louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
A loud fussy wife is great trail security. A big bear came into camp one time and was coming at me when the wife popped open the camper door and started fussing that I forgot her coffee creamer. The bear stood up and put its paws over it's ears and took off into the woods...

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
A loud fussy wife is great trail security. A big bear came into camp one time and was coming at me when the wife popped open the camper door and started fussing that I forgot her coffee creamer. The bear stood up and put its paws over it's ears and took off into the woods...
That explains why I haven’t had bears in my camp

egilbe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Biddeford, Maine, USA
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Gilbert
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFT263, HAM:
Not sure I will be able to make the trip to Canada (Tuk) this year with the pandemic and border closures, but if I do, my plan has always been to to take a shotgun, since we will be doing mostly boondocking in pretty isolated locations.
No problems taking firearms across the border into Canada? I've never done it so no idea what it entails. A 12 gauge with rifled slugs should be good enough for short range, I would think.

Reactions: Angel Rivera

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

12 ga with rifled slug is just about all Massachusetts lets us hunt deer with. Pretty powerful at close range.

At one time I knew someone who loaded his Mossberg 500a so that the first shot out was #4 buckshot, and the second was a deer slug, then 4 buck, then deer. Last one was a crap shoot. He wanted to make sure that if he had to use it at home and in darker conditions after suddenly being awoken by noise downstairs, that everyone in the room got peppered and he had thier attention before moving on to the slug, if necessary.

Reactions: Angel Rivera

Angel Rivera

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Spring, Texas, United States
First Name
Angel
Last Name
Rivera
Member #

Service Branch
DD-214 7th SFGA
No problems taking firearms across the border into Canada? I've never done it so no idea what it entails. A 12 gauge with rifled slugs should be good enough for short range, I would think.
Should be pretty straight forward as long as I have the appropriate forms filled out, and the H&K Pardner I got at a pawnshop for 120.00 meets the allowed standards-which It does. I’ll be taking Bessie (TT ) as well. A few rounds of 00, some slugs, and my fav in bear country, Brenneke Black Magic Magnum Rounds.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
At one time I knew someone who loaded his Mossberg 500a so that the first shot out was #4 buckshot, and the second was a deer slug, then 4 buck, then deer. Last one was a crap shoot. He wanted to make sure that if he had to use it at home and in darker conditions after suddenly being awoken by noise downstairs, that everyone in the room got peppered and he had thier attention before moving on to the slug, if necessary.
He needs to pattern his shotgun cause they don't work that way :tearsofjoy: Even with a 18.5 inch barrel with a cylinder bore (no choke) you aren't going to "pepper everyone in the room" even with birdshot unless you can take a 50 or 100 yard shot down inside your house. Contrary to popular belief shotguns need to be aimed

egilbe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Biddeford, Maine, USA
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Gilbert
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFT263, HAM:
He needs to pattern his shotgun cause they don't work that way :tearsofjoy: Even with a 18.5 inch barrel with a cylinder bore (no choke) you aren't going to "pepper everyone in the room" even with birdshot unless you can take a 50 or 100 yard shot down inside your house. Contrary to popular belief shotguns need to be aimed
more like pointed in the general direction :tonguewink:

buckshot will fly all over the place in a full choke tube. The shot gets deformed and flight characteristics of the shot are unpredictable. I mean, its not going to hit somebody standing off to the side or anything, but it flings out way wider than an unchoked tube.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
No. Espeically when talking inside of a house.

Aim your shotguns. "General direction" doesn't work out in the confines of a home. Interior walls suck at stopping pretty much anything thats going to be effective at stopping those with ill intent. Outdoors aiming would atill be advised.

"Every bullet has a lawyer attached to it."
-Clint Smith

Pathkiller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Effingham, South Carolina, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
I am wondering, what percentage of us carry weapons out on the trail for security reasons? Has anyone experienced or heard of any negative incidents happening? I assume for the most part Overlanding individuals, the conservation minded, scenic route takers that we are. Are wonderful people!
My wife & I have been CDL holders for years & were NRA firearms instructors in the past. We also have backgrounds in martial arts training. (We always have some form of weapon close by..)

Reactions: DaleRF

Drebin561

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Lake Worth, FL, USA
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Jimenez
Member #

I carry my 9mm everywhere I go and when we go camping we keep a backup locked inside one of the vehicles then carry the safe into the tent at night Next to a flashlight. Next thing I need to do is put a light on the larger backup handgun to make it a one Stop shop and keep both hands on.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

the last time we were an isolationist country, we had to shirk that isolationism to defend Europe and Asia from Totalitarian governments
You defended yourself after you were attacked. England was begging you to enter the war for 2 years. When the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbour Churchill actually smiled knowing the USA was now in it to the end.

Not at all a criticism, pretty understandable for the USA, a land of immigrants from around the world to hesitate, you had a large German population, Japanese and Italian too. And until Japan hit Pearl Harbour, the resolve of the USA was to not get into another European conflict.

We are all grateful for the enourmous industrial capacity of the USA. I hope our futures sees a return to that greatness and a shunning of cheap Asian labour. I'm not a fan of Nationalism nor Isolationism but I am a fan of economics which make a country more self sufficient and more resilient to things like pandemics. I hope we make changes to be stronger.

Not meaning to argue, I agree with what you said, especially the allegence to the Constitution. Altho the President is the Commander in Chief.

The scary part with the guns is the civil war. The south had guns, but the north had an army. I see that playing out the same today. The NRA against the USA....... thank god for the constitution.

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

The drug trade in BC
I live in the Kootenays, home of BC Bud and the best marijuana in the world. My work takes me into pretty remote spots. Every year I drive up the wrong road and am greeted by a vigilant grower. Often with a rifle. I know the worst thing I could do is to show a firearm. In the few minutes it takes to get directions I often have a new customer. I have never felt showing a gun does anything but escalate human to human confrontations. Guns are for hunting, putting food on the table.