wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
We’re always good about keeping our site clean and bringing trash bags, but so far all we’ve really used are thin trash bags from home. They can easily tear at the campsite which then leaks the contents and can further attract bugs and larger critters. The last place we camped had bears so we hoisted the trashbag up on a rope but the bag itself is like 3’ tall when suspended so it made it even harder to get it high enough for a bear to not reach.

Any suggestions and/or alternative ways you store your trash? We’re focused on minimizing trash to help reduce the problem but imagine we will always still have a combination of food scraps, paper towels, packaging from food, hand/body wipes, etc. Typically we’re only out for long weekends and just throw the trashbags in the back of the truck for the haul home.

Thanks !

Reactions: grubworm

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

A set-up I have seen that seems to work well is a large canvas bag, looks kind of like a back pack, that hags on the spare tire outside the vehicle. It can ride there as long as it is secure.
The advantage is that it is out of the passenger area, so no bad smells. It is tough, won't rip. You can still line it with a plastic bag, but the canvas protects it, the plastic protects the canvas from leaks and wet trash.
If you need to hoist it up a tree due to bears, it is strong enough to handle it.
I have also seen it just hung on the back doors of SUV's also. The ones I have seen look like an Army surplus messenger bag or back pack.

Reactions: wahoowad

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
A set-up I have seen that seems to work well is a large canvas bag, looks kind of like a back pack, that hags on the spare tire outside the vehicle. It can ride there as long as it is secure.
The advantage is that it is out of the passenger area, so no bad smells. It is tough, won't rip. You can still line it with a plastic bag, but the canvas protects it, the plastic protects the canvas from leaks and wet trash.
If you need to hoist it up a tree due to bears, it is strong enough to handle it.
I have also seen it just hung on the back doors of SUV's also. The ones I have seen look like an Army surplus messenger bag or back pack.
Sounds like the Trasharoo - About

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
we use plastic walmart bags and tie the handle to a door knob or something on the side of the camper and then put them in a thick contractors trash bag once they are full. keeps it manageable and easy to deal with. we havent been in bear country, otherwise i'd probably do something different.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Sounds like the Trasharoo - About
Yes, exactly. I did not know it had a name or official company making them. I have seen just old canvas bags used also, but nice to know there is a dedicated purpose built option too.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Yes, exactly. I did not know it had a name or official company making them. I have seen just old canvas bags used also, but nice to know there is a dedicated purpose built option too.
I would consider getting one of these, but in my application, it wouldn't work. The truck of my tailgate is covered by carpet (Bed Rug) that covers the gap in-between the tailgate and bed of truck where I believe the straps would hold on to or wrap around.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Cut back on trash.

Wax paper, and paper cartons, burn just fine. Save the bottles, plastic, and cans for other trips.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Here are two threads from the last few weeks that go over a lot of what others have found helpful for trash management and keeping wildlife out:

Reactions: wahoowad

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
I like the idea of a canvas or other durable outer bag that I can put other smaller trashbags into. The only bag that I have that is close would be my old seabag from when I was the military. I knew I was saving it 30+ years for something :blush:

Actually I don't want to relegate that old friend to trashcan duty so want to identify some other similar product. I camp ou tof a full size chevy so don't have a spare hanging off the back like a trasharoo would attach to, but some trasharoo size bag that I could easily lift up using my bear rope would be a good solution.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

So not sure if anyone mentioned it but there are water tight sealed bags, commonly used with canoeing and such.
I put a common thrash bag into it and seal it up, no smell no liquids whatsoever comes out.
The best way to deal with thrash is avoid it wherever it is possible, but there is already a said about avoiding thrash.

Sorry if I missed your point, not sure this time.
The bags I was talking about

Reactions: B-R and Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

So not sure if anyone mentioned it but there are water tight sealed bags, commonly used with canoeing and such.
I put a common thrash bag into it and seal it up, no smell no liquids whatsoever comes out.
The best way to deal with thrash is avoid it wherever it is possible, but there is already a said about avoiding thrash.

Sorry if I missed your point, not sure this time.
The bags I was talking about

Dry bags meant for boating and river-running are a great solution to put a more disposable, hopefully biocompostable bag, into for later disposal. Great idea.

Reactions: MazeVX

F.S.Overland

Rank 0

Contributor I

Georgia
I like the idea of a canvas or other durable outer bag that I can put other smaller trashbags into. The only bag that I have that is close would be my old seabag from when I was the military. I knew I was saving it 30+ years for something :blush:

Actually I don't want to relegate that old friend to trashcan duty so want to identify some other similar product. I camp ou tof a full size chevy so don't have a spare hanging off the back like a trasharoo would attach to, but some trasharoo size bag that I could easily lift up using my bear rope would be a good solution.
I used my old military duffel bag on our last trip. It worked for a quick/free solution, but definitely was not ideal. The straps were barely long enough to wrap around the tailgate. due to the old style retainers on the straps, I almost had to cut the straps to get it off. The metal clip used to close it put a minor dent in the tailgate. Once the bag is half full, you can't lower the tailgate all the way. It was a good ideal, but in reality was more trouble than it was worth. Definitely looking for a different solution for the next trip.

Attachments

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I used my old military duffel bag on our last trip. It worked for a quick/free solution, but definitely was not ideal. The straps were barely long enough to wrap around the tailgate. due to the old style retainers on the straps, I almost had to cut the straps to get it off. The metal clip used to close it put a minor dent in the tailgate. Once the bag is half full, you can't lower the tailgate all the way. It was a good ideal, but in reality was more trouble than it was worth. Definitely looking for a different solution for the next trip.
Almost looks like someone was taking the bag out of the shell and it got stuck there :)

• Haha
Reactions: F.S.Overland

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Rubberized canvas bags were very popular with European military for several decades and there is a ton of surplus out there dirt cheap.

F.S.Overland

Rank 0

Contributor I

Georgia
Almost looks like someone was taking the bag out of the shell and it got stuck there :)
I literally had at least 20 people in less than a week flag me down to let me know I had a bag hanging out the back...............Granted, I do live next to an Air Force base, I didn't expect such a huge response of concern.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I literally had at least 20 people in less than a week flag me down to let me know I had a bag hanging out the back...............Granted, I do live next to an Air Force base, I didn't expect such a huge response of concern.
LOL I would have done the same. 'Hey buddy, your bag is stuck!'.