England
First Name
James
Last Name
Ford
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M6WWD
After my baptism in 2019 I have longed to go to Israel. I have done short overland trips before, southern Italy, Portugal, ect but this is going to be a 6 week trip. I have the time off work approved for 2022. I'm taking my VW van. It's not 4WD but with diff lock and winches It's been good so far. My trip was going to be solo, but now there is 4 of us. Myself my new wife Angela, John and his daughter in there Landrover. Are trip will see us stop at Greece for a couple of days and on to Egypt crossing part of the Sahara desert and stopping at the dead sea. I'm hoping that this trip will convert my wife into the love of overland and we can plan a trip to Vietnam at some point in the future.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
You will be blessed in Israel! Wonderful sites, people, food and times. While there are many sites to see Jerusalem and the old city are my favorite. The Dead Sea beaches in En Bokek offer up salt nuggets that are awesome souvenirs (reach down and dig around in the salt "floor" while taking a float). Tiberius and the Kinneret (Sea of Galilee) are worth seeing and not far from the Mount of Beatitudes and Caesarea Philippi which has a cool "waterworks" and is the home to the temple of Pan - the nearby Lebanese restaurant offers wonderful food and a warm host. If you get a chance to eat in the Druze village(s) your stomach will be happy. Also, if you can get onto the temple mount in the old city it is well worth your time - take your camera and follow the rules - you will be watched. Caesarea on the Mediterranean is also worth seeing. Go see as many of the old churches as you can - totally worth your while. Bethlehem is worth seeing but I would not drive myself into the area - hire a driver instead and be very wary and careful in non-Israeli controlled areas.

I could sit and type for hours recalling my times there. Feel free to ask any questions! God bless!

Kinneret sunset from Tiberius
1612010456553.png

Caesarea Philippi
1612010525687.png

En Bokek (Dead Sea) sunset
1612010613590.png

Jerusalem old city - Arab quarter
1612010822537.png

1612010840638.png

jeepstertim

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Doha, Qatar
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Jones
How are you planning to get into Egypt? I'm planning a route from Qatar home to the UK but basic internet trawling has drawn a blank as to how I get North from either Egypt or Israel. I'm not sure i particularly want to drive through Syria or Libya at the moment.

Reactions: RJJK

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

How are you planning to get into Egypt? I'm planning a route from Qatar home to the UK but basic internet trawling has drawn a blank as to how I get North from either Egypt or Israel. I'm not sure i particularly want to drive through Syria or Libya at the moment.
Seems like there are ferries from Egypt to Italy and Greece maybe Turkey but haven't found a ferry there, only freight ships that seem to take passengers.
Alexandria to Piräus and Haifa to Piräus by a company called Salamis Lines should be available.

Reactions: jeepstertim

j1mmy17

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

England
First Name
James
Last Name
Ford
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M6WWD
There is a ferry from Egypt to Cyprus and from Cyprus to Greece. I will try and put a link up