Trip Planning from VA to Badlands and beyond

• HTML tutorial

smalldog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

I am trying to plan about a 2-week trip starring in Virginia and getting out close to Montana. I am visiting family in St. Loius and want to check out Mt. Rushmore, but other than that I am open to remote experiences. Finding out of the way dispersed has been a challenge.

Any advice about scenic routes, great campsites, or how to find them, other than the free-campsite finders, would be much appreciated.

I am looking to do more highway miles until I get to the more wide-open landscape.

thanks in advance

pl626

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

McLean, VA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Chen
Member #

If you’re doing Rushmore, you should visit Wall Drug & Sturgis. In ND, there’s Teddy Roosevelt NP, then in Montana, you’ve got Glacier NP. If you get that far, it’s only a little more to hit Banff in the Canadian Rockies. Definitely worth it. I did a similar trip years ago, would love to do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CampWithChin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

When is your travelling date? If summer, definately try Glacier National Park in Montana. To plan a better trip, travelling month or day will vary your route.

Stone Johnny Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Williston, ND
Member #

There are all types of dispersed camping sites in the Blackhills of SD. If you want check out in between Walls, SD and the Pinnacle Entrance to Badlands NP. To the east there are lots of dispersed camp sites. I live in ND and have traveled all over MT. There is lots of help up here. Montana is a giant state, so plan ahead if you’re on a time crunch.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

smalldog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

There are all types of dispersed camping sites in the Blackhills of SD. If you want check out in between Walls, SD and the Pinnacle Entrance to Badlands NP. To the east there are lots of dispersed camp sites. I live in ND and have traveled all over MT. There is lots of help up here. Montana is a giant state, so plan ahead if you’re on a time crunch.

Thanks - I have seen some of these campsites on websites but hard to know a good one with an overview etc... If you have a particular favorite I would appreciate any particular recommendations.

Stone Johnny Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Williston, ND
Member #

I don’t have a favorite, anything around. I spend a lot of time on google earth looking for good spots in the BlackHills. There are so many MVUM trails in there it’s crazy. When we go SxS riding we see lots of dispersed camping. No matter what time of year it is you cannot have open fires while dispersed camping.
In Medora we like to stay at the Cottonwood Campground. In the Park that’s pretty much it unless you stay outside in Medora. No Dispersed camping at all. However there are millions of acres of National Grasslands around Teddy Roosevelt’s Park. When are you planning on coming out? We will be going through SD and the Blackhills 7/5-7/8. We are trying a few spots and will let you know.