Trip route planning / info sharing - how to do it efficiently.

• HTML tutorial

Scarab

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hastings - England
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Barrett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M6ZZS
Hi All,

I'm planning on doing a relatively large multiple country trip across Europe at the end of next year. It's going to involve a few people from different ends of the country, need quite a bit of planning and lots of communication.
How are people finding it's best to put together a route, routing information and other pertinent stuff in an easily email-able format to perhaps 10 different people with different methods of their own navigation and different information they need to get from it? I'd like to produce a decent "route pack" for everyone who might need to know about where we're going and how we're going to get there.

Is there a good workflow to get a good saveable map with all the route info and then export it to not only a paper copy but also routing files for various GPS solutions people might be using?

I'm quite used to planning my own things and am really looking forward to using the OB1 and what that transforms into for my own trips and those with fellow OB members but what about things that I'll need to send to campsites/logistics people etc along the way? I'd like to keep it looking professional and consistent in the way the info is presented to avoid confusion and I really don't mind putting the work in to make it all myself and convert it to various formats but was just wondering what other people used for this kind of thing...or perhaps I'm just a bit too thorough in what I want from my planning! :laughing:

Many thanks in advance.
Alex

Reactions: Sandpoint Steve

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
I use a combination of CalTopo.com for building maps and google docs for sharing information.

caltopo let you make, share and collaborate maps.

and google is google.

-Steve

Reactions: Scarab