Launch Member

Contributor I

Alma, KS, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Toney
Member #

Usually on weekends my wife, myself, and my two boys would load down the 4runner and drive a couple hundred miles of backroads to parts of Kansas we have never been. Prior to Fathers day weekend a co worker of mine built a hump back treasure chest that was beautiful and it got my wheels turning for an idea for the family. I got with my co worker and he built me a small and simple treasure chest. I came up with a letter, 3 clues, and a map that I made too lead up to the treasure chest. It was a HUGE success, my sons loved it ( one is 4 the other will be 3 in a few months). It was a way to get their imagination going and is something we plan to do each year. Until the next treasure hunt though we plan to keep the chest in or "adventure PIG" (as the boys call it) to continue to gather treasures that they find while we are out. It is something to add to the cargo that does not weigh much, but has the ability to make memories for a life time.

Attachments

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Very cool.

When I was little my grandparents gave me a small treasure chest, maybe 6" x 10" x 4". I think it was from Disneyland/Pirates of the Caribbean. At any rate, I still have it.

I want to build similar treasure chests for my boys, but have yet to carve out the time. I even have the wood for it, from an Englemann Oak from my parents' ranch. I just need a round toit.

Reactions: Jedi

BAMbam90

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Alma, KS, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Toney
Member #

Very cool.

When I was little my grandparents gave me a small treasure chest, maybe 6" x 10" x 4". I think it was from Disneyland/Pirates of the Caribbean. At any rate, I still have it.

I want to build similar treasure chests for my boys, but have yet to carve out the time. I even have the wood for it, from an Englemann Oak from my parents' ranch. I just need a round toit.
awasome man, we are planning another trip and treasure hunt for this fall out by Castle Rock in West Kansas

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
This is just awesome! I salute you, @BAMbam90 for being a fun loving parent and teaching your kids about the excitement that adventure can bring.

I think it would be fun to do an adult version of this... *starts plotting*

BAMbam90

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Alma, KS, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Toney
Member #

This is just awesome! I salute you, @BAMbam90 for being a fun loving parent and teaching your kids about the excitement that adventure can bring.

I think it would be fun to do an adult version of this... *starts plotting*
I agree, my wife and I enjoyed it a lot as it was. I like your banner "semper paratas" That was my battalions motto when I was still in the service!