Whittier, California
First Name
Rudy
Last Name
Silva
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6DMP
I'm looking to put together a run for 7/3-7/4 in Idlewild. Looking for other members to go. I have never been wheeln out there so I'm not familiar with the area. Any and all input is welcome. I was checking out Bee Canyon and San Jacinto Truck Trail. I heard there are nice camping spots in the area. I was thinking of heading out there 7/2 in the evening and staying close to what ever trail head we decide to go down. Wheel most of the day. Set up camp, hang out and enjoy the evening with new friends. Pack it up on 7/4 and get home to watch the fireworks with the family. If anyone is interested in setting something up or already has a run going on for those days post it here. Would love to hang out with you all.

LuxuryOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

I'm looking to put together a run for 7/3-7/4 in Idlewild. Looking for other members to go. I have never been wheeln out there so I'm not familiar with the area. Any and all input is welcome. I was checking out Bee Canyon and San Jacinto Truck Trail. I heard there are nice camping spots in the area. I was thinking of heading out there 7/2 in the evening and staying close to what ever trail head we decide to go down. Wheel most of the day. Set up camp, hang out and enjoy the evening with new friends. Pack it up on 7/4 and get home to watch the fireworks with the family. If anyone is interested in setting something up or already has a run going on for those days post it here. Would love to hang out with you all.
I'll definitely be in attendance if I can get some needed affairs in order by then! I'm hoping it shouldn't be a big issue! Looking forward to it!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

LuxuryOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

I have a good friend who has yet to join the community that may want to go! He's traveled these trails previously, I'll see if he'd like to show us the way!

Reactions: PS144ONE

Kenslittle72

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Princeton, Moorpark
Member #

There are two good spots on San jacinto Truck Trail about a third of the way between the San Jacinto river crossing and where it exits to Pine Cove rd. There are a few places further up toward Pine Cove that could be made to work. they just are not as established.
There are a some fantastic camp spots on Black Mountain rd with the best being up at the top near where the Pacific Crest Trail crosses. There is also a true campground off the road as you head toward the fire tower.
I can't go but I could put together a fairly decent loop that would start on the Hemet side and end up on Black Mountain. Most of the trails are fairly smooth up there other than Indian Ridge.

PS144ONE

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whittier, California
First Name
Rudy
Last Name
Silva
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6DMP
There are two good spots on San jacinto Truck Trail about a third of the way between the San Jacinto river crossing and where it exits to Pine Cove rd. There are a few places further up toward Pine Cove that could be made to work. they just are not as established.
There are a some fantastic camp spots on Black Mountain rd with the best being up at the top near where the Pacific Crest Trail crosses. There is also a true campground off the road as you head toward the fire tower.
I can't go but I could put together a fairly decent loop that would start on the Hemet side and end up on Black Mountain. Most of the trails are fairly smooth up there other than Indian Ridge.
Thanks brother, that would be awesome if you could put something together!

Reactions: LuxuryOverland

LuxuryOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

Would definitely be cool if you helped set it up! Are you an idyllwild/hemet/San jacinto local? My friend used to run with the Hemet JEEP Club and was saying pretty much the same thing as you trails-wise.

Kenslittle72

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Princeton, Moorpark
Member #

Part 1
Okay, this is from maps so take it for what it is.
- Take H74 from Hemet
- Right turn on the Old Control Road. (this is the only one I have not personally been on)
- Keep left at Red Hill (it probably won't look like a turn). The road to the right here will take you through the School for the Arts campus and into Idyllwild.
- Keep to the left at McGovern. This is where San Jacinto Truck Trail begins. McGovern will turn into Pine Cove rd. At the corner of Pine Cove rd and H243 is a small market and gas station.
- Stay on San Jacinto truck trail. The two camp areas I know of are where San Jacinto crosses Stone Creek. The first one will be on the right and the next will be just down the rd on the left. The one on the left was a old cabin site.
- A short way after the camp sites is the North Fork San Jacinto River crossing. This is a nice place to stop and hang out a bit.
- A little further up on the right is the turn off for Indian Ridge Truck Trail (not to be confused with Indian Creek Trail.. This is a rated "Most difficult" trail and it would be wise to have at least one locker. This would take you up to H243.

No, I live in Moorpark. We have a family cabin off of Pine Cove Rd so I have started exploring a lot more while we are up there. Unfortunately I have to work Monday.

PS144ONE

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whittier, California
First Name
Rudy
Last Name
Silva
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6DMP
Part 1
- Take H74 from Hemet
- Right turn on the Old Control Road. (this is the only one I have not personally been on)
- Keep left at Red Hill (it probably won't look like a turn). The road to the right here will take you through the School for the Arts campus and into Idyllwild.
- Keep to the left at McGovern. This is where San Jacinto Truck Trail begins. McGovern will turn into Pine Cove rd. At the corner of Pine Cove rd and H243 is a small market and gas station.
- Stay on San Jacinto truck trail. The two camp areas I know of are where San Jacinto crosses Stone Creek. The first one will be on the right and the next will be just down the rd on the left. The one on the left was a old cabin site.
- A short way after the camp sites is the North Fork San Jacinto River crossing. This is a nice place to stop and hang out a bit.
- A little further up on the right is the turn off for Indian Ridge Truck Trail (not to be confused with Indian Creek Trail.. This is a rated "Most difficult" trail and it would be wise to have at least one locker. This would take you up to H243.

No, I live in Moorpark. We have a family cabin off of Pine Cove Rd so I have started exploring a lot more while we are up there. Unfortunately I have to work Monday.
Thanks for the info. Ill try and map this out on TOPO. We will most definitely plan another tip somewhere so can make it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kenslittle72

Kenslittle72

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Princeton, Moorpark
Member #

Part two
- Continue on San Jacinto Truck Trail
- Right turn on Indian Creek Truck Trail (might be labeled 4S05)
- Keep right at Indian Creek rd
- A little further up you have a choice of taking the more direct route of 4S05 to H243 to the right or the little longer route of 4S06 which also goes to H243. 4S06 will go by a cell tower where if you go to the end of that spur there is a rock pile with a nice view. Do not take 4S06B. It is a tight trail that dead ends.
- Make a right once you hit the highway. You will go by Lake Fulmor. Parking is on the right. It is a small lake that is very scenic. If you are making good time it wouldn't hurt to stop and walk around it.
- You will make a left on Black Mountain Rd / truck trail. There is a large turn out at the base of the trail.
- Follow it up to the top. You will pass a few yellow post spots if you can't get the spot at the top. 33.8374466,-116.7446696. Your campsite will be on the edge of the mountain with views all the way down to the valley floor.
- There is a cool overlook just past that spot on the left. There will be a large pile of rocks with a turn out. If you climb up through the rocks there will be a rock with a railing around it. great view.

On Maps it looks like the road does a loop past that. I always heard it just did a dead end.

Have a great trip.

PS144ONE

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whittier, California
First Name
Rudy
Last Name
Silva
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6DMP
Thanks again for the detailed instructions @Kenslittle72. I'm going to put the detail into a rally point event. Going to draw it out on a map as well. Ill post all the details here also. Thinking of starting around 8am. (I am assuming we can get to base camp around noon to eat lunch and setup camp before heading out on the rest of the trail.) Wheel the rest of the day, get back to base camp and enjoy the rest of the evening under the stars with new friends! What do you all think about the start time? Does that sound reasonable?

PS144ONE

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whittier, California
First Name
Rudy
Last Name
Silva
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6DMP
Part 1
- Take H74 from Hemet

Just to clarify do I turn on Indian Ridge Truck Trail or Indian Creek Trail?

Kenslittle72

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Princeton, Moorpark
Member #

If you want excitement and have a capable vehicle than take the ridge. The ridge trail is not marked on google maps, but you can see it on Satellite. I did the ridge in the Dodge. I had trouble getting through 4 or 5 sections and added a little bit of rock graphics to the paint.
The other trail is "graded" rd. Both will get you to the highway.

PS144ONE

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Whittier, California
First Name
Rudy
Last Name
Silva
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6DMP
If you want excitement and have a capable vehicle than take the ridge. The ridge trail is not marked on google maps, but you can see it on Satellite.
My Sahara JKU has no lift not sure if that would make it.

LuxuryOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

yea that range has no lift as of yet either...will be just a little "test" run, or so to speak, for her. sounds like its going to be great times. trying to get this tire situation figured out...Lol wish bills would have come a week later! Lol