Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pine, CO, USA
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Elsner
Member #

Trying to plan a trip to Baja over Christmas break. Hopefully to Baja Conception. I know that it's a bit far out and anything can happen between now and then. My question is, has anyone traveled south recently? There are some travel restrictions, but it's a little unclear.

Thanks, Ken

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I came home in February and have not been back, I do have lots of friends that live and visit there. The “official” stand is no nonessential travel is permitted between Mexico and America. Cabo and La Paz are at capacity with C-19 right now.

I also know plenty of folks thAt are traveling to Baja right now. They’re moving up and down without any problems. There are temperature checks and the normal Army check points. Some hotels and all the markets are open. My friends mostly of the attitude “just go”.

Bahia Concepcion is very pretty,it is also can be very crowded. Look at Punta Chivato, Bahia Las Animas, Bahia San Rafael, Punta San Francisquito. On the same of Cortez side. go to Punta Asunción to Abreojos on the Pacific side.

Adventures With Maud

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pine, CO, USA
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Elsner
Member #

I came home in February and have not been back, I do have lots of friends that live and visit there. The “official” stand is no nonessential travel is permitted between Mexico and America. Cabo and La Paz are at capacity with C-19 right now.

I also know plenty of folks thAt are traveling to Baja right now. They’re moving up and down without any problems. There are temperature checks and the normal Army check points. Some hotels and all the markets are open. My friends mostly of the attitude “just go”.

Bahia Concepcion is very pretty,it is also can be very crowded. Look at Punta Chivato, Bahia Las Animas, Bahia San Rafael, Punta San Francisquito. On the same of Cortez side. go to Punta Asunción to Abreojos on the Pacific side.
Great feedback and advice. I'll look at each area. We have a limited time, so I was looking at what are best areas for simple beach or Palapas camping. We're overlanding with a Defender 110.

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
We were just south of San Felipe the last 2 weeks in June. This is typically our last trip of the year until mid-October, mostly due to the heat. Prior to that it was late February (before things took a turn). In between, there was just too much going on, too much unknown and too many rumors going around for us to risk a trip. At the time of our June trip, one of the big concerns was how much beer you were bringing with you... Apparently, they felt that if you were bringing more than a 12 pack, you were likely to be having a party or group gathering, so they set a limit of one 12 pack per car going into Baja.

We were told we would have to "prove" we had a legitimate purpose for entering Baja or we would be denied entry. We have our permanent FMMs and our SENTRI passes, which we know would help and we also brought a copy of our property lease and property tax statements. We had everything ready to show them at the initial crossing, but they didn't want to see it. Their only concern was how much beer we were bringing with us. We actually had to open the back, pull it out and show them that it was just one 12 pack. Then, about 100 yards south of the initial crossing, in the area where they do the declaration inspections and you pay the importation fees, we were stopped and asked our purpose for entering Baja. I handed them our documentation. They "kinda" looked at it, asked if we were bringing any beer and then waived us through.

At the end of that same road, another 300 yards south, where you enter the main east/west road, we were stopped again. They asked about the beer & said they needed to take our temperatures. However, they only took mine and not my wife's. At this stop there were about 5 cars in line in front of us and it took about 10 minutes to get through. We were crossing into Baja on a Sunday morning around 8:30 am. Our friends came through the same crossing around 12:00 the same day and were stuck for over 2 hours waiting to get their temperatures taken. We had another friend who crossed the following weekend and it took them 7 hours to get through all 3 check points!!!

This all took place at the Calexico-East crossing at the end of Hwy. 7. I can't say anything about the wait or procedures at the other crossings, except to say that this one is usually faster and has less traffic. And maybe to say don't expect there to be a lot of consistency between the handful of crossings. Our friend, who has had a house next to us in Baja for several years and also has his FMM & SENTRI got turned around at the Otay Mesa crossing, being told he couldn't bring a cement mixer into Baja without paying a fee. This is a cement mixer he has brought back and forth at this crossing numerous times over the years and never stopped or asked about it. He turned around, drove to the Calexico-West crossing and had no issues bringing it into Baja.

At the military checkpoint where Hwy 3 & Hwy 5 meet, we were again asked about the beer and had a non-military person dressed in what looked like a Mexican Immigration uniform approach us after the soldier finished his inspection. She asked our purpose for being in Baja and was satisfied with our answer and paperwork. I actually felt like she wouldn't have asked to see the paperwork, as she seemed a bit confused when I handed it to her. As usual, this checkpoint is one of the smoothest for us.

We've been going down to Baja several times a year for the past 20+ years and have learned to never be surprised when you're hit with some new restriction, rule, law, or an "official's" interpretation of whatever. You could go down to Baja 5 times and have 5 different experiences. You just have to roll with it & remember you are in a foreign country, even if you did just drive there. For us, it's part of what makes Baja, Baja... It's truly a beautiful place with beautiful people and we've always felt blessed to feel like it's our second home.

We haven't gotten to drive it yet, but we hear from reliable sources that Hwy 5 is now completely paved all the way to Hwy. 1, just north of LA Bay. You should be able to get to some beautiful coves & beaches within just a few hours of crossing the border. If you do go that route, be sure to stop at Coco's Corner and spend a few minutes chatting with Coco.

One last thing I'd recommend is don't risk not having all the necessary paperwork for your trip. It's just not worth the risk of being held up for hours, being fined, or being turned around. With the added checkpoints and the added precautions, you have a much better chance of being asked to produce it.

Also, it's always a good idea to check with Discover Baja before you go, as they do try as best they can to stay on top of any changes, requirements, warnings, Etc.

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB

Mike, You must be going through withdrawals!!!

Adventures With Maud

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pine, CO, USA
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Elsner
Member #

We were just south of San Felipe the last 2 weeks in June. This is typically our last trip of the year until mid-October, mostly due to the heat. Prior to that it was late February (before things took a turn). In between, there was just too much going on, too much unknown and too many rumors going around for us to risk a trip. At the time of our June trip, one of the big concerns was how much beer you were bringing with you... Apparently, they felt that if you were bringing more than a 12 pack, you were likely to be having a party or group gathering, so they set a limit of one 12 pack per car going into Baja.

We were told we would have to "prove" we had a legitimate purpose for entering Baja or we would be denied entry. We have our permanent FMMs and our SENTRI passes, which we know would help and we also brought a copy of our property lease and property tax statements. We had everything ready to show them at the initial crossing, but they didn't want to see it. Their only concern was how much beer we were bringing with us. We actually had to open the back, pull it out and show them that it was just one 12 pack. Then, about 100 yards south of the initial crossing, in the area where they do the declaration inspections and you pay the importation fees, we were stopped and asked our purpose for entering Baja. I handed them our documentation. They "kinda" looked at it, asked if we were bringing any beer and then waived us through.

At the end of that same road, another 300 yards south, where you enter the main east/west road, we were stopped again. They asked about the beer & said they needed to take our temperatures. However, they only took mine and not my wife's. At this stop there were about 5 cars in line in front of us and it took about 10 minutes to get through. We were crossing into Baja on a Sunday morning around 8:30 am. Our friends came through the same crossing around 12:00 the same day and were stuck for over 2 hours waiting to get their temperatures taken. We had another friend who crossed the following weekend and it took them 7 hours to get through all 3 check points!!!

This all took place at the Calexico-East crossing at the end of Hwy. 7. I can't say anything about the wait or procedures at the other crossings, except to say that this one is usually faster and has less traffic. And maybe to say don't expect there to be a lot of consistency between the handful of crossings. Our friend, who has had a house next to us in Baja for several years and also has his FMM & SENTRI got turned around at the Otay Mesa crossing, being told he couldn't bring a cement mixer into Baja without paying a fee. This is a cement mixer he has brought back and forth at this crossing numerous times over the years and never stopped or asked about it. He turned around, drove to the Calexico-West crossing and had no issues bringing it into Baja.

At the military checkpoint where Hwy 3 & Hwy 5 meet, we were again asked about the beer and had a non-military person dressed in what looked like a Mexican Immigration uniform approach us after the soldier finished his inspection. She asked our purpose for being in Baja and was satisfied with our answer and paperwork. I actually felt like she wouldn't have asked to see the paperwork, as she seemed a bit confused when I handed it to her. As usual, this checkpoint is one of the smoothest for us.

We've been going down to Baja several times a year for the past 20+ years and have learned to never be surprised when you're hit with some new restriction, rule, law, or an "official's" interpretation of whatever. You could go down to Baja 5 times and have 5 different experiences. You just have to roll with it & remember you are in a foreign country, even if you did just drive there. For us, it's part of what makes Baja, Baja... It's truly a beautiful place with beautiful people and we've always felt blessed to feel like it's our second home.

We haven't gotten to drive it yet, but we hear from reliable sources that Hwy 5 is now completely paved all the way to Hwy. 1, just north of LA Bay. You should be able to get to some beautiful coves & beaches within just a few hours of crossing the border. If you do go that route, be sure to stop at Coco's Corner and spend a few minutes chatting with Coco.

One last thing I'd recommend is don't risk not having all the necessary paperwork for your trip. It's just not worth the risk of being held up for hours, being fined, or being turned around. With the added checkpoints and the added precautions, you have a much better chance of being asked to produce it.

Also, it's always a good idea to check with Discover Baja before you go, as they do try as best they can to stay on top of any changes, requirements, warnings, Etc.
What a great reply. Thank you!! I guess now my concern is having a "reason" to be there. We'll make plans and watch what the next few months hold. Where is Coco's Corner. In December, I'm assuming the Cortez side is warmer?

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
Yes, in December it will be a little warmer, depending on storms/winds. Sometimes, in early December, the water can still be reasonable to get into. Especially a little further south.

I don't know how familiar you are with Baja, but basically you have Hwy 1 going north to south down the pacific side of the Baja peninsula & you have Hwy 5 going north to south down the Sea of Cortez side of the Baja peninsula. Just recently, they completed paving Hwy 5 all the way to where it meet up with Hwy 1, just north of LA Bay. Not too far past Gonzaga Bay, Hwy 5 starts to head inland and continues to where it meets Hwy 1. If you look at a map, you'll see that the road has an elbow in it as it starts to head west. Coco's is right about where that elbow is. You can't miss it as it's the only thing out there.
Cocos.jpg Map.jpeg

MMc is probably your best source of info. for good places/beaches to stay at as he's traveled around down there much more than we have over the years.

We're usually down at our place for a couple three weeks around Christmas & New Years. Depending on how everything goes, we're at least planning to do it again this year. Once things are figured out on your end, your welcome to stop by if in the area. We're about 1/2 way between the town of San Felipe & Puerticitos just off Hwy 5.

Adventures With Maud

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pine, CO, USA
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Elsner
Member #

Yes, in December it will be a little warmer, depending on storms/winds. Sometimes, in early December, the water can still be reasonable to get into. Especially a little further south.

I don't know how familiar you are with Baja, but basically you have Hwy 1 going north to south down the pacific side of the Baja peninsula & you have Hwy 5 going north to south down the Sea of Cortez side of the Baja peninsula. Just recently, they completed paving Hwy 5 all the way to where it meet up with Hwy 1, just north of LA Bay. Not too far past Gonzaga Bay, Hwy 5 starts to head inland and continues to where it meets Hwy 1. If you look at a map, you'll see that the road has an elbow in it as it starts to head west. Coco's is right about where that elbow is. You can't miss it as it's the only thing out there.
View attachment 167514 View attachment 167515

MMc is probably your best source of info. for good places/beaches to stay at as he's traveled around down there much more than we have over the years.

We're usually down at our place for a couple three weeks around Christmas & New Years. Depending on how everything goes, we're at least planning to do it again this year. Once things are figured out on your end, your welcome to stop by if in the area. We're about 1/2 way between the town of San Felipe & Puerticitos just off Hwy 5.
Wow. Thanks for the offer. I was looking at where we'd stay the first night after the border crossing. No experience with Baja. I've been to San Felipe once 20 years ago.

Adventures With Maud

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pine, CO, USA
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Elsner
Member #

View attachment 167514 View attachment 167515

What's MMc?

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
What's MMc?
He's Mike, the first person that responded to your post. He spends a ton of time in Baja & knows it quite well. Same goes for "Rolando M" on this forum. You might also do a search of this forum for "Baja". Lots of posts with questions, answers, and pictures. I think "Frenchie" is also on this forum. He used to lead tours in Baja and also knows it quite well.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

What's MMc?
Been asking the same thing most of my life.

I know a couple of people that have used hotel reservations to get through some check points. If you need “Papers“ book a night at the Campo Sirena, Bahia Asunción, or even better book a night stay at La Bufadora Inn. Shari owns both and is a great host. She is a expat that’s pretty much put put Asunción on the map when it comes to gringos. They are on trip advisor and have web sites. She has done the paperwork thing already. You can make the SF run to Asunción in a day. Conception is a day away.
Great advice with not expecting what comes next in Baja, it’s what makes great stories, a smile and being humble will get you farther than a attitude and being right will.

Stop by and see Coco, he is a legend and will not be around much longer, he’ll flirt with your wife, and sell you a beer/soda, good times.

I surf so prefer to take 1 instead of 5, 5 saves about 2 hours on my drive and I can stop and surf. It is paved to Lake Chapala and fast. I take it I am in a hurry or no surf in the window.

There are great Palapas at campo Archilochus it Baha’i de Los Angeles and worth a stop. Might be less crowed than Conception. Sea of Cortez should be warmer unless it get windy. If you see a high over 4 corners or Santa Ana winds in So. Cal. go to the pacific to get out of the wind. There are cave paintings by Mulege and El Arco.you need a guide to see by law.

If you would like to know more PM me.

I am missing Baja a lot. I have been going to the Sierras and Nevada trips, north and east of Bridgeport are new to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: HIALT2D

Adventures With Maud

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pine, CO, USA
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Elsner
Member #

Been asking the same thing most of my life.

I know a couple of people that have used hotel reservations to get through some check points. If you need “Papers“ book a night at the Campo Sirena, Bahia Asunción, or even better book a night stay at La Bufadora Inn. Shari owns both and is a great host. She is a expat that’s pretty much put put Asunción on the map when it comes to gringos. They are on trip advisor and have web sites. She has done the paperwork thing already. You can make the SF run to Asunción in a day. Conception is a day away.
Great advice with not expecting what comes next in Baja, it’s what makes great stories, a smile and being humble will get you farther than a attitude and being right will.

Stop by and see Coco, he is a legend and will not be around much longer, he’ll flirt with your wife, and sell you a beer/soda, good times.

I surf so prefer to take 1 instead of 5, 5 saves about 2 hours on my drive and I can stop and surf. It is paved to Lake Chapala and fast. I take it I am in a hurry or no surf in the window.

There are great Palapas at campo Archilochus it Baha’i de Los Angeles and worth a stop. Might be less crowed than Conception. Sea of Cortez should be warmer unless it get windy. If you see a high over 4 corners or Santa Ana winds in So. Cal. go to the pacific to get out of the wind. There are cave paintings by Mulege and El Arco.you need a guide to see by law.

If you would like to know more PM me.

I am missing Baja a lot. I have been going to the Sierras and Nevada trips, north and east of Bridgeport are new to me.
After a year, I'm finally replying. Thanks Mike. I did just message you. Now that the Defender is back together, the plans are started again for Baha.