Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
The online Tread Lightly Course promoted by Overland Bound is a worthwhile exercise and takes just 30 mins of your time.
Predominantly geared towards US outdoors it still covers information that we should all consider when heading out into the Outdoors.
Its a free online course and can be found here where you can complete it and download your certificate.
https://tread-lightly.teachable.com/courses
Capture.JPG

76_overlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Biarritz, France
First Name
Angus
Last Name
LastName
Member #

Took the course and honestly, i felt like it was almost a joke... Or maybe it's only because i know why i took my membership to OB, applying to its core principles...

Like... Johnny and Cindy are going to hit the trails in Ontario. Choose the best scenario :

1) They just want to hit the trails so they put gas in the rig, one tee-shirt, take no food no water, no map, no gear and shout YOLO

2) They take a loaded riffle to shoot some petroglyphs and take a shit in a sacred place where stands a sign "please respect this place"

3) They have 3 GPS, 5 alternatives routes, have contacted every land owner and will travel with a paper allowing them to drive the land, hand signed. They prepared different clothes for weather changing, recovery gear, tools, med kit, trauma kit, warned their parents and friends where they are travelling, took courses about surviving bad conditions, and will leave the place better than it was, even if they find plastic packaging that do not belong to them, they will pack everything and leave no trace and wave at people with a smile at a slow pace if they meet people".

So.... Yeah... I had my certificate too :sweatsmile:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Took the course and honestly, i felt like it was almost a joke... Or maybe it's only because i know why i took my membership to OB, applying to its core principles...

Like... Johnny and Cindy are going to hit the trails in Ontario. Choose the best scenario :

1) They just want to hit the trails so they put gas in the rig, one tee-shirt, take no food no water, no map, no gear and shout YOLO

2) They take a loaded riffle to shoot some petroglyphs and take a shit in a sacred place where stands a sign "please respect this place"

3) They have 3 GPS, 5 alternatives routes, have contacted every land owner and will travel with a paper allowing them to drive the land, hand signed. They prepared different clothes for weather changing, recovery gear, tools, med kit, trauma kit, warned their parents and friends where they are travelling, took courses about surviving bad conditions, and will leave the place better than it was, even if they find plastic packaging that do not belong to them, they will pack everything and leave no trace and wave at people with a smile at a slow pace if they meet people".

amazingly there are travellers who fit each of those 3 scenarios
none of those choices are a joke

Reactions: KonzaLander

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran

To most sane and respectful people it all seems very obvious although I don't think it hurts to be reminded once in a while.
I do think it is a good idea for new people who have never really spent anytime in nature starting out to be educated.

I don't throw rubbish on the floor I put it in the bin and I can't understand the mentality of anyone who doesn't do that. So then either they don't care or just no one has educated them properly. Either way education is key.

Glad you did it though and you got your certificate so I guess you passed. lol

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

The lecture part is good, the quiz is poorly written.

76_overlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Biarritz, France
First Name
Angus
Last Name
LastName
Member #

To most sane and respectful people it all seems very obvious although I don't think it hurts to be reminded once in a while.
I do think it is a good idea for new people who have never really spent anytime in nature starting out to be educated.

I don't throw rubbish on the floor I put it in the bin and I can't understand the mentality of anyone who doesn't do that. So then either they don't care or just no one has educated them properly. Either way education is key.

Glad you did it though and you got your certificate so I guess you passed. lol
My rewording of the quizz was a joke, but, yeah, i felt like it was not intented to people like us. Always ok for education but like i said, OB core principles are why i am here so, i learned nothing, refreshed nothing, and felt like any situation in the quizz was obvious. So yes i passed haha, anyone not passing this test should be told to remove its OB emblem :sweatsmile:

• Haha
Reactions: Polaris Overland