Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Philadelphia, PA, USA
First Name
RICHARD
Last Name
BURKEHOLDER
Member #

Hello everyone, I'm looking to give the Trans-New Jersey Trail a go. m thinking of either doing it in sections or in one shot. I'm open to either since I live in the vicinity of the southern and northern sections of it. seeing if there's anyone out there that would want to team up with me and give it a go. I'm also open to doing it at any point of the year. I'm 100% fine with cold-weather camping if someone were inclined to go during these colder months. obviously, with the state of the world, we currently live in and the pandemic still being a huge part of our lives, social distancing and overall self-awareness are going to be a major part of this trip. please reach out if you have any questions or if you'd be interested in the trip!!! happy new year yall!

here is the latest thread I have found on this trail if you want to check it out.

Surffishingbum

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Newtown, PA, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Wabals
Member #

I might be interested, keep me posted. I am not a winter camper, I like the cold, but not that much, Spring would be nice.

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

Keep in mind that many of the state primitive camping areas are still in covid lockdown. That said, I'm always interested

Surffishingbum

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Newtown, PA, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Wabals
Member #

Sic Semper Tyrannis! Nobody should be able to delegate whether or not you go camping in the woods by yourself.
I remember a time not too long ago where the country I lived in was free and for the most part stayed out of our lives. I cant understand why they would feel the need to close down primitive campsites, maybe they are scared you might give covid to yourself.

Reactions: Dusther210

Mhobbes

Rank 0

Contributor I

Vermont, USA
First Name
M
Last Name
Hobbes
Sic Semper Tyrannis! Nobody should be able to delegate whether or not you go camping in the woods by yourself.
The OP said "seeing if there's anyone out there that would want to team up with me and give it a go." and others have said they would be interested in joining up. That's why Primitive campsites are closed, people who have no previous contact are looking to meet-up. It would be great if primitive sites where open to solo or family /pod camping, but that is too hard to monitor and enforce. I wish it were different, but looking forward to normal sometime this summer or fall.

TheGoof

Rank I

Contributor III

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Mosher
Howdy! We are planning on hitting the trail this summer. Still in the early planning stages but we (wife, son, daughter) are looking into what we will need since we are still newbs to Overlanding & Offroading. If anyone wants to plan on meeting up for the trail or portions of the trail, let me know.

Ri_T_chie B

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Philadelphia, PA, USA
First Name
RICHARD
Last Name
BURKEHOLDER
Member #

good morning everyone. It's been a while since I checked this. that being said, it seems as though NJ will be opening its campgrounds to the public according to this article... N.J. state park overnight campsites to reopen. Here is a full list of parks people can visit.

I'm planning on making this trip happen in a few weeks, closer to the end of April or the beginning of May. for those of you who would want to try this out, please let me know, and if there is a lot of interest I will start a whole event with limited trucks to keep things easy.

the trip should take about 3 days. I plan on leaving from highland state park on a Friday morning and finishing Sunday in Cape May so a little bit of a hustle.

hope all are well and I'll try and check this regularly.

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

@Ri_T_chie B that's great news. I called & emailed the office of the governor last week (as I hope many of you did). I'm grateful for the June 1st opening date, but isn't this still backwards? Opening group sites 1st? I guess I'll never understand...big dumb piney I am!

Roadkill

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hawley PA
First Name
Sebastian
Last Name
Lata
Member #

good morning everyone. It's been a while since I checked this. that being said, it seems as though NJ will be opening its campgrounds to the public according to this article... N.J. state park overnight campsites to reopen. Here is a full list of parks people can visit.

I'm planning on making this trip happen in a few weeks, closer to the end of April or the beginning of May. for those of you who would want to try this out, please let me know, and if there is a lot of interest I will start a whole event with limited trucks to keep things easy.

the trip should take about 3 days. I plan on leaving from highland state park on a Friday morning and finishing Sunday in Cape May so a little bit of a hustle.

I’m ready to do this, if you are serious, let me know. I’m open to doing in 3 days. Camping along the way. I live near the start at the northern side. Let me know.

Ri_T_chie B

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Philadelphia, PA, USA
First Name
RICHARD
Last Name
BURKEHOLDER
Member #

Was just looking into camping today actually. Thinking of hitting the trail on the morning of the 23rd but camping out in high point state park the night of the 22nd so I can get a good early start. Currently looking into additional camping locations depending how how far or long each day will take.

Mspiduro23

Rank 0

Traveler I

Williamstown, Monroe, NJ, USA
First Name
Marc
Last Name
Spiduro Jr

I’m ready to do this, if you are serious, let me know. I’m open to doing in 3 days. Camping along the way. I live near the start at the northern side. Let me know.
Me and few people are going to high point on april 30 but not starting the trail until the following morning.

Ri_T_chie B

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Philadelphia, PA, USA
First Name
RICHARD
Last Name
BURKEHOLDER
Member #

just to keep up with this thread. I booked my sites for this trip for the weekend of the 23rd of this month. (April)

April 22nd (Thursday night) I will be in high point skatepark for the night. ( there is a 2-night minimum so unfortunately unless you stay both nights, you have to spring for the extra night. kind of annoying if you ask me)
April 23rd (Friday) start of the trail and ending up in the Spruce run recreation area. (this is another 2-night minimum stay.)
April 24th (Saturday) is the second leg of the trip and ending up in Byrne state park for the night. (I was able to book just 1 night for this spot.)
April 25th and the final push to finish the trail.

this is all dependent upon the trail conditions of course. I've never done anything up in north jersey but I'm pretty familiar with the pine barrens and it can be a time suck if things are flooded out and if trees are down. its all part of the adventure right?!?!?!

either way, I hope to see one of you out there! I will be out traveling with my brother who is also an OB member and may have another guy link up who's also an OB member. should be a good time!!

267-528-7900... feel free to shoot me a text if you have any questions.

Marvaz

Rank III

Enthusiast I

New jersey
First Name
Marcos
Last Name
V
Member #

Whats up everyone. I’ll be doing the trail starting at high point on may 7th with the fam. Getting all my camping stuff together, can’t wait. On that note, anyone that’s done this trail know if there are any locations where you would need to air down for a long period of time or if at all?

Marvaz

Rank III

Enthusiast I

New jersey
First Name
Marcos
Last Name
V
Member #

just to keep up with this thread. I booked my sites for this trip for the weekend of the 23rd of this month. (April)

April 22nd (Thursday night) I will be in high point skatepark for the night. ( there is a 2-night minimum so unfortunately unless you stay both nights, you have to spring for the extra night. kind of annoying if you ask me)
April 23rd (Friday) start of the trail and ending up in the Spruce run recreation area. (this is another 2-night minimum stay.)
April 24th (Saturday) is the second leg of the trip and ending up in Byrne state park for the night. (I was able to book just 1 night for this spot.)
April 25th and the final push to finish the trail.

this is all dependent upon the trail conditions of course. I've never done anything up in north jersey but I'm pretty familiar with the pine barrens and it can be a time suck if things are flooded out and if trees are down. its all part of the adventure right?!?!?!

either way, I hope to see one of you out there! I will be out traveling with my brother who is also an OB member and may have another guy link up who's also an OB member. should be a good time!!

267-528-7900... feel free to shoot me a text if you have any questions.
How were you able to book Byrne State park for just one night? Online is making me book two just like Spruce Run.