Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I'm going to build my next trailer. I know my wants and have started to design. Currently I'm using Sketch-up on my Mac for this purpose.
What programs do you folks use?

I require to be able to stand up it in, yet haul low-profile. Yep, must have a pop-top!
When I saw Wesley Harville's Foxtail Camper.. Ya, that's the Pop-top!
Foxtail Camper

I have learned from 20K plus miles Boondocking over the last year, that we need a inside shower. Working with the wet-bath we now have, I see it is completely possible.
I just need to re-design it to be more efficient/practical. I have a concept of a low wall and a hinged cover to be able to utilize counter space and flip it up to use the toilet/shower.
This is one of those designs I'm finding hard to do in Sketch-up.

A inside kitchen (as well as a outside) is also a must to this build.

Well, I could go on for quite a while longer, but for now.. Consider this my introduction to ya all and an idea of where I'm headed.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Was kinda hoping I'd see some sort of response.. I'll be patient and wait for the Holiday weekend to be over. I know I didn't pay to be here, yet hoped to hear from someone.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I think several of us have replied on a different forum.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

testing out this forum?, sounds by the video in your 1st post you have already have all the information to this so-called build you speak of. Many of us are teardrop, squaredrop, roof top tent trailer owners. Most of us have simple & practical trailers that serve each of our needs.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Was kinda hoping I'd see some sort of response.. I'll be patient and wait for the Holiday weekend to be over. I know I didn't pay to be here, yet hoped to hear from someone.

Are you asking for ideas how to do this in Sketch-Up? if so, maybe state what feedback you need, otherwise I'm not sure what you need feedback on.
You have some great ideas, inside shower, in/out kitchen, i'd be interested to see how it goes.
I have a trailer, it has certainly changed the way I camp. The video you shared has some clever ideas for sure.

g'luck on your build, keep us updated here.

Dan.

TwoRoadsOverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Glen Cove, NY, USA
First Name
Max
Last Name
Cheney
Member #

I used Sketchup for about 8 years. I think the photography saying "The best camera is the one you have" also applies here. If you are comfortable with Sketchup, by all means, use that. I personally use Fusion 360. It's a bit of a learning curve coming from Sketchup but in my mind was well worth it. There's really 3 benefits it has over Skp in my mind. Parametric modeling, solid modeling and manufacturer components (with the sketchup 3D warehouse ymmv). However, Sketchup will always have a place in my heart and I still use it for less complex projects where I want a quick drawing that is a little more than a napkin sketch.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I'm going to build my next trailer. I know my wants and have started to design. Currently I'm using Sketch-up on my Mac for this purpose.
What programs do you folks use?

I require to be able to stand up it in, yet haul low-profile. Yep, must have a pop-top!
When I saw Wesley Harville's Foxtail Camper.. Ya, that's the Pop-top!
Foxtail Camper

I have learned from 20K plus miles Boondocking over the last year, that we need a inside shower. Working with the wet-bath we now have, I see it is completely possible.
I just need to re-design it to be more efficient/practical. I have a concept of a low wall and a hinged cover to be able to utilize counter space and flip it up to use the toilet/shower.
This is one of those designs I'm finding hard to do in Sketch-up.

A inside kitchen (as well as a outside) is also a must to this build.

Well, I could go on for quite a while longer, but for now.. Consider this my introduction to ya all and an idea of where I'm headed.
Cant wait to see it. Your first trailer is the cats meow anyway. Thanks forn sharing the video.
Lanlubber

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Sorry folks for not seeing the last posts, I don't get notified if responded to.. Been on another site and learning. I designed my probable build and in process learned about 'Foamie" construction and built a Sleepertop for my Pickup.

My little space of heaven!

Out the other side! WHOA! Actually wasn't all that deeper...

Bed fits us and extension (tent over the hatch) worked out great! Mostly because I learned how to sew!

I now have a design for a overland trailer (standup w/pop-top), a design for a pop-top (ya, like this idea) slide-in or bed replacement (which I do really like) trailer.
Designing point now, with learning a lighter way of doing this, is to go towable or combined...