First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
"gentle persuasion" to deescalate a situation
i agree. i carry a clown nose in my pocket and slip it real quick first sign of trouble...nobody is going to kill you if they are busy laughing at you!
(the clown nose is recognized as legal to carry in all states except california)

clown.jpg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I hear what your saying but the data isn't really accurate.

Defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million. CDC data.

The Center for Disease Control is now keeper of record for firearms violence? That's news to me. Not since the Dickey amendment of 1997. They do something similar, but not quite since they are technically not allowed to study that subject because they want medicine not to be political or something. It is mainly anFBI thing, though.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I just read up on it and thats not the case. If your rv is hooked up to sewer,water or electricity your no longer a vehicle its a domicile , if it moving its a vehicle and subject to any state law. Federal law dont restrict you other than its got to be locked up its called peacable journey law . So if your state has stand your ground laws or castle doctrine it would be perfectly legal if not dont risk it unless youve got a license in that state. Laws vary from state to state just be sure your doing it right.

This is where slide in campers are handy. They're always a domicile, and you can't get in them without parking. So you don't have to dck around with what's in the camper.

Still a ccw and one on your hip, makes more sense.

Angel Rivera

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Spring, Texas, United States
First Name
Angel
Last Name
Rivera
Member #

Service Branch
DD-214 7th SFGA
I carry. I’m proficient and have muscle memory if I ever I need . That’s the choice I made. I also carry bear spray. The problem is (1) I don’t think I’ve found any studies on the efficacy of bear spray in humans. I’ve seen recommendation to not use it, in favor of pepper spray. (2) once you use it on a human you can be charged for using a weapon?

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
FYI: Wasp spray doesn't work anymore. They caught on that we were using it as such, and they decided that they didn't need the sales.

Auggie

Rank V

Advocate III

Oroville, CA, USA
First Name
Auggie
Last Name
Mireles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6ICE
I am wondering, what percentage of us carry weapons out on the trail for security reasons? Has anyone experienced or heard of any negative incidents happening? I assume for the most part Overlanding individuals, the conservation minded, scenic route takers that we are. Are wonderful people!
Weapons are to be carried in compliance with the law. That means that we must follow all guidance for CCW, one of them is not to publicize the fact that one is carrying a weapon or show it off.

Reactions: DIYTaco15

Auggie

Rank V

Advocate III

Oroville, CA, USA
First Name
Auggie
Last Name
Mireles
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6ICE
I think that the woods, forests and deserts are far safer than the big cities. I definitely carry every time I visit the big cities; out in the mountains four wheeling I carry for fun in case I want to shoot a bit or scare a coyote away. In the big cities there is always that fear of being caught in a crazy shooter situation. Also, CCW rules are not to show off your weapon.

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
Every last one of us carries tools of various type while out and about. Especially when in the back country. A firearm is no different, it is only a tool. The mind is the weapon as such we are always armed. So the question really is what tools are appropriate during our travels. In my mind a firearm always is. I wouldn't go out without a cutting implement or two, nor would I go out without fire making tools. So why would a firearm be any different?

Last edited:

Hoss2500

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Tustin, southern california
First Name
MATT
Last Name
HURTADO
Member #

My wife is not comfortable around firearms.So I decided to not take a firearm on this trip.
So a couple years ago, for our anniversary we decided to go backpacking to a lake that was about 5 miles outside of a small mountain town in the Cascades. We found an awesome spot at the back of the lake on the sandy inlet, completly exposed! It was november and we were the only ones there.
Well in the middle of the night we were startled awake by gunfire, really loud gunfire echoing across the lake. Then we heard yelling and someone screaming, "I'm going to Fu#^$%g kill you". This was repeated several times. As the voices moved closer to the back of the lake where we were camped I really started to worry. I exited the tent and gout a count of headlamps and their positions. I walked about 40 yards from the tent to the edge of the water, putting distance between myself and my wife who was in the tent. I decided to give away my presence by turning on my flashlight and sweeping on the ground and in the opposite direction of the badguys. My intent was to say "hey there is someone here so don't shoot this way" but not to target them with light which could escalate the situation.
I did this several times, and they went quite and seemed to setup camp and build a fire about 400 yards away.
I didnt sleep the rest of the night.
The next day I decided to make contact playing dumb. I had hiked my canoe in so I approached their camp from the water. I asked if they had heard all of the shooting. They said it was them and apologized for their drunken behaviour.
I commented that I thought maybe there was a bear or something in a camp. I told them I didnt want to get caught off guard by a bear, so I loaded my AR15 just incase.
Later that day we went for a paddle, when we returned someone had entered our tent. Nothing was missing but our space was still violated.

I have since told my wife that I will never go unarmed again. in fact i now have redundancies.

I guess the point is you just never know. Random things happen in random places at unexpected times. So be as prepared as you are comfortable with and never think "it wont happen here"!
Pics from that trip
View attachment 133847
View attachment 133848
Now this is a beautiful shot here!! Where is this ?

TMichael Brown

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Bridgeport, West Virginia, USA
First Name
TMichael
Last Name
Brown
Member #

My wife is not comfortable around firearms.So I decided to not take a firearm on this trip.
So a couple years ago, for our anniversary we decided to go backpacking to a lake that was about 5 miles outside of a small mountain town in the Cascades. We found an awesome spot at the back of the lake on the sandy inlet, completly exposed! It was november and we were the only ones there.
Well in the middle of the night we were startled awake by gunfire, really loud gunfire echoing across the lake. Then we heard yelling and someone screaming, "I'm going to Fu#^$%g kill you". This was repeated several times. As the voices moved closer to the back of the lake where we were camped I really started to worry. I exited the tent and gout a count of headlamps and their positions. I walked about 40 yards from the tent to the edge of the water, putting distance between myself and my wife who was in the tent. I decided to give away my presence by turning on my flashlight and sweeping on the ground and in the opposite direction of the badguys. My intent was to say "hey there is someone here so don't shoot this way" but not to target them with light which could escalate the situation.
I did this several times, and they went quite and seemed to setup camp and build a fire about 400 yards away.
I didnt sleep the rest of the night.
The next day I decided to make contact playing dumb. I had hiked my canoe in so I approached their camp from the water. I asked if they had heard all of the shooting. They said it was them and apologized for their drunken behaviour.
I commented that I thought maybe there was a bear or something in a camp. I told them I didnt want to get caught off guard by a bear, so I loaded my AR15 just incase.
Later that day we went for a paddle, when we returned someone had entered our tent. Nothing was missing but our space was still violated.

I have since told my wife that I will never go unarmed again. in fact i now have redundancies.

I guess the point is you just never know. Random things happen in random places at unexpected times. So be as prepared as you are comfortable with and never think "it wont happen here"!
Pics from that trip
View attachment 133847
View attachment 133848
Now this is a beautiful shot here!! Where is this ?
Guess they didn’t find the AR;)

RRitchey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sumpter Oregon, USA
First Name
Russell
Last Name
Ritchey
Member #

When out hiking I always open carry (especially in bear country). Of course I make sure I have a copy of the RCW's saying it is legal just in case. I have never ran in to any issue, I have talked to several park rangers and they never even batted an eye. When hiking I carry a Glock 20C (compensated) 10mm loaded with Buffalo Bore 190 gr. as a last defense, I also carry bear spray. Both items on my belt. Vehicle security is similar, just more. The best defensive item won't do you any good if you have to dig for it. When we hike and camp it is usually away from the masses, so running for help is not an option. Carrying a weapon or weapons is a personal choice. 539132_4559772197163_974390551_n.jpg539319_4559753716701_1658138345_n.jpg We prefer to hope for the best, but like to up the odds just in case. Wife also carries.

bumbleruck

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Denver, CO
First Name
David
Last Name
M
I like a good 9mm for practicality. Bear spray is for the bears, I've never felt stopping anything of that size with a handgun is practical. It's a sad reality, but the pistol is reserved for predators of the 2-legged variety.

I've been trying to figure out a good set-up for carrying with a pack. I don't like open-carry because while I don't think it should it clearly makes people uncomfortable and that isn't my goal. Right now I think I'll throw it in a camera pouch on my pack's waist-strap but it's a pretty bulky solution I'm not a huge fan of. My friend still carries appendix but it interferes with his waist-strap a lot and that seems like a pretty uncomfortable solution to me.

As I like to tell my girlfriend, expect the best but be prepared for the worst.

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
I like a good 9mm for practicality. Bear spray is for the bears, I've never felt stopping anything of that size with a handgun is practical. It's a sad reality, but the pistol is reserved for predators of the 2-legged variety.

I've been trying to figure out a good set-up for carrying with a pack. I don't like open-carry because while I don't think it should it clearly makes people uncomfortable and that isn't my goal. Right now I think I'll throw it in a camera pouch on my pack's waist-strap but it's a pretty bulky solution I'm not a huge fan of. My friend still carries appendix but it interferes with his waist-strap a lot and that seems like a pretty uncomfortable solution to me.

As I like to tell my girlfriend, expect the best but be prepared for the worst.
Buffalo Bore makes a 9MM round for bear defence.

RRitchey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sumpter Oregon, USA
First Name
Russell
Last Name
Ritchey
Member #

While I admit I would prefer a long gun with big mean animals around, my .45-70, my .338 or even a 12 ga. A 10 mm is the most firepower I can carry and feel comfortable with. There is harder hitting handguns, but most carry 5-6 rounds, my Glock has 15 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber and with the Buffalo Bores hits like a .41 magnum. With 2 back up magazines that is a lot of rounds in a small package. I know a lot of guys who hunt with handguns, including bear and are plenty successful. If you have ever tried to carry a ruck sack, slung rifle and used trekking poles and had to draw fast, you would soon find out, arms, legs and trekking poles everywhere and a weapon hung up on everything. Bear spray is fine but the sign says it all..Bear5wb.jpg