Launch Member

Influencer I

Mobile, Alabama
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Bell
Member #

Has anyone here driven any section of the Trans-America Trail? I have considered doing a section but I am at least 6 hours away from the nearest point of the trail, which is in North Mississippi. I know it would be a long weekend just to do a short section but I may like to try a piece of it one day in the next year or so.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

I keep hearing about this trail and your post led me to do some quick research on it's actual path. It appears that I'm about 7 hours south of the east-t0-west trail. The "official" website lists this as a dual sport trail, any idea what portions of this trail is open to vehicles with 4 wheels?

I noticed that there is a "Shadow of the Rockies" trail that is listed on their website here: http://www.transamtrail.com/shadow-of-the-rockies-trail/ This one got my blood pumping because on the rough draft graphic it appears to run right through my area! No confirmation on if the whole thing can be done with 4 wheels though... I may buy the GPS kit for this one and see what I can come up with!

Awesome video by the way! It looks like the east portion starts near my hometown in Tennessee, so this one is on the bucket list!

Reactions: Michael and Brutus

Brutus

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Mobile, Alabama
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Bell
Member #

I believe that they were able to do most, if not all, of the trail @stringtwelve. It is supposed to be just dirt roads. I don't think there are too many tight trails. I have been looking on youtube for more videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Michael

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

To my knowledge, all of the trail is passable by 4x4 except for a section of sand dunes on the far west side of it. There is a couple who did it back in 2011 I think. Their blog is here.

Reactions: Michael and Brutus

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

There was a father and son from near me who did it last summer in a Jeep pulling a enclosed trailer. The guy that started the route was a dual sport rider so news of it spread in those groups. I think that's why it's called or described as a dual sport trail or route. It is on my bucket list to do someday but that's a long trip.

Reactions: Brutus

spiralinguru

Rank 0

Traveler II

See the documentary unbranded, they did it on horseback. Looks awesome.

Built FZJ80
If it ain't broke, fix it again.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I've been reading about it for a couple years now. Interesting, and I've considered getting the map. From my understanding, it's forever changing, due to road and route closures, etc.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I have thought about take a week to start it and see how far I can get leaving time to get back home by the end of the week. Most likely that's the only way I am going to get to do it anytime soon.

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Seriously considering the Shadow of the Rockies trail this year. It's also one that's been routed by the TAT team.
Not familiar with that trail, at least by that name. Will have to check it out.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
A guy named Derrick Metz did part/most of the TAT pulling a custom built tear drop trailer with a Nissan, said it wasn't too tough. If you listen to "The 4x4 Podcast" he gave an account of it on episode #108.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

gerberbaby

Rank 0

Contributor I

A guy named Derrick Metz did part/most of the TAT pulling a custom built tear drop trailer with a Nissan, said it wasn't too tough. If you listen to "The 4x4 Podcast" he gave an account of it on episode #108.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
If you go on to Derrick metz website ( http://derrickmetz.com/ ) he has is track logged from his delorme for the TAT and the Canadian adventure trail.

sailor96

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fairfax VA
Member #

I keep hearing about this trail and your post led me to do some quick research on it's actual path. It appears that I'm about 7 hours south of the east-t0-west trail. The "official" website lists this as a dual sport trail, any idea what portions of this trail is open to vehicles with 4 wheels?

I noticed that there is a "Shadow of the Rockies" trail that is listed on their website here: http://www.transamtrail.com/shadow-of-the-rockies-trail/ This one got my blood pumping because on the rough draft graphic it appears to run right through my area! No confirmation on if the whole thing can be done with 4 wheels though... I may buy the GPS kit for this one and see what I can come up with!

Awesome video by the way! It looks like the east portion starts near my hometown in Tennessee, so this one is on the bucket list!
I bought the TAT file and love it
I ran the first part from Tellico Plains to around Fayetteville TN- great weekend trip, plenty of places to camp- primitive or full blown campground
It's a open to all- not all trails- alot more local/county country roads than I thought- but still a great trip
Also there are "loops" in MS- on the TAT website
Just saw @ElvisExMachina trip post on MS trail-
Good stuff
Next trip will be Fayetteville to AR

my .02

Last edited:

ElvisExMachina

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor I

Member #

I've run all of the Mississippi portions of the Trans America Trail, The Mississippi Hill Country Trail, and the Lake Hill Motors Trail. These are all easily run in a 4x4. Below are a few more videos from the trails along those paths.