Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

So, living in North Texas means that there are not that many actual trails that can be explored like there are in other parts of the country. At least none that I found. With that said, would paved back-roads be considered as acceptable for exploration? I have been on some scenic drives and would like to share more of them as I go out and look for new camping spots but do not want to feel like a "poser" or like I am not fully committed to the lifestyle. Many dirt and gravel roads in Texas are private lands and we shoot trespassers on site around here.

MBroenkow

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sonoma County, CA
Member #

Paved roads are a 100% acceptable form of exploration!

If its new to you its still exploring, regardless of road surface. Its just like your vehicle, 'run what you brung'. Go places you can and to what's available to you. This is about going places- and new places that are out doors that are different from your everyday life, so I dont think it always matters how hard it is to get there.

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

Thanks for that. I really want I get off the beaten path but it's challenging. I'll have to post some scenic backroad drives soon.

"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how."
-Nietzsche

Reactions: MBroenkow

fstfrd00

Rank IV

Pathfinder III

Fort Worth
Eventually I want to get farther north, near the Red River, but for now I am constrained to west Texas hunting, state park camping (running water / electricity). Let us know if you find other interesting routes in the area.

Reactions: rockymntjeeper

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

Eventually I want to get farther north, near the Red River, but for now I am constrained to west Texas hunting, state park camping (running water / electricity). Let us know if you find other interesting routes in the area.
I certainly will. Now that I have used Michael's tutorial on using Google Earth to create routes I am going to have to play with a few. I will share what I learn.

Reactions: rockymntjeeper

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

I'll have to check that out. My laptop is touchscreen so it may be pretty easy.

"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how."
-Nietzsche

Reactions: MBroenkow

Ryan Hitchcock

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fort Worth, TX, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hitchcock
Member #

So, living in North Texas means that there are not that many actual trails that can be explored like there are in other parts of the country. At least none that I found. With that said, would paved back-roads be considered as acceptable for exploration? I have been on some scenic drives and would like to share more of them as I go out and look for new camping spots but do not want to feel like a "poser" or like I am not fully committed to the lifestyle. Many dirt and gravel roads in Texas are private lands and we shoot trespassers on site around here.
If your on FaceBook check out the group "Texas Overland" the members have put together a great resource of .KMZ files that you can Download. The members are also a great resource of info as well.

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

If your on FaceBook check out the group "Texas Overland" the members have put together a great resource of .KMZ files that you can Download. The members are also a great resource of info as well.
That is good to know. I will look into that.

ZetRocks

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Kingwood
First Name
Shannon Keith
Last Name
Cortez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K15AQN
That is good to know. I will look into that.
I've been listening to the Overland Round Table Podcast and they had a pretty good one on Texas overland routes. One of the guys on there spoke of Sabine as a neat place to explore. Looking at it on Google maps, it appears there are a lot of forest service roads going through out the forest. Some look like two tracks. This might be something I check out soon. You might look into it as well, if you haven't already?

Veggie Man

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Fort Worth
First Name
John
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

I've been listening to the Overland Round Table Podcast and they had a pretty good one on Texas overland routes. One of the guys on there spoke of Sabine as a neat place to explore. Looking at it on Google maps, it appears there are a lot of forest service roads going through out the forest. Some look like two tracks. This might be something I check out soon. You might look into it as well, if you haven't already?
I have not had the chance yet. I may need to make a road trip soon to check this out. Do you have a link to the podcast?

Reactions: ZetRocks

ZetRocks

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Kingwood
First Name
Shannon Keith
Last Name
Cortez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign