Trip out west October, 2018

• HTML tutorial

nparker72

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Akron, Ohio
Member #

Hey guys, just writing here last minute. Im planning on doing a 10 day trip starting from NE Ohio, and driving to montana and seeing national parks, it was supposed to be a longer trip but due to a possible new job I had to cut the trip down from 30 days down to 10. I am going to be traveling with my dog in my 'New to me" 2010 toyota 4runner trail edition. Im going to attach a link to my roadtrippers map.

If anyone has suggestions or think I have too much driving and should cut the trip down more please let me know. Any travel advice, or suggestions on where to camp or see would be great. I would like to keep things as pet friendly as possible.
thanks again,
OB3153

Roadtrippers Link.

Reactions: Lone-Wolfin'

Lone-Wolfin'

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Atlanta
Member #

Hey guys, just writing here last minute. Im planning on doing a 10 day trip starting from NE Ohio, and driving to montana and seeing national parks, it was supposed to be a longer trip but due to a possible new job I had to cut the trip down from 30 days down to 10. I am going to be traveling with my dog in my 'New to me" 2010 toyota 4runner trail edition. Im going to attach a link to my roadtrippers map.

If anyone has suggestions or think I have too much driving and should cut the trip down more please let me know. Any travel advice, or suggestions on where to camp or see would be great. I would like to keep things as pet friendly as possible.
thanks again,
OB3153

Roadtrippers Link.
Hey! I just did a 10 day road trip from ATL out to Montana and Wyoming. It's already snowing out that way, but I'm sure you will be fine. Definitely do Going to the Sun road. I think parts are already closed due to weather, but still try and go. Bear tooth Highway... My favorite road. Goes through both Montana and Wyoming. Might have some issues with closures as well, but check it out first. My FAVORITE spot that I camped was at Mt. Haggin WMA. It is near a hot springs resort so you can do both. Go here (https://www.bigskyfishing.com/scenic-drives/mt-haggin.php) and this guy explains how to find the main road and where I camped was. Literally no one was there. It was super beautiful and tons of elk. And while you are on the main road there a few time you can enter the WMA. Just go on in and drive some dirt. It is awesome. But definitely camp where he says to camp which is just past an old homestead. You can't miss it. I was thinking I had missed it and turned around a couple of times, but when you see it you will know. Below is a pic of the camping spot and the WMA. That link I shared also has other scenic drives off the beaten path. Check them out. Also, you DO NOT have too much driving. You will just have to keep moving along, but so worth it. In that 10 days I drove over 5200 miles. That trip changed me.IMG_20180702_190335.jpegIMG_20180703_061247_441.jpegIMG_20180703_053450.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: nparker72

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Dont forget Devils Tower in Wyoming near Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse and the Badlands. BLM canpsite right at base of tower , cool hiking trails around Tower. We just got back from a 30 day trip to Co. Wyoming and South Dakota from Florida. Great time!

Attachments

Lone-Wolfin'

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Atlanta
Member #

Dont forget Devils Tower in Wyoming near Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse and the Badlands. BLM canpsite right at base of tower , cool hiking trails around Tower. We just got back from a 30 day trip to Co. Wyoming and South Dakota from Florida. Great time!
Ditto on these. Devil's tower is crazy cool. Badlands are amazing. There is free camping just outside of the Badlands on the north side that is awesome. You have to go through a gate but just close it behind you (get details on free camping website). And at devil's tower take the dirt road on the left a little after you go through the pay gate. Hardly anyone there and a great view. Oh and camp at the hungry horse reservoir at the base of glacier. I found a little pullout on the dirt road. Don't pay for camping there either. Photos below are Devil's Tower, Camping spot outside of the Badlands, Hungry HorseIMG_20180707_132958.jpegIMG_20180707_194823-01.jpegIMG_20180701_201523-01.jpeg

Reactions: Flipper

jimmynotjim

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

With the short timeline is think of this as a preview for a longer trip in the future, cause it's exactly what I did :) Two years later I took a longer three week to and spent more time at each stop.

The itinerary looks good, only advice I have is to not over pack and keep the schedule loose. The first trip Yellowstone was the goal but it was so overrun we decided to spend more time at Teton, and I'm glad we did. It's one of my favorite places in the country now.

Lone-Wolfin'

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Atlanta
Member #

sorry i keep posting and should just post one long post. Agree with the Tetons. I was going to spend more time in Yellowstone, but i couldn't get enough of looking at the Tetons. This is the only place i paid to camp. My route was up from GA through North Dakota, then into montana that way. Down through Montana, into Wyoming, back out into montana on the bear tooth hwy (free camping just outside of there) and then out through South Dakota driving to Devils tower, black hills and ending in the badlands for my last night. I did all those in 1 day. I drove through the Badlands at like 5:30 am and i basically had the place all to myself, so you can pull over and turn around wherever you want. Great place to camp in North Dakota. just west out of Teddy Roosevelt National park on a lake (Camel's Hump Lake Sentinel Butte). I didnt get a picnic table spot, but you can camp anywhere. I do believe it is only open certain days so check the free camping site before! Everything I have posted can be done with your dog except the hot springs resort. Parks like the Tetons do allow dogs, but not on hiking trails. Photo below of camping in N. Dakota (shocking but this pic has no filter)Camping in North Dakota.jpeg

nparker72

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Akron, Ohio
Member #

sorry i keep posting and should just post one long post. Agree with the Tetons. I was going to spend more time in Yellowstone, but i couldn't get enough of looking at the Tetons. This is the only place i paid to camp. My route was up from GA through North Dakota, then into montana that way. Down through Montana, into Wyoming, back out into montana on the bear tooth hwy (free camping just outside of there) and then out through South Dakota driving to Devils tower, black hills and ending in the badlands for my last night. I did all those in 1 day. I drove through the Badlands at like 5:30 am and i basically had the place all to myself, so you can pull over and turn around wherever you want. Great place to camp in North Dakota. just west out of Teddy Roosevelt National park on a lake (Camel's Hump Lake Sentinel Butte). I didnt get a picnic table spot, but you can camp anywhere. I do believe it is only open certain days so check the free camping site before! Everything I have posted can be done with your dog except the hot springs resort. Parks like the Tetons do allow dogs, but not on hiking trails. Photo below of camping in N. Dakota (shocking but this pic has no filter)View attachment 70895
Please keep it coming. I am a little worried tho, I am on a stock 4runner trail. I have an older set of Cooper at3s I'm going to throw on so I have some AT tires should I be concerned about any of the roads?

Lone-Wolfin'

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Atlanta
Member #

Please keep it coming. I am a little worried tho, I am on a stock 4runner trail. I have an older set of Cooper at3s I'm going to throw on so I have some AT tires should I be concerned about any of the roads?
No need to be concerned, but definitely get those all terrains for the possibility of snow! I'm a little baby when I hit dirt far away from home. The dirt roads in the WMA are super nice. There are some roads off there that say "4wd high clearance." Just don't turn down those. I did because I have higher clearance, but I soon turned around. Every dirt road I mentioned can be done in a Prius. But at least you get on some dirt and places that fewer people are. I corrected my first post about bear tooth... It is the bear tooth HIGHWAY not the PASS... The pass is a death wish. The highway is an actual road.

Reactions: nparker72

nparker72

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Akron, Ohio
Member #

No need to be concerned, but definitely get those all terrains for the possibility of snow! I'm a little baby when I hit dirt far away from home. The dirt roads in the WMA are super nice.
I went to my storage unit today and looked at the old At3s that used to be on the f150. and 1 has severe wear on the inner side, but all have like 8/32 tread left. just 1 bad one. the 4runner currently has michelin ltx m/s on it with 10k miles. I think those would be fine. I am just worried about unpredicted snow.. i have the E-locker and atrac so I dont see much chances of getting stuck.

nparker72

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Akron, Ohio
Member #

OK guys, Update!

just talk to my uncle who lives in boise idaho, him and I are going to meet up somewhere in wyoming. He suggested some places to stop. one was crazy woman canyon. which after some quick internet searching has a pretty cool/creepy story to it.

Im attaching the new roadtrippers link here. that has updates from your suggestions. I added glacier national park but will see if I have enough time.

of course throughout the trip I should be posting pictures and updates here. If anyone has more suggestions. that would be great.
- I feel like I am going to overpack due to weather. and stuff for the dog. but oh well its my first big trip and Im excited to learn what is needed and not needed!

Lone-Wolfin'

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Atlanta
Member #

OK guys, Update!

just talk to my uncle who lives in boise idaho, him and I are going to meet up somewhere in wyoming. He suggested some places to stop. one was crazy woman canyon. which after some quick internet searching has a pretty cool/creepy story to it.

Im attaching the new roadtrippers link here. that has updates from your suggestions. I added glacier national park but will see if I have enough time.

of course throughout the trip I should be posting pictures and updates here. If anyone has more suggestions. that would be great.
- I feel like I am going to overpack due to weather. and stuff for the dog. but oh well its my first big trip and Im excited to learn what is needed and not needed!
Sweet! Yes please post and I will steal stops for my trip next year! Exciting and have fun!!!

nparker72

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Akron, Ohio
Member #

Day 1:

Ok so I decided I'm going to try and upload each day and what I did with some photos!

So started the trip this morning around 9am. Was going to mount my awning but decided I probably wouldn't set it up as much as I would have thought. I pretty much cannonballed it to Chicago so I could see lake Michigan!(so blue compared to lake Erie!)

Driving through Illinois, my trip really kicked off when I got passed by a very nice t4r some of you will know by the name overland wonderlost! Had to get the spotted pic and tag them in it! Definitely encouraged me to put a lift and upgrade this t4r for future trips.

After a hour or so rest stop letting Alex (my 11month old lab) stretch his legs and play. We carried on aiming for mirror lake state park. Where we arrived around 7pm when it was already dark. Ate a quick dinner and crawled into bed![emoji38] View attachment 72689Snapchat-898491012.jpeg20181016_155731.jpeg