Launch Member

Advocate I

Waterford, MI
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Ladetto
Member #

I would love to see a video explaining trail rating numbers. Example; what do the various numbers (1 to10) mean in regards to difficulty and the necessary mods your vehicle needs to most likely successfully traverse the trail. Are these trail rating numbers universal in North America? I'm trying to figure out what my mostly stock 2020 TRD Off Road can safely do when trip planning. My only mods are sliders and ARB Diff Breather kit. As this is my daily driver and needs to tow our teardrop camper, I'm not planning on lifting it right now. Thanks!

Reactions: Trail_pilot

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I would love to see a video explaining trail rating numbers. Example; what do the various numbers (1 to10) mean in regards to difficulty and the necessary mods your vehicle needs to most likely successfully traverse the trail. Are these trail rating numbers universal in North America? I'm trying to figure out what my mostly stock 2020 TRD Off Road can safely do when trip planning. My only mods are sliders and ARB Diff Breather kit. As this is my daily driver and needs to tow our teardrop camper, I'm not planning on lifting it right now. Thanks!
It's not a standard rating across the board for everywhere you go. I know around here they rate things 1-5+ and ( 1 or 1+ is an unmaintained road 5 or 5+ is a boulder Feild) each number technically has a 2 point rating. The same area where you would find the rating you would also see what vehicle requirements are needed for the trail and last reported conditions or problem areas. This is all online with our local 4x4 foundation for paid members. But trail ratings and locations are not posted really anywhere else. There is no signage at trail heads or difficulty markers. You kinda just have to know where you want to be and go from there.

Reactions: F8OO and M Ladetto

M Ladetto

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Waterford, MI
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Ladetto
Member #

It's not a standard rating across the board for everywhere you go. I know around here they rate things 1-5+ and ( 1 or 1+ is an unmaintained road 5 or 5+ is a boulder Feild) each number technically has a 2 point rating. The same area where you would find the rating you would also see what vehicle requirements are needed for the trail and last reported conditions or problem areas. This is all online with our local 4x4 foundation for paid members. But trail ratings and locations are not posted really anywhere else. There is no signage at trail heads or difficulty markers. You kinda just have to know where you want to be and go from there.
Thanks for the info. We've done off roading here in Michigan, and the NH/ME states. Two summers ago we went off roading in Colorado. We're now looking to take some extended trips and overlanding adventures not that we have our 4Runner. Hopefully we'll be getting out to Utah, Wyoming, and New Mexico.

Reactions: Trail_pilot

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Thanks for the info. We've done off roading here in Michigan, and the NH/ME states. Two summers ago we went off roading in Colorado. We're now looking to take some extended trips and overlanding adventures not that we have our 4Runner. Hopefully we'll be getting out to Utah, Wyoming, and New Mexico.
sounds like fun!

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Trail ratings are kind of subjective and have a lot to do with vehicle size and even more to do with the driver . Even with two rigs on the same size tire What could be considered a 3 trail might not even require 4wd to be engaged on one rig and another rig could need a winch to get through simply because one rig is getting traction in all the right spots and the other is hitting tough spots with all 4 tires . Width , WB , clearance and suspension travel can mean A world of difference . Also a huge thing is willingness to get some dents and dings , it may be capable of a 4 trail but if someone is not willing to do a little rubbing and banging around they may only be comfortable running a 2 .

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
As others have mentioned the numeric trail ratings are not standardized and vary based on who is "scoring" the trail. Also, a trail's difficulty can change over time due to erosion from the weather and/or vehicles so if it was rated a "5" 10 years ago that rating may no longer be appropriate.

Some clubs assign their own trail ratings and then have a chart showing recommended modifications for each level. This can be fairly useful, but still has issues since they may list the recommended mods for a Jeep while you own a Toyota.

Ultimately, I think the best plan is to start running some easier trails and get a feel for how things are rated in your area. Common sense is always key, if the trail starts getting more difficult than you feel comfortable with it's a good time to consider turning around.

Codebeagle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Elsinore, Utah, United States
First Name
Zachary
Last Name
Porter
Member #

Ratings are most definitely subjective and biased. Here in Utah, I like to refer to the trail rating system that the annual Winter 4x4 Jamboree uses for their trails as a general guide. At my driving experience level, I would feel comfortable doing anything 4 and below in my stock 3rd Gen 4Runner. 5-8 if I had a built rig, and 9-10 with a custom or non-street legal buggy/crawler.

In your case, a 2020 TRD Pro Tacoma with sliders should be able to do up to a 5 without any troubles or minor use of crawl control and rear locker. After that, I'd worry about body damage or clearance issues. Have fun out there!

Reactions: M Ladetto

RideFlyDiveJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

Shawnee, KS 66217, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

Link below. Many books and trail maps also use the same scale as downhill skiing like the Backroads and 4-Wheel Drive Trails series and JJUSA. Green Circle, Blue Square, and Red (Black) Diamond, and sometimes a Double Diamond. Theys are also direction dependent too. Greens - Most stock AWD/4WD. Blue - In addition... Low range, Skid plates, Spotting, 4WD, Small Mods for Articulation and Lift. Red(Black) - In Addition...Winch, Major Modifications Needed, Expect Vehicle Damage. I would recommend the buddy system on trails unknown.