Trail Toys NSA Switch Panel

• HTML tutorial

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

There are a handful of vendors building kits to tidy up accessory wiring on our trucks. Two big ones come to mind with sPOD, and Switch-Pros

One you may not have heard of is Trail Toys and their NSA (No Strings Attached) Switch Panel

Trail Toys is one guy, located near Houston, Texas. (He also designed and built the fuel tank skid plate that's on my truck.) I'm a big fan of supporting local businesses whenever possible, however not at the expense of function.

The NSA is an interesting device because unlike the other two I mentioned, the entire unit is self contained under the hood of your truck. There's no bundle of wires to pull into the cab, or switch panel to wire, and find an spot to install. Instead what Trail Toys provides is a small 8 button remote control, that controls the 8 fused relay circuits via RF. This works from upwards of 200 feet away from the truck.

I haven't received my NSA yet, so this post and the following two are a bit of a place holder. I have however used the unit installed in their truck, and I have very high hopes.

Reactions: Boort and Steve

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I'm interested to see how this goes. I'm usually hesitant about trusting functionality to batteries, but the east of installation might be worth it.

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

I'm interested to see how this goes. I'm usually hesitant about trusting functionality to batteries, but the east of installation might be worth it.
Ultimately all the lights on my truck are wired to the battery already anyway. What exactly is it you're concerned about because I'm actually interested.

This simply cleans up all the relays, fuses, and wiring into a tidy box. Second, it prevents me from pulling 9 or 10 cables through the firewall to wire up 8 toggle switches, and finding a place to mount those 8 switches.

Looks useful. Not sure I like all red wire.
I work on some equipment that has 2 harness' that measure 1 1/4 each, all white wires.
I agree with all red output wires. I think the logic he was going with is, the box only supplies 12v outputs. Ground is still handled via a chassis ground at each switched device. It would have been nice to color code the outputs though.

Front Panel Express for custom panels, they're surprisingly inexpensive!
I've actually used Front Panel before. Fantastic company! Unfortunately I've used up most of the convenient places in the Tacoma for a switch panel, and didn't want to go cutting into the dash if I didn't have to. The one slot that's open is below the HVAC, behind the cup holders. Which is a great spot for switches, as long as you never carry drinks :)

I should have the NSA Switch Box by the end of the week, and will likely have install photos in place by the weekend. Complete with a couple of new circuits.

Reactions: WUzombies

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

It was the remote control rather than hard-wired that was my concern.
got it!... So I was talking to the owner of Trail Toys about the remotes, and found out they operate on 12v. As a result I ordered a second one, which I'm going to attempt to wire into the truck's cab directly. (more photos to come when that happens.) I don't know if it'll work or if I'll fry the extra, and have to order another one, and install a zener diode to keep the voltage at 12v even when the truck is running. We'll know soon enough :)

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

awesome! A little pricey though, or I'm just cheap lol
For what the raw components are I think so. For what the finished product is, they're cheaper than the two other big players in this space. sPOD, and Switch-Pros.
For me it's about ease and convenience. I don't have a full shop in my garage to build something super clean and neat, and I refuse to have a rats nest of wires under the hood of my truck. I've seen too many poorly wired rigs have electrical fires on the trail.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I'm not against trying new things.

But in my years, I've really found that you tend to get what you pay for. Unless you're SURE about something that's cheeper, it's usually better to go with the product that's known to have quality.

Nobody wants a bad switch/relay to catch fire, or burn out that expensive piece of equipment it's powering.

Just my 2 cents.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

I think it is pricey as well. But what disturbs me the most is the remote controll. That is soo uncool.
There you have a very cool truck, and then you have that home electro remote control thingy in your car.
If he would make that in a cool case with cool buttons and a place for any dash/A-pillar or so, well then it would be interesting.

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

I think it is pricey as well. But what disturbs me the most is the remote controll. That is soo uncool.
There you have a very cool truck, and then you have that home electro remote control thingy in your car.
If he would make that in a cool case with cool buttons and a place for any dash/A-pillar or so, well then it would be interesting.
Patience :)