Trail Tailor LX470 Hidden Winch Mount Install

• HTML tutorial

Mike&Marianne

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hendersonville TN
Member #

I wanted to mount a winch on the front of my 1998 LX470 but I didn’t want to go the full bumper route. I spent some time looking at different behind the stock bumper mounts and decided to go with Trail Tailor’s hidden winch mount. I chose Jason’s design because of his great reputation for quality products, simplicity of the design and cost.

When I first looked at Jason’s design I noticed it would not fit the LX as designed. The LX comes with a larger A/C condenser to accommodate the increased capacity for the rear A/C. Notice the A/C line running below the front cross member. This required changes to the right and left mounting areas of Jason’s original design. After emailing Jason he agreed to modify his design if I would send him a template.

Pic1-1.jpg

After receiving my template Jason quickly converted it into a cad drawing and then a prototype. In short order I had the redesigned hidden winch mount at my door. I elected to have mine shipped in bare metal.

Pic2-1.jpg

Being a prototype, I expected to have to make some small tweaks to the mount to get it to fit correctly, but I was pleasantly surprised to see it fix perfectly with no adjustments needed to the mount.

Pic3-1.jpg Pic4-1.jpg

The install process does require the front bumper reinforcement to be cut on the right and left just inside where it mounts to the frame. This is the only modification I had to make to the truck. The mounting bracket that attaches to the bottom of the bumper reinforcement does not need to be cut and reinstalls with no modification required.

Pic5-1.jpg

As part of my order I also purchased Jason’s tow points. This required me to procure new mounting bolts to replace those used for the factory mounts. Technically I was able to get the winch mount and tow points secured using the stock bolts but I didn’t like that the bolt didn’t go all the way thru the captured nut. These bolts are not something that can be purchased at the local hardware store. I found the correct size and length, M14-1.50x55mm, at a fastener warehouse in Nashville, Capital City Bolt & Screw.

Jason doesn’t guarantee his mount to work with any winch except for the brand he sells because he hadn’t test fit any others. However, he did provide dimensions that I was able to compare with my Warn winch which made me comfortable there would be no installation issues. If you have a Warn XD9000 it will fit with room to spare. I moved the solenoid to be above the winch motor and secured it to the motor using worm clamps. In this position I’m able to attach the control cable from under the hood and if I need to I can route the control cable thru the Lexus emblem so I can close the hood without fear of cutting the cable.

Pic6-1.jpg

The next step is cutting the bumper for the fairlead. After installing the winch mount and the right and left ends of the bumper reinforcement I put the bumper back on without the winch being installed. This gave me access to the back of the bumper so I could trace the fairlead mount on the winch plate to the back of the bumper. Then I removed the bumper, placed my fairlead on the back side and lined up the traced bolt holes with those of the fairlead, I traced the outside of the fairlead on the back side of the bumper and then I cut the hole using my jigsaw. I still have to spool my rope on the winch.

Pic7-1.jpg

Txcoast

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alexandria, VA, USA
Member #

I saw your post on MUD about this and it got me real curious. What made you choose this over a full bumper?

I'm leaning toward this route also. I bought a Tough Dog lift kit from Jason and a set of his tow points. I can attest to his customer service. Great job!

Reactions: Mike&Marianne

Mike&Marianne

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hendersonville TN
Member #

I saw your post on MUD about this and it got me real curious. What made you choose this over a full bumper?

I'm leaning toward this route also. I bought a Tough Dog lift kit from Jason and a set of his tow points. I can attest to his customer service. Great job!
I do most of my trail riding solo and felt it was foolish doing so with no way to perform self recovery. I wanted to add a winch but didn't want to add the wight of a full bumper to the front (I still have the AHC). Cost was a big factor also, I couldn't justify the price of a full bumper for the type of trail riding I do.

The Winch plate was about 35 pounds and my winch is around 85. After adding the winch I didn't even need to adjust my torsion bars to bring my AHC pressures back to normal.

Reactions: Txcoast

Txcoast

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alexandria, VA, USA
Member #

I do most of my trail riding solo and felt it was foolish doing so with no way to perform self recovery. I wanted to add a winch but didn't want to add the wight of a full bumper to the front (I still have the AHC). Cost was a big factor also, I couldn't justify the price of a full bumper for the type of trail riding I do.

The Winch plate was about 35 pounds and my winch is around 85. After adding the winch I didn't even need to adjust my torsion bars to bring my AHC pressures back to normal.
About how long did the install take you?

I'm in a similar situation. Fortunately because of OB I've recently found a set of folks to ride with, but I'd like to go out on my own some more to be sure. I also can't really justify the cost of a full bumper for these rigs at the moment, especially when this mount and a good winch can be had for around $1k total.

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

I wanted to mount a winch on the front of my 1998 LX470 but I didn’t want to go the full bumper route. I spent some time looking at different behind the stock bumper mounts and decided to go with Trail Tailor’s hidden winch mount. I chose Jason’s design because of his great reputation for quality products, simplicity of the design and cost.

When I first looked at Jason’s design I noticed it would not fit the LX as designed. The LX comes with a larger A/C condenser to accommodate the increased capacity for the rear A/C. Notice the A/C line running below the front cross member. This required changes to the right and left mounting areas of Jason’s original design. After emailing Jason he agreed to modify his design if I would send him a template.

View attachment 83090

After receiving my template Jason quickly converted it into a cad drawing and then a prototype. In short order I had the redesigned hidden winch mount at my door. I elected to have mine shipped in bare metal.

View attachment 83091

Being a prototype, I expected to have to make some small tweaks to the mount to get it to fit correctly, but I was pleasantly surprised to see it fix perfectly with no adjustments needed to the mount.

View attachment 83092 View attachment 83093

The install process does require the front bumper reinforcement to be cut on the right and left just inside where it mounts to the frame. This is the only modification I had to make to the truck. The mounting bracket that attaches to the bottom of the bumper reinforcement does not need to be cut and reinstalls with no modification required.

View attachment 83094

As part of my order I also purchased Jason’s tow points. This required me to procure new mounting bolts to replace those used for the factory mounts. Technically I was able to get the winch mount and tow points secured using the stock bolts but I didn’t like that the bolt didn’t go all the way thru the captured nut. These bolts are not something that can be purchased at the local hardware store. I found the correct size and length, M14-1.50x55mm, at a fastener warehouse in Nashville, Capital City Bolt & Screw.

Jason doesn’t guarantee his mount to work with any winch except for the brand he sells because he hadn’t test fit any others. However, he did provide dimensions that I was able to compare with my Warn winch which made me comfortable there would be no installation issues. If you have a Warn XD9000 it will fit with room to spare. I moved the solenoid to be above the winch motor and secured it to the motor using worm clamps. In this position I’m able to attach the control cable from under the hood and if I need to I can route the control cable thru the Lexus emblem so I can close the hood without fear of cutting the cable.

View attachment 83096

The next step is cutting the bumper for the fairlead. After installing the winch mount and the right and left ends of the bumper reinforcement I put the bumper back on without the winch being installed. This gave me access to the back of the bumper so I could trace the fairlead mount on the winch plate to the back of the bumper. Then I removed the bumper, placed my fairlead on the back side and lined up the traced bolt holes with those of the fairlead, I traced the outside of the fairlead on the back side of the bumper and then I cut the hole using my jigsaw. I still have to spool my rope on the winch.

View attachment 83097
Looks very clean and nice. I wish he made one for the 4th gen 4Runner.

Reactions: Boort

Mike&Marianne

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Hendersonville TN
Member #

About how long did the install take you?

I'm in a similar situation. Fortunately because of OB I've recently found a set of folks to ride with, but I'd like to go out on my own some more to be sure. I also can't really justify the cost of a full bumper for these rigs at the moment, especially when this mount and a good winch can be had for around $1k total.
If you have all the items needed to perform the install, bolts, clips, wire, etc... I'd think you could do the install in 4 hours. I did it over a few days because I needed to test fit the plate before I painted it, figure out what additional bolts and clips I'd need and procure them. It is surprisingly easy to install.

Reactions: Txcoast

Trail Tailor

Rank 0

Traveler I

Mike,

Thank you for the kind words and assisting in the R&D process for a new product. It was a pleasure to work with you and look forward to meeting up one day. We'll be in the Memphis/Jackson area in late Feb/early March.

Jason