• HTML tutorial

project.hi.vis

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

York, SC
Member #

Over the next few days as I take breaks from driving back home I will be posting photos and my daily entries from the TransAmerica Trail.

Currently I'm in Portland, Oregon getting some maintenance done on my jeep before I meet up with Veteran Overland. But before I put anything about my trip I want to say this Trail was an absolute blast! I've been told numerous times that my jeep was overbuilt for this and I just kept saying ahhh they are probably just saying that crap. Well they were right. Some of the items that I purchased and installed were not used one bit. Other stuff I used a lot and it saw a lot of wear. I will post my daily entries like I said earlier and then at the end I will list my gear and I'll make sure to label or mark what gear I used, how I liked it, and also what gear I didn't used and why I brought it. I hope this helps anyone that's wanting to get info about this trip and also what they should expect. I hope to make it back to SC by Tuesday (27JUN17).

Here are some pictures from my journey. And as I post them they will be in order.

Here are the states I traveled through:
North Carolina
Tennessee
Georgia
Back into Tennessee
Alabama
Back into Tennessee
Mississippi
Arkansas
Oklahoma
Kansas (detour due to torrential rains that cause horrible flooding)
Back into Oklahoma
New Mexico
Colorado
Utah
Nevada
Back into Utah
Idaho
Oregon

It was one hell of a trip and I recommend it to everyone! Do it all at once or do it in sections! It's badass!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Silverback_WK2

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tontitown, AR
Member #

I'm looking to do the Tennessee section in late summer with my Jeep WK2.
Building up my supplies and studying info for now.
Awesome trip and I've enjoyed your pics so far. Thanks for sharing!

project.hi.vis

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

York, SC
Member #

You'll want to continue the entire thing! I've enjoyed my trip it was a lot faster than I expected so I want to do it again and do it slower. My goal was 250 miles a day but some sections I ended up doubling that. I think next year I will start it over again and do it in maybe 4 sections.

Reactions: Rodneyrdm

Silverback_WK2

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tontitown, AR
Member #

You'll want to continue the entire thing! I've enjoyed my trip it was a lot faster than I expected so I want to do it again and do it slower. My goal was 250 miles a day but some sections I ended up doubling that. I think next year I will start it over again and do it in maybe 4 sections.

I'd love to, but will not have the time.
I'm thinking in 3-5 days doing Tennessee.

khorsa

Rank III

Advocate II

michigan
Great pictures, I would love to see more of them.

Did you use the paper thingy for your directions or GPS? Also, I followed other peoples trips online and I'm wondering what you did for sleeping arrangements in the south? A couple of trips I have seen they were sleeping in farmer's fields and such.

Reactions: theBROFESSOR

project.hi.vis

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

York, SC
Member #

I used Gaia GPS for my main maps, paper maps were a back up. There was one night where I stayed under a farmers barn in Tennessee. Other times I just found a nice secluded spot and set up camp. I rarely built a fire so my footprint was small and I didn't leave anything behind only tire tracks.

Tricklet03

Rank I

Traveler II

I used Gaia GPS for my main maps, paper maps were a back up. There was one night where I stayed under a farmers barn in Tennessee. Other times I just found a nice secluded spot and set up camp. I rarely built a fire so my footprint was small and I didn't leave anything behind only tire tracks.

Is there a GPS file you'd be willing to share?

Reactions: theBROFESSOR

Phil Preston

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Shelbyville, KY USA
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Preston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4LET
Service Branch
First Responder
I'm very interested in this as I'm going to be building me a new rig soon, (waiting for the new jeep jlu diesel) and then taking my son on this trip. Not only do I feel this is a great educational trip but its also great bonding trip. Have done many week long trips, and more weekend trips then I can count, but never a month long one yet. Would like to know what gear you found useful and also not needed. Also I see you used the transamtrail maps, where you aware of the maps gpskevin has for the trail? If so why you chose the previous over the others? Trying to gather as much info from as many people and places as I can. Thanks for any help your able to provide. Knowledge is power :)

WIGGLE

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Carmel, IN
Member #

Getting ready to set out on our trip on April 20th. I'll be using Gaia GPS as well as our inReach Explorer + for navigation. Any advise or info is much appreciated. Thanks.