• HTML tutorial

uh1medic

Rank III
Launch Member
Supporter +

Contributor I

North Georgia
Member #

A quick little get away. We have done a day trip and also, spent the night at the mining cut out at the top. An hour drive from Atlanta. Fairly rough forest service road but the best part is, no fees whatsoever. Running water source about 1/4 mile from the cut out so you have dish cleaning water. Take a few friends and have a get friday after lunch getaway until saturday morning.

Take the turn to Unicoi state park north of Helen (Ga 356), then left at Eugene rd, then right on Chimney Mountain rd, Tray Mountain trail sign will be up ahead. follow it around the mountain, cut out is on the right, you can fit about 15 vehicles in there tightly.

Happy trails.

Attachments

MVO

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Johns Creek, GA
First Name
Malcolm
Last Name
O’Hara
Member #

Last time I was up there there was a washout at a culvert which was the hardest place to get through. What was your hardest part?

uh1medic

Rank III
Launch Member
Supporter +

Contributor I

North Georgia
Member #

The culvert was the most technical. That was the only time I had to use 4 Low. Was the tree leaning over the culvert when you were there? We went the last time in May 2015.

MVO

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Johns Creek, GA
First Name
Malcolm
Last Name
O’Hara
Member #

Now that you mention it I think there was a tree close to our line but more of a consideration than nuisance. Maybe it's leaning over more now. We did move a few rocks for the stock 4Runner Trail to step on.

I

uh1medic

Rank III
Launch Member
Supporter +

Contributor I

North Georgia
Member #

No, it definitely wasn't in the way. That's why I like that trail, I have a stock Bronco on 33's and my buddy has a stock jeep and they both had good clearance (with the right line).

MVO

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Johns Creek, GA
First Name
Malcolm
Last Name
O’Hara
Member #

John it looks like you are descending. Did you ascend on Chimney Mt Rd?

JMY24

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Huntsville, AL/Dahlonega, GA
Member #

John it looks like you are descending. Did you ascend on Chimney Mt Rd?
I was riding the Georgia Traverse from West to East. So yes, I was descending the hard side in this picture. You guys should go check out the Georgia Traverse thread I have up. A few of us will be riding it again over Thanksgiving!

MVO

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Johns Creek, GA
First Name
Malcolm
Last Name
O’Hara
Member #

Have a great safe Thanksgiving. I did check out the GT page. I am loaded and looking for time to go!

Reactions: JMY24

MVO

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Johns Creek, GA
First Name
Malcolm
Last Name
O’Hara
Member #

We are like minded in this area. I always leave my site cleaner than I found it. Sorry to say it's like this in many places but maybe worse here in GA. It is a little scary that so many people don't respect what is theirs but shared.

uh1medic

Rank III
Launch Member
Supporter +

Contributor I

North Georgia
Member #

I hear ya about the trash. Our bag was full when left the in the morning. I'm down for a cleanup day. I have two boys as well to help.

MVO

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Johns Creek, GA
First Name
Malcolm
Last Name
O’Hara
Member #

It may be weeks until I can make a trip to Tray. On my next day off I am planning to go to Overland East. But let's do it! I can try to recruit a friend and maybe a few OB members need a good excuse ( I mean reason) to get up on the mountain.

MVO

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Johns Creek, GA
First Name
Malcolm
Last Name
O’Hara
Member #

I am kind of a long shot until next year. But if you set a date and I can leave work I will be there. I work in a toy store and Q4 is important!

TheRubiconLife

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Augusta, GA
Member #

I have done Tray mountain several times (both ways). It is a great day trip and a nice intro to wheeling. It is an easy trail, until you get to the culvert. But I have seen a small Acura SUV make it through there. It does get a little more interesting if it is raining. Which it seems to do every time I go to Tray mountain.

Fiona.TJ

Rank 0

Traveler I

Just went up there yesterday. First we followed tray mountain road and went striaght through popping back out on the highway but then we ascended at chimney mountain. We hit an open spot and from there there was a straight path that lead to two other paths both seeming to be dead ends or camp sites and a trail to the right. Which way would have taken us back down tray mountain road?

vasily

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler II

You know trey mountain road is closed right now, right?

Fiona.TJ

Rank 0

Traveler I

Did not realize that. Its funny there was a road closed sign far into some camp grounds but plenty of people were up there and on chimney too. Thanks for letting me know I’ll definitely make sure to check that next time. Do you happen to know of any good trails that are open right now?