Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Richmond, VA, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Moy
Member #

You have lots of good choices in V/WV Border. Flagpole Knob, Switzer Lake, Big Levels, Union Springs, Potts Mountain, Crabtree Falls... there are plenty of trails, ranging from easy to difficult as far as 4x4 level goes, all with decent camping areas. Just do your research and get out there! Nothing like exploring new places.

Frontieroffroad

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Virginia
First Name
michael
Last Name
morris
Member #

You have lots of good choices in V/WV Border. Flagpole Knob, Switzer Lake, Big Levels, Union Springs, Potts Mountain, Crabtree Falls... there are plenty of trails, ranging from easy to difficult as far as 4x4 level goes, all with decent camping areas. Just do your research and get out there! Nothing like exploring new places.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I am going on a vacation in this area soon and would like to do an afternoon trail in the woods. Since it will just be me and my wife, and she’s not really into off-roaring, I think a nice easy overland trail would be better. I was interested in Flagpole Knob, but some of the videos I’ve seen make that look too technical for just dipping my toes in the water in this area. The only trail you mentioned not in that immediate area, but close to where we are going, is Potts Mountain. Any specific recommendations for a couple-hour excursion off pavement, but no rock climbing or deep mud?

EDIT: Found some videos of Potts Mtn. Looks way too technical. Any other recommendations for this area, or is everything an off-road challenge?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dusther210

foamy_squirrel

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Richmond, VA, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Moy
Member #

Nah, actually Flagpole knob is a very easy/intermediate trail to start on. All the major obstacles can be avoided and it only takes about 1.5 hours max if you're crawling. Start at Elkhorn lake area, and ride up to flagpole. Lots of great, open campsites available on the way there and back.

Also, consider Switzer lake trail. Easy/Intermediate trail, again, all obstacles can be avoided. Very beautiful trail, good camp areas as well. Switzer lake can also be run straight to flagpole knob, if that is your final destination.

When were you planning on going? I am always down to be a guide, haha!

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Nah, actually Flagpole knob is a very easy/intermediate trail to start on. All the major obstacles can be avoided and it only takes about 1.5 hours max if you're crawling. Start at Elkhorn lake area, and ride up to flagpole. Lots of great, open campsites available on the way there and back.

Also, consider Switzer lake trail. Easy/Intermediate trail, again, all obstacles can be avoided. Very beautiful trail, good camp areas as well. Switzer lake can also be run straight to flagpole knob, if that is your final destination.

When were you planning on going? I am always down to be a guide, haha!
Thanks for that info. Not really sure when we’re going thru or what route we are taking. That area just seems relatively close to our route, which is west of there. I’d like a thru route, but need to study the map more to see if there re easy entrances on the southwest side of that area, as we plan to be traveling northward. If that doesn’t work, I guess we could start up near the lake, drive for an hour or so south, and then turn around.

foamy_squirrel

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Richmond, VA, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Moy
Member #

Thanks for that info. Not really sure when we’re going thru or what route we are taking. That area just seems relatively close to our route, which is west of there. I’d like a thru route, but need to study the map more to see if there re easy entrances on the southwest side of that area, as we plan to be traveling northward. If that doesn’t work, I guess we could start up near the lake, drive for an hour or so south, and then turn around.
You can go through. If you take switzer to flagpole and then continue towards elkhorn lake area, there is an intersection that you can take a left on, and it will take you out to civilization. There are a few ways to plan it so it's a through route.

Just take a look at Gaia and study the map and trails. It's not too difficult.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

You can go through. If you take switzer to flagpole and then continue towards elkhorn lake area, there is an intersection that you can take a left on, and it will take you out to civilization. There are a few ways to plan it so it's a through route.

Just take a look at Gaia and study the map and trails. It's not too difficult.
OK. I see that 25 and/or 24 comes out on the west side near Sugar Grove Radio Station. Is that area accessible and an easy drive? If I could enter over near Sugar Grove, head east to Flagpole Knob, and then go north to Switzer Lake and exit there, I think that would work.

SorrTrek

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Washington, DC
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Sorrell
Member #

I'll be checking out Peters Mill Run. Seems to be a very simple trail, but rides the Ridgeline in shenadoah, so some good views.

I've done Flagpole a couple of times, can be easy, but you can definitely make it harder. Ran it at night once. Great mud pit and some nice camping spots.

Kennedy Rudge gets real tight and seems to become a hiking trail, but great view from the top.

Some folks also head up to green ridge state park or other spots in MD or PA to hit parks or trails. Not sure if that's viable.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I've done Flagpole a couple of times, can be easy, but you can definitely make it harder. Ran it at night once. Great mud pit and some nice camping spots.
I did Flagpole on a vacation to the area. I entered from the west, north of the Naval Observatory. The trail was pretty simple up to the knob at Flagpole and had some nice views. Going east and then north from there, the road degraded quickly. Nothing real challenging, but tons of rocks in the road making for a bumpy and slow ride. Once you get near the lake area, it smooths out again. Stock 4R TRD OR.

SorrTrek

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Washington, DC
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Sorrell
Member #

I did Flagpole on a vacation to the area. I entered from the west, north of the Naval Observatory. The trail was pretty simple up to the knob at Flagpole and had some nice views. Going east and then north from there, the road degraded quickly. Nothing real challenging, but tons of rocks in the road making for a bumpy and slow ride. Once you get near the lake area, it smooths out again. Stock 4R TRD OR.
Once past the mud pit, I think there is one steep Rocky part on the road to the lake, I believe this is Dunkel Hollow and turns into Switzer Lake. Other than the steep area, I think lines can be picked that stock is doable for newer drivers.

There is an area where you can turn off onto Union Spring, and from what I've heard, this route is much more difficult.

I was in stock 4R as well, with bigger tires.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Once past the mud pit, I think there is one steep Rocky part on the road to the lake, I believe this is Dunkel Hollow and turns into Switzer Lake. Other than the steep area, I think lines can be picked that stock is doable for newer drivers.

There is an area where you can turn off onto Union Spring, and from what I've heard, this route is much more difficult.

Interesting you should say that. Based on a YouTube video I saw of a a group of jeeps coming in from the north, I expected to have issues on stock tires “climbing” back north. However, I never encountered that area. I wonder if that is on one of those bypasses I went around.

Reactions: SorrTrek

SorrTrek

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Washington, DC
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Sorrell
Member #

Interesting you should say that. Based on a YouTube video I saw of a a group of jeeps coming in from the north, I expected to have issues on stock tires “climbing” back north. However, I never encountered that area. I wonder if that is on one of those bypasses I went around.
Yeah, I think that is Dunkel hollow. I came from that direction at night once, stupid 4Runner brakes were letting go, so pucker moment for sure. Definitely encouraged me to get the Tundra brake upgrade.

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

Surprised no one has mentioned Canaan Loop yet. It's near Blackwater Falls State Park (WV). The forest service road is groomed gravel with numerous campsites. There is a section that is not maintained that runs through "not national forest", but one does not need to drive that section if they don't mind backtracking.
That's a beautiful area worth exploring. Lots of hiking trails as well.

Boucher

Rank V

Member II

Maidens, VA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Boucher
Member #

Service Branch
Retired USN
OK. I see that 25 and/or 24 comes out on the west side near Sugar Grove Radio Station. Is that area accessible and an easy drive? If I could enter over near Sugar Grove, head east to Flagpole Knob, and then go north to Switzer Lake and exit there, I think that would work.
Its easy you can do a loop either by going from 33 or 250 as that road acess's both, A good days ride would be come in on 250 from Stantaun and follow road to 25 and drive up the paved road to the trail head for flag pole, go down mountain through switzer lake area and exit onto 33 back to Harrisonburg

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Its easy you can do a loop either by going from 33 or 250 as that road acess's both, A good days ride would be come in on 250 from Stantaun and follow road to 25 and drive up the paved road to the trail head for flag pole, go down mountain through switzer lake area and exit onto 33 back to Harrisonburg
When we did the trail, we came from the west on the road just north of the naval observatory. It was a pretty easy drive to the knob, relative to going north from the knob.

Reactions: Boucher

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Surprised no one has mentioned Canaan Loop yet. It's near Blackwater Falls State Park (WV). The forest service road is groomed gravel with numerous campsites. There is a section that is not maintained that runs through "not national forest", but one does not need to drive that section if they don't mind backtracking.
That's a beautiful area worth exploring. Lots of hiking trails as well.
This is the first I’ve heard of Canaan Loop. Do you know where I can get a gpx file for this?