Caligirlnic

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Nicci
Last Name
miller
I had to put down my 16 yr old Aussie last summer. He had a great life and I have not yet gotten another dog yet. Now that we have the freedom with our off road camper we are hesitant to get another because when we go away every weekend, we hike or bike or go where sometimes dogs aren't allowed. Hiking is not an issue but biking for a few hours is. Our truck bed has a camper and 2 windows we can crack for air. Our camper has a roof fan and also has windows we can open with screens but that's not very secure either. Sometimes its hot where we go sometimes its not just depends.

What do you do with your dogs if you have to leave them for a couple of hours to keep them safe and comfortable?

Thanks!

QCNR

Rank 0

Traveler I

Stavanger
First Name
Q
Last Name
R
Our dog loves coming with us in the car, and has camped with us as well. The first time for everything we always assumed he would
be really stressfull and annoying. Turns out he is the best companion to have on a trip, it's the children that are a pain in the arse. :smile::smile::smile::yum:
He is a Pomeranian by the way :-)

Reactions: Jorrie

Caligirlnic

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Nicci
Last Name
miller
But again, if you are hiking or biking and have to leave them for a few hours, how do you keep them safe in your truck, camper, etc.... locked up? Tied up?

GEARS

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cincinnati
First Name
Mr
Last Name
Fabulous
Member #

I would never leave our dog unattended in a remote location. Its affected the things I've been able to do for the last 12 years but that's part of the deal. My lifestyle just has limitations because of her. Its ok and she is totally worth it.

Cummins_Powered

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

If I travel somewhere where my dog won't be allowed...I leave him with someone who will watch him. There is no way I would be leaving him in the Jeep alone while I was off doing something. If I am traveling and I have the pup with me...I don't go to the places he isn't allowed. Its a tradeoff...I want what is best for him and sometimes that is leaving him at home.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

My dog Quake usually goes with me on trips. If it's going to be really hot, or a long term remote trip (like a week in Death Valley), he stays home. I probably wouldn't take him to Pismo either. I don't think he'd like the dunes very much, and all the loud motors would have him on edge the whole time, especially at night.