Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

I want my Rig to be ready for Overlanding at a moments notice without too much hassle. So considering communication, while on the trail and off (everyday driving), the dash would have the following: Cell Phone, CB Radio, GMRS Radio, Ham Radio, means of navigation (GPS unit, iPad Mini, etc). So you can imagine how cluttered the dash is going to be. This is why I want to stick to Radios and Devices that have a remote head unit so I can mount the bulk of the devise elsewhere. In an effort to save space one might suggest to get rid of the CB since they are antiquated and are being replaced by GMRS. While I believe this to be true, there are still a lot of folks out there that still use CB's, so it stays for now. I am asking for advise about what else I can do to conserve real estate on my dash and surrounding area. I believe I can combine GMRS and Ham via the MARS modification but I am still looking into that. Any suggestions or what have you done with your Rigs?

Reactions: Graeman

w0lfpack91

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Yavapai County, Arizona, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7QHJ
GMRS and ham are the same thing. They run on the same meter band Ham is just an expanded licence to include more frequency range.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

w0lfpack91

Rank III

Enthusiast II

First Name
David
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7QHJ
Also look into 10Meter ham radios which can be expanded to CB range. On of my favorites is the Stryker 94HPC its small and puts out 40watts of power and is capable of both CB 11M as well as expanded 10M bands.

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
None of my comms are hard mounted to the dash except the stereo.

For CB I have a Midland 75-822 handheld that sits in the glovebox. When I need it I have a live 12v outlet and the coax waiting near the shifter console.

HAM I use a Icom 2730a. Main unit mounts down in front of my drivers seat, out of the way and the face plate controller I mount on a RAM suction mount, works perfect.

iPad mounts down on a RAM hard mount near the center console, again, all modular.

InReach SE just needs to see sky so I hang it on or in a zipper pouch on the dash. I control it thru the Earthmate app on the iPad.

Have a simple Garmin Glo I use that lays on the dash to use Gaia.

Cell phone goes in another RAM suction mount.

I think that’s it. FM, LTE, CB, HAM, GPS, Iridium2B81BCC5-D451-491E-9DA8-BE76E5686554.jpeg050ABCF5-2974-4120-9BDC-CEE268CEB9F4.jpeg

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
GMRS and ham are the same thing. They run on the same meter band Ham is just an expanded licence to include more frequency range.

The FRS/GMRS frequencies are 462.5625-467.7250MHz.
https://www.buytwowayradios.com/blog/2006/07/frs_and_gmrs_frequencies.aspx

The Ham 70cm band is 420-450MHz.
http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Regulatory/Band Chart/Band Chart 8_5 X 11 Color.pdf

Unfortunately a Ham license does not give you the legal ability to transmit on the FRS/GMRS frequencies. It's true that many ham radios can transmit on those frequencies, but doing so is a violation. I'm not saying that people don't do this, but I want to make it clear that GMRS and ham are not the same thing.

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
Even if you have a HAM license and a GMRS license, using an amateur radio to transmit on GMRS frequencies is illegal, not that anyone can tell as long as you keep your power under I think it's 15 watts. The same goes for a 10m radio on CB but at 5 watts.

Sent from my SM-G920V using OB Talk mobile app

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

The FRS/GMRS frequencies are 462.5625-467.7250MHz.
https://www.buytwowayradios.com/blog/2006/07/frs_and_gmrs_frequencies.aspx

The Ham 70cm band is 420-450MHz.
http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Regulatory/Band Chart/Band Chart 8_5 X 11 Color.pdf

Unfortunately a Ham license does not give you the legal ability to transmit on the FRS/GMRS frequencies. It's true that many ham radios can transmit on those frequencies, but doing so is a violation. I'm not saying that people don't do this, but I want to make it clear that GMRS and ham are not the same thing.
Slomatt, thank you very much for that clarification. That is the way I understood it also but I am apprehensive to correct anyone being that I am so new to this.

Even if you have a HAM license and a GMRS license, using an amateur radio to transmit on GMRS frequencies is illegal, not that anyone can tell as long as you keep your power under I think it's 15 watts. The same goes for a 10m radio on CB but at 5 watts.

RyanC - Thank you for the further clarification. It's all coming together now.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ

Wrong. They are similar but GMRS is only in a small portion of band that is, by law, separate from amateur bands. Basic Ham Tech license includes a portion of 10m up through GHz frequencies.

Also look into 10Meter ham radios which can be expanded to CB range. On of my favorites is the Stryker 94HPC its small and puts out 40watts of power and is capable of both CB 11M as well as expanded 10M bands.

This is illegal....

I have a quad band Ham rig (10,6,2,70cm) that is in my Xterra and will be permanently mounted this summer with the remote head unit. I'm an Extra class amateur license holder. I just got my GMRS license and have Motorola FRS/GMRS hand held radios to use on the trail. I was also just given a hand held CB that I'm going to begin carrying on rides.

My phone has the same mapping program I use on my tablet so I can use it in an impromptu situation. There are also paper maps in my truck at all times.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve and RyanC

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
The Midland 75-822 is a nice little mobile CB. Everything is in a handheld package and it has a battery pack and BNC antenna to turn it into a handheld radio. It can be easily and quickly hooked up and disconnected as needed so it is out of the way when you don't need it.
It can be had for $80 to $90 new with very little searching.
https://midlandusa.com/product/75-822cb-radio/

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

Wrong. They are similar but GMRS is only in a small portion of band that is, by law, separate from amateur bands. Basic Ham Tech license includes a portion of 10m up through GHz frequencies.

This is illegal....

I have a quad band Ham rig (10,6,2,70cm) that is in my Xterra and will be permanently mounted this summer with the remote head unit. I'm an Extra class amateur license holder. I just got my GMRS license and have Motorola FRS/GMRS hand held radios to use on the trail. I was also just given a hand held CB that I'm going to begin carrying on rides.

My phone has the same mapping program I use on my tablet so I can use it in an impromptu situation. There are also paper maps in my truck at all times.
This is great information TerryD, exactly what i am looking for.

Reactions: TerryD

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
This is great information TerryD, exactly what i am looking for.
No problem. Communication is pretty important to me.

In amateur radio, we support emergency responders as a backup means of communicating should their usual systems fail. This is known as the ARES services.

Most of us have a "go kit" with various items in it to get us on the air quickly. I'm gathering the stuff to build myself an off-road go kit right now. It will have a GMRS HT or two, the hand held CB I just received as well as an inexpensive Ham HT along with chargers, batteries and accessories for each. Then I'll have about every service with me in a small box I can toss in the truck as I pack for a ride.

Reactions: HeliSniper

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
It took a few try’s but I finally feel good about a clean set up. 2 channel dual band HAM in the middle(remote head with radio in center console), cell phone on the left, FRS/GMRS on the right. I’ve found CB close to useless over the years.

I’m in SAR, Skywarn, and disaster response. Often times we need dual comms running to talk to command and/or the teams in the field.

AEACF5D7-2155-4F49-A794-F09558D7A1B0.jpeg 93762619-DAD1-496D-A7F4-A840C7650D02.jpeg

w0lfpack91

Rank III

Enthusiast II

First Name
David
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7QHJ
This is illegal....
I won't argue with you that its technically illegal. But realisticly Citizen band laws are not enforced any longer in the US, Haven't been since the late nineties. Anyone who spends as much time listening to the CB as I do Will tell you that the FCC does not monitor citizens band any longer. Also 7 of every 10 rigs running up and down the road push 80-250watts from their radios regularly.

But neither here nor there the stryker 94hpc i recomended was done so for the purpose of being compact and dual purpose on CB and HAM. That radio has a menu to lock output wattage at 4 Watts max when opperating on the CB range while maintaining its full 40 watt on 10M band.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I won't argue with you that its technically illegal. But realisticly Citizen band laws are not enforced any longer in the US, Haven't been since the late nineties. Anyone who spends as much time listening to the CB as I do Will tell you that the FCC does not monitor citizens band any longer. Also 7 of every 10 rigs running up and down the road push 80-250watts from their radios regularly.

But neither here nor there the stryker 94hpc i recomended was done so for the purpose of being compact and dual purpose on CB and HAM. That radio has a menu to lock output wattage at 4 Watts max when opperating on the CB range while maintaining its full 40 watt on 10M band.

I understand what you're saying and I agree that they don't monitor it like they should. I started in comms playing with CBs in the local off-road club in college and I've been blasted with power as much as any guy.

I don't feel that giving advice to people, especially online, to go do things like that is a good idea. I should have probably explained that point better in my post. My apologies. Its advising someone to blatantly disregard a federal law and I think it sets a bad example. Again, my opinion.

Also, 10 and 11 meters are both really dead right now due to the solar cycle. Neither would be considered useful bands for emergency communication even in a good point in the solar cycle because of their inconsistencies. I view the importance of a band based on its ability to get me help on the trail when nothing else can and CB/10m both fall to the end of my list. My antenna for my quad band radio doesn't even have a 10m section, just 6m/2m/70cm. That's also why it's the only radio in my setup that's an actual mobile rather than a HT.

Reactions: RyanC

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I don't feel that giving advice to people, especially online, to go do things like that is a good idea. I should have probably explained that point better in my post. My apologies. Its advising someone to blatantly disregard a federal law and I think it sets a bad example. Again, my opinion.
This is very good advice, and the position of the Overland Bound Staff. We do not condone offering advice that encourages anything illegal.

Reactions: RyanC and TerryD

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

I am learning so much from your conversations with each other, keep the Overland love so no feelings get hurt, and I'll be here taking notes.
Cort - Your setup looks sick!! Kind of what I am going after. I'll get some pictures tomorrow. Being a helicopter pilot I also include my Air Band Icom Handheld....
Thank you both for helping so much so far.......

Reactions: Cort and TerryD

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Thanks brother! The RAM mount system is second to none in my book and fairly affordable. Even with the longer arms for my phones/GMRS they are rock solid.

I have RAM mounts on my bikes, kayaks, even my lawn tractor(holds my Bluetooth speaker and phone).

Reactions: 1Louder and TerryD

w0lfpack91

Rank III

Enthusiast II

First Name
David
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7QHJ
This is very good advice, and the position of the Overland Bound Staff. We do not condone offering advice that encourages anything illegal.
Modifying the radio is not illegal. Nor is using it. The only thing illegal is setting the transmit above 4 watts. So long as any radio is broadcasting the correct frequency at the correct wattage is federally legal.

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
Modifying the radio is not illegal. Nor is using it. The only thing illegal is setting the transmit above 4 watts. So long as any radio is broadcasting the correct frequency at the correct wattage is federally legal.

I could be wrong but I could have sworn that any radio operating in the CB bands has to be certified as Part 95 subsection E compliant.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ

I could be wrong but I could have sworn that any radio operating in the CB bands has to be certified as Part 95 subsection E compliant.
Ryan is correct. It has to be FCC approved to operate in the CB band and a 10m radio is not. Here is the FCC's facts page on the subject.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/personal-radio-services-prs-keeping-touch

Reactions: RyanC