First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6M
I don’t know where else to put this. Travel with kids:

I was watching a YouTube video and they let their child use the iPad and wondered how much they allow the electronics. I begrudgingly let me kids bring the iPads and say you’ve got until I run out of cell signal or 45 minutes or whatever my mood is that day. Once we hit the trail though it’s “no electronics unless it’s a map or taking a picture”

The counting big rigs and slug bug only works so much on this generation. What do you guys say for electronics and time allowed for those that cannot drive?

Ps. there is no right answer. We all parent differently.

Reactions: Jason R

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
I usually let them (now 6 & 8) watch on the highway and not on the dirt BUT we take some trips that are a week of dirt with anything from 4-10 hours on trail so there are always exceptions. They’ve been coming with me since they were 2 and know the main rule: they have to stop and enjoy nature because that is why we are there. Since they have grown up being outdoors this isn’t an issue. I was initially totally against it but it’s tough for me to drive, lead, set up camp, etc and keep them safe and occupied so it became a necessary evil. I say find a balance that allows you to enjoy being out and renewing yourself and ensuring they appreciate the opportunity to do things that most won’t.

sakiwest

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Brentwood, CA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6M
I usually let them (now 6 & 8) watch on the highway and not on the dirt BUT we take some trips that are a week of dirt with anything from 4-10 hours on trail so there are always exceptions. They’ve been coming with me since they were 2 and know the main rule: they have to stop and enjoy nature because that is why we are there. Since they have grown up being outdoors this isn’t an issue. I was initially totally against it but it’s tough for me to drive, lead, set up camp, etc and keep them safe and occupied so it became a necessary evil. I say find a balance that allows you to enjoy being out and renewing yourself and ensuring they appreciate the opportunity to do things that most won’t.
That sounds fair. I like it! Thanks for the input.

Heartland Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gretna, NE, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Talley
Member #

I let my boys 8&12 have theirs while we are on the road to and from places, but when we get close to a destination, trail, or something eventful I tell them to put them up unless taking pics.

BchBum11511

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

This is what we do when traveling (camping or regular vacation). We try to be mindful of the time they're on it and limit as best makes sense. But, there's only so much boredom that my kids (8 & 6) can handle...or, really, I can handle of their behavior when bored :grimacing:.

Reactions: IrieVibes

NickS

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lakewood, WA
Member #

We do it with our four kiddos the same way we had it when we were kids; no electronics except listening to the radio or helping with navigation or pictures.

Probably helps that they don’t have pads and such at home except for school work. There’s only one and as home schoolers, they have to share the one we do have amongst themselves in order to get whatever task is being researched, looked up, etc completed and then it’s back on the charger.

(All kiddos are 8-2years in age)

Old radio programs (The Shadow, Suspense, Fibber McGee and Molly) Books on tape, podcasts, and games like, I Spy, etc seems to be sufficient entertainment for them.

Reactions: IrieVibes

RideFlyDiveJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

Shawnee, KS 66217, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

We have young kids (1 & 4) and the water markers books work well for them and we listen to podcasts. Adding this to watch list as I will need to know as they get older. When I was a kid Gameboy was only allowed on the highways, and we had to buy our own batteries.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
In camp it's never been an issue, the kid who currently goes with me isn't interested in the tablet until we get ready for bed or during long slogs of sitting in the back of the Jeep with nothing to do. I'll let her watch a short cartoon before bed or around the camp fire and on the road she gets to watch her Disney movies.

SorrTrek

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Washington, DC
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Sorrell
Member #

I have a 4 and 6 year old. We have tried packing activities for them, as we don't have really have electronics for them. Been staying away from screen time as much as possible.

Scenery bingo is a hit, books, magazines, coloring and drawing, toys, and a few other things seem to work.

Wish they would nap more and can be brutal for us, but they need to lean to deal with boredom, haha.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
When we go out my kids, 7, 11, 11 know that it’s family time, and they know not to bring their electronics. I already have plenty of entertainment in the rig, music, DVDs etc. They entertain themselves since there is three of them.