Transmission Coolers

• HTML tutorial

Dana

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

Does anyone have knowledge about these? I think it might be a good idea for my Land Cruiser. I had the temp light come on last weekend while climbing a rather steep hill. I really know nothing about the subject.

Thanks

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Hi Dana, do you have an automatic trans? I guess that surprises me. I would have loved to chat about this at OTG last weekend but apparently this popped up after that?
At first, can you install a trans temp gage? I don't know much about your 60 but I don't think the temp light was for the trans unless you have more info about that.
Auto trans should typically not go any higher than 125'C. If you're between 90 and 120'C, you're probably safe.
Above that, a cooler is a good idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using OB Talk mobile app

Dana

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

Hi Dana, do you have an automatic trans? I guess that surprises me. I would have loved to chat about this at OTG last weekend but apparently this popped up after that?
At first, can you install a trans temp gage? I don't know much about your 60 but I don't think the temp light was for the trans unless you have more info about that.
Auto trans should typically not go any higher than 125'C. If you're between 90 and 120'C, you're probably safe.
Above that, a cooler is a good idea.

Yes it's Automatic. It happened on the steep hill up hwy168. It is for the trans. On the shifter there are two lights one for A.T. Oil temp and one for A.T. P
I have a CTS that has egt and trans temps but I question its accuracy sometimes. I could also feel the heat physically from the transmission area. I never got the light coming home over Donner summit but that road isn't as steep and has areas where you can recover temps.
Normally I will see Mid 100s on trans temps but going up the hills I can get over 200. I wonder if it's accurate. I have seen the egt numbers fluctuate by hundreds in seconds but most of the time it seems accurate. That is the only time I have seen the light. I checked the fluid. It's still where is should be and the color is still reddish. Sorry those temps are F.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I just happened to be browsing the photos, and it looks like someone took a pic of the inside of your car, and I saw the lights near the shifter.

I forgot about those for that vehicle. I don't know what the threshold for that AT Oil Temp light to come on, I have no access to the manual for information about that since it's not US spec.

You've checked the right things and the simple things, oil level, color, etc. I always watch my temps on steep grades like that too, my critical one is Engine Coolant and it was in pretty good shape but outside temp was pretty low comparatively.

There is a pretty good resource for those on www.ih8mud.com, I'm sure this is a topic that has been discussed there, check that out and see if that can answer your questions. Otherwise I can discuss more if you can find what you're looking for.

I would be a little surprised if there isn't a factory trans oil cooler, it might be worth it to check to see if there's any blockage of that cooler, have it flushed out, etc.

Dan.

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

A larger than stock cooler is never a bad idea and one with and electric fan is better. Because when slowly climbing a trail at low rpm the engine driven fan (if your vehicle has one) don't pull that much air and can lead to higher temps.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Reactions: Dana

Dana

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

Dana, found some interesting discussions on 'mud.

Check these out for your education:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj62-a440f-at-oil-temp-light-rodney-response.899760/#post-10101506

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/at-oil-temp-light.1008524/#post-11198113

Not entirely sure if these discussions are related to gas or diesel engines but I think they're the same technology regarding the Temp light.

Dan
Dan, wow thanks. I will check them out. I was driving the rig today. This all may have to be put on hold. I think I have developed an Exhaust leak. It sounds way more throaty and I can here the turbo more now. So might consulting an exhaust shop. It's just money, right

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

Another thing to consider would be to upgrade to a synthetic transmission fluid. GM's dexron 6 has 150-200% (advertised) protection against heat and friction wear. Toyota's fluid should have similar benefits, Ron

itsdchz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Clovis, CA
Member #

I would use a bigger Hayden or B&M Transmission cooler inline with your stock setup. It will not hurt, and is a cheap, easy add-on. That is what I use, as I pull a 27' 5000lb trailer up the 4 lane of 168 all the time. I would also consider if you have ever had an issue up longer steep grades. It could be a concern that the fluid is not flowing, or low. I know a few old chevy/ford guys that have issues similar because the system doesnt have enough to push the fluid through when traveling on a long incline. Sorry, probably not much help, as my vehicle is just a tad newer than yours, which may equate to a whole different beast.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Dan, wow thanks. I will check them out. I was driving the rig today. This all may have to be put on hold. I think I have developed an Exhaust leak. It sounds way more throaty and I can here the turbo more now. So might consulting an exhaust shop. It's just money, right
Haha, I developed an exhaust leak up at OTG also, got worse as I traveled home.
I'll just get under there and weld it up when I get a chance.
Exhaust leaks can either be simple or expensive. They're usually expensive.

Dana

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

Haha, I developed an exhaust leak up at OTG also, got worse as I traveled home.
I'll just get under there and weld it up when I get a chance.
Exhaust leaks can either be simple or expensive. They're usually expensive.

Yeah I didn't hear mine until I got on the city streets back home. I had my windows open all the way home(on the freeway) because my Diesel additive spilled going up bald Mtn. Raging headache that day and the next. Hahaha. I don't weld, thinking I should just cough up the coin for an entire new exhaust. I am starting to like the new sound though. It just sounds more capable, hahaha.

Last edited: