Traveling w/ dog - glacier/yellowstone ect.

• HTML tutorial

dg333

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Stv
Last Name
DMg
Member #

Looking to do an rv (class c) trip this july with 2 kids and new doggy. What are your recommendations for doing this? Are we gonna be totally let down by not being able to hike in the National Parks? We would def prefer to just do campgrounds and explore ourselves rather than hit big tourist spots, out of the parks.

thoughts?
steve

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
There is some really great hiking to be had in Glacier that you would miss out on , I love to hike w/dogs but it's not allowed in those NP's.
I would board the dog for this trip, maybe find local boarding option so you have the pup for most of the trip and just not for when you are in the park?

dg333

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Stv
Last Name
DMg
Member #

I think we are switching to just hit Iowa now, hmmm

steve

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
In many places, state parks have no irrational hang ups over dogs. Here in Texas, the only rule is they must be leashed.

Reactions: orange01z28

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Irrational? There are so many bears and other wildlife at Glacier. Dogs would be a nightmare. Plus dog crap everywhere. Yes, go to a state park please.
Yup. Big Bend NP, no dogs. Immediately next to it Big Bend Ranch SP, y'all come on in. Both have bears.
Irritational policy by those in DC who have no experience in reality.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I think we are switching to just hit Iowa now, hmmm

steve
There IS the I-80 Bighest Truck stop there.

True though. I could walk my dog in parking areas of Yellowstone and camping areas or Badlands, but theres just too much wildlife for a dog to be thrown into the mix, especially a new doggy.

Boarding is an option. We went in a very small caravan, so that there was someone to watch the doggies while others explored, but then we couldnt all go together