First Name
Josh
Last Name
Dante
Member #

Service Branch
USAF vet
Hi all,
Thinking of trading in my 2-door wrangler for something that is both good on the trails and that you can sleep inside somewhat comfortably (6’1” tall) without doing any major mods. What comes to mind that would fit that?

I was looking at the Compass Trailhawk, but it is too small inside. Thanks!

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

JK or JL, depends on your budget and one of these. Cheap, comparatively and easy. Kinda like my ex wife.

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

I would look at Toyota 4Runners. I don’t have much experience with the current generation, but they have a great smooth ride! They should be big enough inside to sleep in, and are capable, reliable, and have plenty of aftermarket support. I do have experience with the older generations, my current one is a 1985 first generation, and I have plenty of room to sleep even stretched out (I’m 6’0”). There are plenty of YouTube videos on making a sleeping area in the back of a 4Runner, that should give you plenty of ideas.

Reactions: JoshDante

Paw

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Redwood City
Member #

I'm 6'2 and have slept inside my 5th gen 4runner very comfortably, I have the slide out cargo tray in the back which makes for a level floor from front seats to lift gate.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

4Runner or Land Cruiser or similar will be your best bet out of the box. JLU platforms are a stretch when you're over 6' as there's exactly 6' behind the seats not including lost space for the cupholders... it can be done if you are a side sleeper or can push the passenger seat all the way forward but gear becomes an issue.

JoshDante

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Waterford Twp, MI, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Dante
Member #

Service Branch
USAF vet
Thanks everyone, I hadn’t considered 4runners so that should be interesting to learn more. And yeah, I kind of felt like even a 4 door Jeep would be a tight fit!

JoshDante

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Waterford Twp, MI, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Dante
Member #

Service Branch
USAF vet
I’ll still consider the Jeeps, too since I’m not going to be laying on my back with legs straight out (yep, I just figured that out).

CO_Jeep_Zach

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Fairbanks, AK
First Name
Zach
Last Name
W
Member #

If you are looking for relatively new and as capable off road as your Jeep, then the 4Runner or JKU/JLU would probably be your best bet. You'll give up breakover angle but if you were considering a Compass, that isn't an issue though the Mrs' Cherokee Trailhawk has surprised me off road. I just have to be careful and remember that I'm not in a JK on 35s.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Land Rover 109 has a 6' bed in the 3door regular model. I have slept on the floor of mine, I'm 5'10", and I have 2 cots now that fit above the wheel wells.

That said my wife and I slept in the back of my 88 Land Rover bed. I made a flip out plywood extension and some leveling legs, she made a canvas "tent" to cover the open door. That was in 1976.

LR003.JPG

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
We’ve set up an LC80 and our current Montero to sleep inside; both have enough room, with front seats a little forward of where they’ll be for driving.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Thanks everyone, I hadn’t considered 4runners so that should be interesting to learn more. And yeah, I kind of felt like even a 4 door Jeep would be a tight fit!
I'm 6' 1" and 310lbs. Just came back from Colorado and Utah with my 175lb Great Dane/Bull Mastiff and we slept in the rear. It wasnt the Four Seasons but it was comfrotable.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I'm partial to Jeeps and have a LJ on 37s and Compass trailhawk and I have been toying with the idea of building into the back of the LJ. The trailhawk really isn't enough room for much and I'm only 5'9". I will likely ed up building some sort of camper into the back of the LJ at some point but I blew the budget earlier this year keeping up with maintenance and doing a longer trip ( and its thirsty....)

1606183415845.png

Attachments

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I would second the 4Runner, but you could also consider a truck with a bed enclosure.

I am only 5'11, but my 5th gen Rav4 is big enough for us to sleep in as long as I have a way to support my head on the gap behind the front seats (i.e. a flat plywood panel to go under the bedding.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Current generation 4 Runner!

Back in 2016, I rented one for a Cannonball-esque run from New England to Florida and back in the same weekend. Reclining the seats was "good enough" and I'm sure folding the rear seats down and with a decent air mattress, I'm sure it would have been fine