Launch Member

Advocate III

LA,CA
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
M
Member #

maybe I'm super paranoid and watched too many movies, has anyone ever come across threats to your safety from crossing paths with people or animals while at camp in the middle of nowhere?

I'm planning on going on many trips with my 11yo son and would hate to put him in a position where I couldn't protect him.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Reactions: Roam_CO85

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I've run up on an illegal pot farm on federal land a few years back off an old logging road. Had me on edge a bit until I was back to civilization, but luckily never ran into the people who were running it. Reported it to the sheriff and it was cleared out before it got raided the following week.

Given the amount of time I've spent in the woods I'd say that they are still far safer than your average city street at night.

Reactions: REWDBOY

jimmynotjim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

If I'm in Grizzly country I carry bear spray but other than that I'm not too worried. I've not seen a Griz yet, but I've had some Bull Moose come through camp and depending on their mood they can be almost as dangerous. Just have to be smart and calm and give them their distance, even if it's "your" camp.

Agree with systemdelete that you're more likely to find human trouble out of the woods than in them.

REWDBOY

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

LA,CA
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
M
Member #

Thanks guys, that was my thoughts in regards to two legged critters.. It's always good to hear from those more experienced. Happy trails!

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

When you are exploring/camping without support you should always be aware of you situation/location. Situational awareness is a must where ever you are. Camping on animal trails, on or very near water sources is not recommended. You should always have a means of defense, some things you can replace, some things you can't, Ron

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

I know there's a much larger thread about camping with firearms, but I always have at least 2 firearms with me when I camp (sidearm, and one of my various AR-15-based pistols or rifles).

Also, it's a good idea to have a personal GPS device (e.g. SPOT, Garmin InReach, etc.).

As far as critters go, I think a mountain lion or other large cat would spook me more than a bear of any kind (bears mostly want nothing to do with you, and if you're making noise, typically aren't going to approach camp), or moose or elk.

Frankly, in order of concern, for me it goes:
1.) Human
2.) Mountain lion
3.) Pissed off moose
4.) Pissed off elk
5.) Bear

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

I agree with this list. My bad experiences with humans are better left unposted. I've heard a mountain lion's growl, It will make your the hair on the back your neck stand up. Ron

Beer Hounds

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakeville, MN, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Pettit
Member #

Luckily enough I have never crossed paths with anything (2 or 4 legs) that I was overly concerned with. I do however prepare for such occasions, and always always always have something to defend my family if needed. I do not leave the house for the woods without my EDC pistol at a minimum. It is better to have it an not need it, than need it and not have it.

REWDBOY

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

LA,CA
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
M
Member #

I agree with everything you guys said. I'm 42 and haven't had any kind of formal training for the wilderness. I've always wanted to possess this kind of knowledge and definitely want to begin my son's education in these matters. I plan on taking some in depth wilderness and tactical training so I can be better prepared.
Thanks again to all for your time and feedback.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Just this past weekend we pulled into a fantastic looking dispersed camp spot. Within just minutes of getting out of the rig, my wife and I counted no less than a half dozen piles of bear scat and about a dozen piles of wildcat scat. We have three kids 10, 6, and 1 so we said a big NOPE and moved on to a different spot. I'm sure we would have been fine, but we didn't feel like being paranoid all night, plus we didn't want our kids to step in sh*t and it was literally everywhere.

We do make sure the 6 and the 10 year old know at least some basics of what to do around our local threats - mainly bears, mountain lions, rattlesnakes. We regularly practice having them "show us what to do when you see a bear" at which point they both start screaming and yelling at the top of their lungs "HEY BEAR! GO AWAY BEAR! BEAR PATROL! NOT TODAY BEAR!" etc. they have quite a bit of fun with it.

Stickman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Eads, TN
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Treanor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FBH
Situational awareness! If anyone or any thing walks into your camp unannounced, you are in danger. Alaskans are always armed with large caliber hand guns. They are the smart ones.

Although bear, cougar, etc. are present in some environments, it is rare that you will share a spaces unless you surprise them; or if you sleep with your food (not recommended).

I would be more concerned with people. I think a big ass can of bear spray would be a good non-lethal option. Another idea is a hand held air horn.

1. Make a plan in the event of...
2. Share your plan with others in your party
3. Rehearse the plan
4. Stick to the plan

Stickman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Eads, TN
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Treanor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FBH
Not trying to sound like a jerk, but I honestly would never trust my families safety to an airhorn. That is just my 2 cents.
Me either! We carry multiple options stored / placed In different locations. Did not want to sound like an alarmist weapons nut. Totally agree with you. Glad you shared your two cents.

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

I worry more about the two legged type more than the animals. Except a lion or a moose ive guided hunters on both and they can be pretty devastating!! But around these parts you come across some pretty interesting people. Camping is cheap so you get alot of different types of people. I carry my edc pistol everywhere as well and carry a ar platform in the rig. My motto is to have it and not need it is better then needing it and not having it. Never have had a horror story knock on wood but always make sure to know whats going on

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

I know there's a much larger thread about camping with firearms, but I always have at least 2 firearms with me when I camp (sidearm, and one of my various AR-15-based pistols or rifles).

Also, it's a good idea to have a personal GPS device (e.g. SPOT, Garmin InReach, etc.).

As far as critters go, I think a mountain lion or other large cat would spook me more than a bear of any kind (bears mostly want nothing to do with you, and if you're making noise, typically aren't going to approach camp), or moose or elk.

Frankly, in order of concern, for me it goes:
1.) Human
2.) Mountain lion
3.) Pissed off moose
4.) Pissed off elk
5.) Bear
Mountain lions are ambush predators. Not very likely they are going to stroll into your camp and deciede to take you down. They will wait on high ground, such as a tree limb, and as you walk under it, pounce on you if they think they are stronger. Not likely to go after an adult person either unless they think you are sick or weakened and are an easy mark. They will defend a kill if you stumble upon that situation. A bear is a bigger issue as they will tear into anything for food and then you never really know how that will go. I have seen bears go nose to nose with people unexpectedly and run away scared. Other times I have seen them go through large camp sites and chase people off for food on the grill.

Stickman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Eads, TN
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Treanor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FBH
The wife and I have put some additional thought into the idea of camp security when in camping in dispersed or remote areas. We have opined that it does not matter what type of protection you have (pepper spray, firearm, machete, etc.) if you are asleep in your tent when the threat (animal or human) arrives.

We recently watched a youtube video documenting 5 bear attacks during the month of July 2017 in North America. Of the 5 only 1 attack was fatal (Grizzly). The other 4 (non-fatal) attacks were black bear. Out of the 4 black bear attacks 3 of the campers woke up with their heads in the bears mouth. The 4th awoke with his foot in the bears mouth. Now the Grizzly just charged into a multiple tent campsite, killed a man, and fed the man to her cubs. Brutal.

The key is to have some type of warning before you wake up with your head in a bears mouth. My wife has put forth the low cost / low-tech idea of using a fishing bell or a simply a bell. String a trip wire (fishing line) around ones campsite at bedtime connected to the bell. Bell ringing = intruder in camp. Granny get your gun! Don't forget your flashlight, so you can PROPERLY identify friend or foe. Caution: Momentary night blindness may be an issue.

Just a thought....

Any other ideas out there?

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

The wife and I have put some additional thought into the idea of camp security when in camping in dispersed or remote areas. We have opined that it does not matter what type of protection you have (pepper spray, firearm, machete, etc.) if you are asleep in your tent when the threat (animal or human) arrives.

We recently watched a youtube video documenting 5 bear attacks during the month of July 2017 in North America. Of the 5 only 1 attack was fatal (Grizzly). The other 4 (non-fatal) attacks were black bear. Out of the 4 black bear attacks 3 of the campers woke up with their heads in the bears mouth. The 4th awoke with his foot in the bears mouth. Now the Grizzly just charged into a multiple tent campsite, killed a man, and fed the man to her cubs. Brutal.

The key is to have some type of warning before you wake up with your head in a bears mouth. My wife has put forth the low cost / low-tech idea of using a fishing bell or a simply a bell. String a trip wire (fishing line) around ones campsite at bedtime connected to the bell. Bell ringing = intruder in camp. Granny get your gun! Don't forget your flashlight, so you can PROPERLY identify friend or foe. Caution: Momentary night blindness may be an issue.

Just a thought....

I’m liking my rooftop tent a little more after those stories...

Reactions: Stickman

Roam_CO85

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Loveland, CO, USA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Barch
Member #

Just a thought....

I agree with this post 100%. We normally camp with our dogs and they normally sense something is around before we do. I have a heeler that takes it fully upon her self to always be on the look out and keep her guard up. When we dont is when I fully agree there should be a warning device. The fishing line with bells are what we use packing horses. Found 550 cord or a twine works better then fishing line. Fishing line breaks to easy. Ive seen some primer popper devices https://fithops.com/ Its just a shotshell with a primer that trips the wire and pops the primer when its tripped. Loud!! Ive seen some that you can get at a army surplus store and its a granade top with the guts out of it but the striker and spring are still in it. and you can stick a shotgun primer in it. If bells dont wake you up both of these will. And lastly yes a white light to recognize friend or foe. I keep a flashlight next to me plus both firearm plateforms have a weapon mounted “white” light

If those links are not allowed in can remove them.

As far as flashlights are involved. Something that has more than 500 lumens are alot brighter. Alot of mine are over 1000 so if something does go bump in the night. Someone coming into your camp does have bad attempt you shine that light in there face it uselly stops them going any farther. Alot more bad things happen at night than during the day.

Quick story. Was working for a outfitter at the time. This guy came up to our base camp and said there was these people shooting and making all kinds of racket and the rounds where popping off pretty close to this guys camp so he needed our phone to call and report it. Come to find out it was major gang from the city out being reckless and offensive. Well L.E said to be careful because they all cleared out. Next morning the guy that reported them came Walking this time back into our corral system into our main cabin asked to call law enforcement again and a tow truck. These hoods ended up sneaking back into his camp and cut his pickups brake lines. Found out trying to back up to his camper. This was 2.5 hours from any kind of help besides our base camp.

Sometimes its alot easier to move locations and then report someone. Or leave than to be brave.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stickman

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Maybe it's just me, but if someone finds themselves needing to booby trap the campsite to feel safe at night, they're probably not cut out for this hobby ;)

edit: c'mon, i'm being silly

Last edited:

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

Maybe it's just me, but if someone finds themselves needing to booby trap the campsite to feel safe at night, they're probably not cut out for this hobby ;)
I don't think that's a necessary or appropriate comment, especially from a moderator and a staff member, nor do I think it's in line with the ethos of OB.

I also don't see an issue with someone putting twine with bells on it around their camp to alert them to guests, whether human or non-human. I think the "poppers" might have pros and cons (if someone is armed, it could be mistaken for a fired shot and otherwise escalate the situation unnecessarily).

Here in Colorado, we have a big problem with transients and they camp legally and illegally in the mountains, especially in the front range close to Denver. Most of them are harmless, but some of them are not. Some of them are drug addicts. Most of them have nothing to lose, are hungry or need money. People that have nothing to lose are unpredictable. Whether they are coming into your camp to politely ask for help, panhandle, or steal - food, steal equipment, steal money - or do harm, you have no idea, but chances are, they are not a welcome guest.