Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I'm going to try to write out some of the trips I've been on over the years. These are less overlanding, although some of them do involve driving the wheeling vehicle several hours to get to the destination, camping, wheeling, repairing and driving the several hours back.

The pictures will be sparse, we're usually too busy actually wheeling or wrenching to take pictures. I wish we would have documented better but I'll post what pictures I can find. Hopefully they will do justice to the trip.

Most of these trips were taken in my Buddy's 79 F150 Truggy. We built this thing from the ground up, starting with a rusted out farm truck he bought for $500 and eventually going through everything except the NP435 transmission that I'm aware of. I'll leave the details of the truck to his build thread on Pirate4x4 though.

So here we go, I'm going to post this, then start typing out the story in my next post.

Uwharrie 11-2016
Harlan Southern Shine Crawl 5-08

Last edited:
Reactions: Zargon

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
This trip was in November, the most recent and the first one I have access to pictures of right off without having to dig out flash drives and external hard drives. We've gotten older since we started doing this kind of thing and as such, trailer the trail rigs. Getting home Monday for work is now a priority and it also lends it's self to more adventurous wheeling since there is less worry about making it home.

So this trip started on Thursday night. I hooked my trailer to the truck and headed to my buddy Matt's house after work. His little brother needed to use my trailer to haul his CJ3A for his first ever off-roading trip. This was a very proud moment for Matt and I'm honestly glad I was there to see it too.

That night we hooked my trailer to his Dad's truck and loaded the Jeep at the farm, then headed to Matt's house where we checked all the fluids on and loaded his F150 then hit the hay. The next day started about 7am, with Matt out feeding the animals before he left and me doing final checkouts on the truck and gear. We hit the local Food Lion for groceries for the trip then hit the road to Uwharrie. From his house, we took 221 over to Hillsville, Va then down I77 to I74 to US52 through Winston-Salem down to Lexington, NC. From there we went east on 64 to 109 South to take us right into Uwharrie. We camped at the hunt camp just up the road from the Eldorado Outpost in Troy.

Many moons ago, we learned the importance of setting up camp before you go wheeling. We learned this by trying to setup the most complicated tent known to mankind at midnight with the use of one small, almost dead flashlight after 3-4 hours on the trail after 3-4 hours driving down there. So, first things first, we set up camp. We were waiting on another friend and his son to show up which means that we go wheeling and hope we have enough cell service to get a call or text when he gets there. I'm a Ham but have been unable to talk any of my other buddies into getting their license or even being able to get them to install a simple CB setup. It's infuriating, but it is what it is...

We picked a few easy trails to get Andrew (Matt's little brother) acquainted with his Jeep and just a little taste of off-road driving. I remember we ran Dickey Bell from top to bottom and Falls Dam. At the end of Falls Dam we ran into Wolf Den, then down to Slab Pile and back to the 553 Access Road on the south end of Rocky Mountain Loop.

Here is Matt's truck and Andrew's Jeep coming down the hill top hill climb on Dickey Bell.

Again, most of the time we're riding so picture taking is sparse. I got these because I was already out helping spot Andrew down and just stayed out to take a few pictures of the F150 doing it's thing as well.

When we got back to camp, we got word that our buddy Brett had gotten a later start than planned and was a few hours out. We fired up the stove (my buddy's stove if you've seen my post in the camp stove thread) and got to work on some fajitas with rice and some cold beer to wash it down.

Brett and his son showed up around 9:30 if memory serves and we all hung out around the fire and had a great time. It's nice to get out and see old friends plus we were coaching Andrew and his buddy on trail etiquette and picking lines and all those kinds of things. Apparently in that family you make friends with a gear head to bring along on your adventures with you and we were trying to give them pointers to develop the kind of driver/spotter relationship that Matt and I have developed over the last 20ish years of doing things like this.

The next morning we fixed some oatmeal and sausage patties then started packing up for the day on the trail. Matt and I were headed out to get some gas from the Outpost and some drinks (soda, guys, soda) for on the trail. On our way back, we were talking about tuning the truck some and I was watching his AFR gauge as he was driving. When we turned onto the road to the hunt camp, he stopped and told me to watch the gauge while he did a hard pull to see how the engine was running and possibly make some jetting changes to it.

So he revved it up and dumped the clutch, tires (Super Swamper TSL Bias Ply Q78's) aired down to 10psi and we were off. The 1-2 shift is almost immediate with the super low first in the NP435, but when he dumped the clutch it slid sideways and was spinning. He let out but the truck was wobbling and acting funny. We both started looking out the doors and checking things and Matt said "I think we broke a rear axle, the back tire on this side is moving around." We limped it back to camp and sure enough, the axle was snapped. He's never carried a rear axle spare as he's never managed to break one before. We talked it over when we got back and loaded it on the trailer to work on. This way it would be there if we decided to pack it in and head home or at least up in the air where working on it doesn't involve crawling around on the ground by two guys with hurt backs and creaky joints.

I immediately got on the phone, calling junk yards as far away as Winston-Salem looking for a shaft. We finally found a little Mom and Pop joint near Silver Hill, NC called Floyd's. Floyd is an older gentleman in his 80's that still gets up and opens this little yard every day except Sunday. This being Saturday, we were in luck. He said he had some old Ford trucks and should have an axle for us. Matt and I told Brett and Andrew to hit the trails and have fun, we should be back by lunch time and we'd meet them at the camp then and we headed up the road to get some axle shafts.

I wish I had taken pictures of Floyd's place it was really neat with some cool old vehicles stashed there. We arrived just as he pulled up and unlocked the gate. At the shop, he got his bobcat and told us to follow him. We rode around to the back side of the place where there was a 78 F100 long bed sitting. Matt's truck has the 31 spline axle shafts and it's really a crap shoot as to which trucks got the 31 splines vs the 28 splines but we figured that being a V8 long bed, we stood a decent chance even being a 2wd. Floyd got some old rims to stack up under the axle and Matt and I got to work pulling wheels off. Floyd apparently doesn't deal with many people who've been into messing the junk vehicles as extensively as Matt and myself. He said he was really impressed with us and that really meant a lot to us, being in our early 30's, many of our generation don't have these skills.

Anyways, the truck turned out to be 28 spline, which was a real bummer but Floyd told us to take a look around and if any other truck had the right axle, he'd lift it and we could check it. While Matt was throwing the axle back in the F100 so it wasn't crippled if Floyd ever wanted to move it, I went on a search of the other trucks in the lot. Ford is WEIRD... I found some very small lug pattern 9" axles under F150s that looked like they had a Jeep 5x4.5 lug pattern and a myriad of other combinations, but none we suspected would have the right spline count. I finally identified the best bet for finding what we needed and then Floyd mentioned he might have something in the rafters at the shop. Not having much to lose at this point, we followed him back up and started looking through what he had. BINGO! Two 31 spline shafts with decent looking seals and bearings, ready to go and no more wrenching needed to be done. We paid the man and signed his register and were off, back to to Denton, NC to hit the Advance Auto for oil, sealer and some little things like a strong magnet to try to pull the stub out of the carrier.

Reactions: ASNOBODY and Zargon

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Back at camp, about noon like we had hoped, we started tearing into the truck. We pulled the shaft and were pretty impressed with what we found:

I got to work cleaning up the new shaft to put back in and Matt went about trying to pull the stub out. *clank* "What was that?"
Matt: "Um, I think we're going to have to pull the third out, the spanner nut appears to have been torn out of the third member."
Me: "Uh huh..."

We tore the other side down and pulled the third member out of the truck and found that when the shaft broke, it had forcefully removed the spanner nut on the carrier bearing on that side and wedged the broken stub in there. It had also deformed the carrier and made it impossible to remove the bearing in the future without turning it in a lathe.

Well, now what? "What do we have to lose putting it back together and trying to run it? We've got a trailer and nothing but time!" was the consensus view. By this time, our friends were back and we had also been joined by some guys we had wheeled with there almost a decade ago who recognized the truck and came over to say hi. This isn't the first of our trail repairs along these lines and won't be the last so Matt and I were confident it would work, at least in the short term.

So back to it, Matt was driving the stub out of the carrier with Andrew's help and I was now cleaning up both spare axles in case the passenger side axle had been weakened as well.

That's Brett's son watching Matt work on the spanner nut:

We tried to thread the spanner nut back in once everything was ready and it wouldn't begin to start. We decided to loosen the cap and push the nut against the bearing, then tighten down the cap to hold it in place since it was egged a good bit. First try didn't work, the bearing was too loose, way too much backlash. So we got a hammer and drove the nut in, holding it in as we tightened the cap. Success! Backlash back to runnable tolerances, at least in this situation. So we stuck the third back in and Matt tightened it while I put the axles back in and after a refill and final recheck, unloaded the truck and were off.

This time we decided to run Dickey Bell from the bottom up and then decide where to go from there. At the bottom of the climb, there was a traffic jam of Jeeps and Land Rovers and 4wheelers. One of the Rovers had blown a front axle and was deciding what to do, the Jeeps were just going up then back down and trying to leave. We asked around and decided to just push through since no one was on the obstacle. Andrew was having trouble with the little Jeep and Matt volunteered to drive it up for him. It went right along after setting the idle up so it wouldn't stall as easy. I'm afraid I don't have any pictures of this since I was spotting for him and no one else was using a camera.

Next was the big Ford's turn:

Ledge at the bottom:

I don't usually have to spot the Ford any more unless it's really hairy or a big rock garden, so I got to take pictures here.

Ford strutting it's stuff:

When it was Brett's turn, he said that his dog was getting sicker and he was just too worried about him to wheel. He was going to find a pet hospital and get him there and checked out so he headed back. We ran out Dickey Bell, ran the North spur of Rocky Mountain Loop, across Sawmill to Slab Pile then back to Fall's Dam to run it in reverse of what we did the previous day. This took most of the day and we wound up back at camp well after dark. Hungry, tired and dirty, we pulled into camp and unloaded. It was then that we noticed someone had liberated us of my cooler full of our food and beer for the weekend. $600+ of Coleman stoves, tents, lanterns, sleeping gear plus two other coolers and they take a $40 Igloo cooler with some beer in it. Pretty pissed about this and plenty hungry, Matt and I headed to the horse camp to take a shower. When we got back, Brett and his son had returned, saying they had left the dog overnight for observation. Brett shared some of his food and beer with us and we made the most of the night. My wife and I bought that cooler on our first anniversary almost 10 years ago and I'm still upset about losing it. Just ask, you are welcome to have any of my beer and food, but don't take my gear man! After a couple beers, Matt was trying to get me to go with him to search campsites up on the mountain to try and find it but I managed to convince him that a couple buzzed rednecks ransacking campsites on the mountain might cause a stir and then we all hit the sack.

Next morning, we all decided that breakfast at the outpost was in order and headed out there. Then we returned, broke camp and headed home. Brett kept us posted on his dogs condition and we all made it home safe and sound! Matt and I had the kind of adventure from the "good old days" and Andrew got a good crash course into off-roading and was making plans for further Jeep upgrades on the ride home.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
The wife made tater-tot nachos tonight using some left over chili from last night and I'm about 4 Modelo Especials into the evening right now. I was going to check into the Va Fone Net but the bands are way long this evening so I thought I'd see what pictures I had on Photobucket of other trips and maybe add another entry to this thread.

This is from the Southern Shine Crawl in Harlan, Ky in May 2008. This was a lone truck adventure for my buddy Matt and myself. My memory is kinda vague on this one as it was nearly a decade ago but I'll try to make it somewhat of a story if I can. Also, I'll apoligize again for the lack of pictures, I just didn't take as many as I should have. Hopefully I'm improving these days but I'd love to have more pictures from these days.

We just kind of decided to take this trip without much planning. No one in the local club we are part of was interested or available so we decided that we'd just go it alone. We had been to Harlan at least once before, if not twice. (I don't remember but will figure that out as we go along here I guess.) We started, as usual, Thursday night packing the rig and checking all the fluids. We were probably up till midnight as that's how things tend to go for us the night before we leave. I can't remember if we had any major things to do right off, it wasn't uncommon to have to go through wheel bearings or swap a u-joint in those days since the truck was driven wherever we went.

We started off the next morning, probably around 8am, with us loading up and headed to Rural Retreat from home (Elk Creek, Va) to get to I81 to head toward Harlan. If this was our 2nd trip, then this was the first time we left I81 at I26. The previous time we'd gone up 58 out of Bristol and while we saw some beautiful countryside, it was quite a time consuming thing for us since getting to Harlan to wheel was a the important thing. Along the way, we stopped in Duffield, Va at the intersection of 58 and 23 to fuel up and stock the cooler with beer and ice. From there we headed on into Harlan to the Putney trail head and paid for our camping spot and passes for the weekend. For those who have been there, we stayed in the single camp site on the left at the very top, under the big camping area on the plateau.

After getting the tent setup and camp basically arranged, the only thing to do from that point is wheel! We had a trail map and since we weren't limited by what everyone else wanted to do (which at the time was simply hit the rock gardens), we decided to go exploring some. We hit the ridge trails, which were both much easier this time compared to our first time where they were both covered in a 4" thick layer of Kentucky clay and Matt didn't have a front locker. Here are some of the pictures I do have:

Rail Bed:

Crawford's Cry:

I don't appear to have any pictures from Saturday, but I I'm pretty sure we got up and ate breakfast then headed over to Evarts through the park to check out the events going on there in the field. We spent the rest of the day just roaming around the various trails. Meals at that time were very rudimentary, mostly consisting of brats cooked over the fire on the same light bread we used to make sandwiches for lunch on the trail. Nothing exciting there. I do remember that during the night, there was a group of sand rails trying the hill climb that was right above where we camped. We'd already turned in and spent about an hour joking about one of them rolling down the hill right over our tent.

Again, this has been a few years so I can't remember if we went wheeling Sunday morning or not, but here are a few pictures from the top of the mountain outside Duffield, Va headed home. We usually stop there just to check out the view and take a quick walk around.

Matt and the truck:

That's all for this episode, wish there was more but that's all I can remember right now.