle section to extend the bed another 14 inches for a total 48 inch wide bed if my girlfriend comes along. You can see where it will rest on the side of the bed in one of the pictures, it's a blue colored piece of wood. You can also see where the other wide of the bed extension will rest on the cabinet. (Also a blue board)
I have a drawer that slides underneath the bed, which isn't on rollers or anything. It takes some effort to slide but it's still pretty easy. A problem I ran into was the edge of the drawer hitting the plastic liner on the tailgate so I have to lift up slightly to get over that. I plan on making a lid to cover the top of the drawer so I can use it as a counter top. The lid will probably be in three sections in case I need to get to something under it while Its covered in stuff. This will be used for cooking.
My cabinet/shelf was a lot more complicated than I thought it would be. It's still being made but it's almost finished. Its about 15 inches wide on the inside, which is plenty for me. The doors were simple to make. I didn't want to deal with hinges and swinging doors getting in the way, so I made sliding ones by cutting some channels from 1/4 inch plywood to slide through with some finger holes to grab. I'm going to line the top shelf with carpet to keep stuff from sliding around too much. Once everything is done and all the little things are completed I'll also line the bed and the floor in the isle with carpet. After that I'll run power to the inside for lights and accessories!
I've also had to make a few mechanical and electrical repairs too which has been taking up my time... :(
I'll add some more pics when I put the cabinet/shelf back Into the canopyView attachment 89181View attachment 89183View attachment 89188View attachment 89191View attachment 89192View attachment 89193
I'll add some more pics when I put the cabinet/shelf back Into the canopyView attachment 89181View attachment 89183View attachment 89188View attachment 89191View attachment 89192View attachment 89193
I’m new to Overland Bound and happy to see some other Silverado’s. I think they make a great Overland Vehicle. Here are a couple of pictures of mine and look forward to seeing yours when done.

Have a great day and see you on the trail.

Reactions: RoarinRow

Dylan89153

Rank 0

Traveler I

Well, the camper is finished! Theres still a few things that I'm trying to work out, but Its usable. For example, the cabinet on the left doesn't have a proper door, so I've been using a scrap piece of wood and a bungie cord to close it off. I'd like go have it swing open but from right to left, but the curve of the side of the bed where the tailgate meets gets in the way. I'd also like to figure out a way to open the sliding windows without letting the rain in. I'm having the same problem with the back window. When it flips open the rain drips through the space between the window and the canopy. Other than that it's been working out pretty damn well! I've only had time to go camping in it twice so far but this summer should packed full of adventures!20190427_164653.jpeg20190427_164741.jpeg20190407_172531.jpeg20190504_143154.jpeg

Attachments

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Looks awesome guys. Wish I had your/any skills on making a platform. I stuck with store bought things so I can easily revert back to an empty bed when I need to and store it back in my garage without worrying about space and such. Here my setup. I have 3 small kids so wanted more room on the side in which they can move around.

space.jpeg