Rank I

Enthusiast I

New Jersey, USA
First Name
Al
Last Name
Bermudez
Member #

Looking to purchase a trailer to pull behind my Tacoma. I like the idea of having a base camp but wonder what’s the probability of it being stolen and how to deter thieves. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: JDGreens

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Take your very large and intimidating dogs with you. They may dissuade someone from circumventing the hitch locks, wheel locks, padlocks, land-mines, pungee-sticks, sniper nests, etc...

Bat21

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Pima County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Ancona
Member #

I was at a trailer outlet in Tucson and I saw a wheel lock. Similar to what you put around the wheel of a bicycle to keep it from getting stolen.

I have the same concerns as you...even though my trailer will have the lock n roll hitch...more than likely I will be in the middle of no where and thieves will have plenty of time to figure a way...

eriefisher

Rank III

Advocate I

Southern Ontario, Canada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
LaForme
I think they are called Krypton locks. A heavy wire cable with a locking device. Extremely difficult to cut. Run it through the wheel onto the frame. Also ball/hitch locks. These will certainly deter the casual looker.

Reactions: SS308

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Some of us more paranoid types also picked up a wheel-lock that covers lug nuts and prevents the wheel from turning. My greatest piece of mind, however, came from hiding one of our cell phones with the gos tracker turned on inside the trailer while we went trail riding away from base camp. As long as I get phone service, I can locate my trailer.

I also plan on ordering some of those gps tracking discs online so I won’t have touse one of our phones. Plus they are easier to hide and you get multiple discs that are trackable via phone app. A little James Bond-ish, but peace of mind is peace of mind.

I also like to either have someone stay in camp or maybe have a large dog in your crew that likes to let unknown people around your camp that he is there and will eat them if they persist... The idea is to thwart the opportunistic theif, and harden your camp to make it more difficult.

I am also considering adding a removeable tongue so my trailer can not easily be snatched or one that is not a ball hitch, like a pintle style.

With the money involved in putting these trailers together and outfitting them, anything one does to make them a hard target is worth it. Could even add a car-alarm tied to a battery or solar. Make lots of noise if someone trips it. Heck there may even be tech out there so your phone gets a message and activated a gps signal.

Reactions: JDGreens

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I've hauled my XV-2 Xventure Trailer all over No America for about four years. I've set up camp in every kind of place from national and state parks to private land and wildlife areas, in situations from organized campgrounds to way the hell off-pavement along the border, and haven't had a bit of worry about someone grabbing my trailer.

It's usually either hooked to my van (that deters anyone from messing with it and possibly alerting me) or is so set up as basecamp that it would be a major hassle for someone to pack it all up before grabbing and running away with it. I just have not had a problem with mine in all the various places I've been with it.

GoM_1319-1080n.jpeg

Though, with a simple search, here are a couple older threads with theft deterrent ideas:

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

I've hauled my XV-2 Xventure Trailer all over No America for about four years. I've set up camp in every kind of place from national and state parks to private land and wildlife areas, in situations from organized campgrounds to way the hell off-pavement along the border, and haven't had a bit of worry about someone grabbing my trailer.

It's usually either hooked to my van (that deters anyone from messing with it and possibly alerting me) or is so set up as basecamp that it would be a major hassle for someone to pack it all up before grabbing and running away with it. I just have not had a problem with mine in all the various places I've been with it.

View attachment 206406

Though, with a simple search, here are a couple older threads with theft deterrent ideas:

How are you liking your Sondors ebike?

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

How are you liking your Sondors ebike?
Love it!

It's simply one of the best three investments I've made in gear for adventuring. The others are my XV-2 XVenture trailer and my 14' Hornbeck Nomad canoe.

I've had my Sondors X for four years and take it with me on every adventure.

vanint_6042-900.jpg

- It's a great rescue vehicle; If broke down I can ride out from way off-pavement in a tenth of the time it would take me to walk out, which can literally mean the difference between life and death when solo in the desert borderlands.
- It's a great scout vehicle; I've used it to scout miles ahead on dirt and gravel trails to check for washed out arroyos, impassable trails, dead ends with no turnarounds, etc.
- It's a terrific pack mule; I've used it for everything from supply runs to local markets to hauling back firewood I've scavenged from mountain woods, bayou trails, and deserted campgrounds.
- It's just a blast to ride and explore.

I can charge the 17.5ah 48V Panasonic battery (the large triangle mid-frame) from the deep cycles (which stay charged with my solar setup) and inverter on my trailer, and have yet to replace anything on it. Just regular maintenance like any multi-speed regular bike.

The fat tires allow me to run beaches, snow, desert sands, camp trails, urban roads and pavement, go up over curbs, rocks, etc.

It's light enough I can easily lift it into my van, where it lives when not being ridden.

You can read more about my experiences with it here:

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

Love it!

It's simply one of the best three investments I've made in gear for adventuring. The others are my XV-2 XVenture trailer and my 14' Hornbeck Nomad canoe.

I've had my Sondors X for four years and take it with me on every adventure.

View attachment 206419

- It's a great rescue vehicle; If broke down I can ride out from way off-pavement in a tenth of the time it would take me to walk out, which can literally mean the difference between life and death when solo in the desert borderlands.
- It's a great scout vehicle; I've used it to scout miles ahead on dirt and gravel trails to check for washed out arroyos, impassable trails, dead ends with no turnarounds, etc.
- It's a terrific pack mule; I've used it for everything from supply runs to local markets to hauling back firewood I've scavenged from mountain woods, bayou trails, and deserted campgrounds.
- It's just a blast to ride and explore.

I can charge the 17.5ah 48V Panasonic battery (the large triangle mid-frame) from the deep cycles (which stay charged with my solar setup) and inverter on my trailer, and have yet to replace anything on it. Just regular maintenance like any multi-speed regular bike.

The fat tires allow me to run beaches, snow, desert sands, camp trails, urban roads and pavement, go up over curbs, rocks, etc.

It's light enough I can easily lift it into my van, where it lives when not being ridden.

You can read more about my experiences with it here:

Thanks for the info They seem to have a cult like following.

Reactions: Road

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I have never heard of those bikes before but just checked them out, they are cool as heck. I expect they work as a traditional bike if you want to just pedal and save battery as well?

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
If they REALLY want your trailer, they will get it. Keep that in mind.....then, just make it harder to take than the others!

Hitch locks that cover the entire coupler AND the chains.....trailers can be stolen with just the chains. Many wheel locks can be cut quickly with a battery operated reciprocating saw and a metal blade. And make a long loop of audio that you can leave playing inside the camper when you are gone. Sports, music, tv show, etc. make it sound like someone inside resting. Those are some of the interesting tips I've been given over time.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506

View attachment 206406

Yup, We have never been anywhere where we felt the necessity to “ lock-up”. Many years ago we parked our rag topped trailer & rag topped jeep in a rough neighborhood of Montreal. We visited my friend for several hours. When we got back to our rig nothing had been disturbed. As with Road’s encampment a thief would have to be able to pack everything in, then, with ours, have a pintle hook & have the driving skill to drag a trailer through some very technical terrain in order to get to pavement. If, on the other hand, ones trailer is targeted, then cased, there is no way to prevent theft. If a thief wants anything badly enough, they’re gonna get it.
If, we chose to camp in populated areas, I’d no doubt use a lunett ring lock, very similar to a ball hitch lock. As I do not live in fear, I’ve never felt the need for anything other than a good insurance policy

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
If they REALLY want your trailer, they will get it. Keep that in mind.....then, just make it harder to take than the others!
Agree. Locks pretty much just keep honest people honest. Although I don't have a camp trailer, I do still have a farm trailer that I do not want stolen. I use your basic Reese hitch lock like shown below. I know it's not gonna keep a determined thief from taking it, but I'm comfortable enough with it to not worry at night.
lock.jpg

Reactions: Biker Eagle

dchurch

Rank III

Advocate I

Oregon, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Church
I'm a retired USFS law officer. Theft of entire trailers is pretty rare especially in remote uncrowded areas. More often thieves steal easy to grab items. I've seen a bunch of gear and parts stolen. We've done a few things for peace of mind.

Our Max coupler slides out of the hitch receiver. We remove it and and use a locking hitch pin.

I also installed a tilt switch alarm system. If the trailer tongue is raised or lowered more than an inch or two a siren starts going off.

I swapped out some common fasteners with the security type so someone has to do more than spin off a few nuts to seal a $900 battery, awning... I also did some descret engraving on most of our gear. We have cable padlocks on our propane tanks.

X2 on leaving a radio playing.

Two of my 4x4s have been broken into for petty items. The worst was while I was surfing a remote beach. The thieves broke a window out of my brand new truck and stole a bag that included my clothes. I had to walk a few miles barefoot in a wetsuit to find a phone...

We've talked about getting a game camera, for fun and also for watching our camp while away.

Reactions: zgfiredude

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
When I had my trailer built, we did a removable tongue, could still be stolen, but a lot more work. I will also wrap a cable around the axle and through the wheel

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

With lots of visible bling, you will attract rodents.

No diffrent than leaving yer watch in a washroom.
A muddy Timex will sit for days, a Rolex will be gone before you notice you left it behind.
Keep the valuables out of sight. Toys all over the trailer say please take me.

But you'll have more issues in a WalMart parking lot than parked on the lake shore.

Reactions: Road

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
This is what I do. I have a lunette ring lock ,or I can put a locking pin in the receiver and a wheel lock. of course anyone with a flatbed can drag the trailer up on the bed.

thumbnail (2).jpgthumbnail (4).jpgthumbnail (5).jpgthumbnail (10).jpg

Reactions: er waddell and Road