Trail Buster Breakfast Burrito, A Burrito Fit For Conquistadors!

• HTML tutorial

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
It's 6:45 in the morning and the fresh scented salty Ocean Dew still hovers over sand dunes, add the delightful scent of last nights campfire looming a few feet away and you realize wow, this is heaven. You pour your self a cup of piping hot steamy trail made coffee and sit back and wonder....What's on that Seagulls breakfast menu, is it as exciting as what's in my fridge? As the sun rises over the crashing waves and I take that first sip of coffee I think of what lies ahead for the day and realize, I better make sure I got a good source of fuel to burn throughout the day. Breakfast is indeed the most important meal of the day even if you'r eating it for dinner, but in this case were gona make it for breakfast.G0020173.jpeg
Along with my coffee and the view I light me up one and get cracking at what is probably a meal rolled like a backwoods blunt of shear goodness fit for any conquistador. This recipe can be made with your favorite meats and toppings and can be altered to be vegan or any other 3/4/5 or 6 letter acronym that makes you happy, however for this one were going to use some good Ole bacon along with some other favorites that are sure to get you fueled. I love bacon, any type of bacon to be quite honest but if I had to pick a favorite for cooking I'd say my go to is THICK CUT bacon. Thick cut is going to have a good fat content so I don't have to add much any other cooking fat to aide in cooking our Trail Buster Breakfast Burrito other than the necessary good healthy kind. For this recipe which makes 2 full sized Burritos we'll use 4 thick slices of bacon cut right across at the center giving us 8 pieces of sheer good porkness! As that warm coffee hits my lips again I spark up the Skottle and the Flying Saucer comes to life with the most amazing smells of all the great meals cooked on her surface. At a medium heat lay the bacon down toward the center and cook while we prep the rest of the ingredients for this mighty blanket rolled feast. As the bacon sizzles to perfection over medium heat, cut up some sliced onions, green and red peppers and any other veggies you like. As for most trips and added ease we prepped our veggies before hand and bagged them into ziplocks which keep them fresh during the trip in the fridge till were ready to use them. Pre prepping simple items that you know you will use save you a ton of time when your on the trail or at camp and efficiency is a must. I used some freshly sliced onions, Portabella Mushrooms, Green and Red peppers with a dash of complete seasoning and just enough bacon drippings from the bacon to uplift even the hungriest of appetites. At the same time we toss a couple of hash brown patties onto Skottle as well and give them a good one time coating in the bacon juice of life that seasons our fixings on this meal. By now the even the seagulls are being drawn to this amazing feast being cook on a secluded beach and i'm sure it beats their daily diet of sardines truth be told. Oh, did I Mention the smell! OMG the smell of what's cooking is so tantalizing but we must cook on before getting lost in the aromas of yumminess.IMG_1488.jpeg
We grab our eggs which usually are pre beaten and put into an empty creamer container but if you can carry them whole or in our case for this trip it was just absolutely last minute so I grabbed my old green egg traveler since we didn't have much in the fridge to begin with and I didn't have to worry about space issues. Mind you we still have not added anything else to the Skottle to grease our surface so in essence working off the bacon fat were also reducing the amount of unhealthy cooking fat including butter, Olive Oil, Canola Oil or even Pam which apparently has become a grenade when its exposed to a heat source. PSA if your still using PAM or pressurized cooking spray at camp BE VERY careful there are several threads and even media articles showing these compressed cooking spray cans turn into a frag grenade when exposed to a heat source as indirect as being near the stove. Luckily for us no pam in our chuck box or in this recipe! Moving forward the Skottle looks amazing as all the ingredients prepare to make their final appearance at the tanning salon just before making their walk onto the flour tortilla carpet of hunger awards. At this point I've kept everything on medium heat and I gradually work to the outer edges of the Skottle what's getting cooked so we don't burn or over do any of the bacon or veggies, we still want to have crisp but softness as well. Once you get the hang of the Skottle its definitely a great tool and quite frankly our main means of cooking @ O Town Overland. IMG_1490.jpeg
Now that we got our eggs in I scrambled them right on the Skottle and turn the heat way down to finish cooking while I step away to prepare our tortillas. I unfortunately didn't take a pic of the method we used to prep them but it was extremely easy. We use a Camp Chef by Everest stove which works great, boils water faster than my actual fancy flat cook top with so many features I still can't figure it out stove! None the less since the stove is a two burner stove and coffee was already brewed I use both burners and fire them up to low and whip out the biggest tortillas money can buy at our upscale organic members club Wall-E-Mart :tearsofjoy: brand tortillas. Now hey nothing wrong with the members club we are Costco members and its a must weather its just a party of one or in our case a party of 5 given our 3 little monsters that usually travel with. For this trip it was an adults trip, well actually a work trip that I some how some way finagled my way to camp at a beach in the rig instead of expensing a hotel room but it is delightfully humorous to hear folks mention they bought somethings simple as tortillas at some fancy grocery. Now lets be real and yes you might call me crazy and that's fine but a tortilla is made with fat or lard, flour water and salt....Theres nothing fathomably different in my opinion a pack of tortillas from wall-e-mart than to the ones from some fancy shmancy outfitter. As the tortillas come off the stove lay them on your cutting board or your plate where they will be easy to build before my favorite part, ROLLING them up!IMG_1491.jpeg
First thing I do is lay my eggs on the tortilla, then I follow it with 2 strips of bacon, add my hash browns, then add my sautéed veggies and the last layer of bacon. Then a heaping hand of quesadilla cheese on the sides of the burrito and topped off with some fresh home made spicy Pico de Gallo and Home made Guacamole then garnished with a few sprigs of fresh cilantro before she's ready for my favorite part. Now warning it takes a few times of practice and patience to roll one of these even if your accustomed to rolling up. After rolling up for nearly 15 years lol Ive learned to roll a mean joint and an even greater burrito even if it gets a little messy! Once its all layered and it looks like you can roll it, put the whole burrito down folding the sides inward, roll and tuck the rest till you have a perfectly rolled or a semi rolled edible burrito. It took some time for me to figure out how roll a perfect Trail Buster Burrito and even to the day sometimes she gets messy but the reward of all those flavors marrying will give your tastebuds an orgasmic sensation of deliciousness! By this point all I can think of is sitting back on my chair to enjoy my creation.IMG_1492.jpeg
Sitting down and eating it anywhere is amazing, The view and the setting did add to the awesomeness of this burrito but the flavors are just amazing. With every scrumptious bite you taste a hint of cilantro, every veggie in it's entirety including the shrooms. The hint of lime in the guac and the heat of the fresh spicy Pico de Gallo elevate your taste buds. Granted this is a large and hearty breakfast which will last you all day with just a couple of snacks here and there and plenty of fluids through out the day. We had a very long and heavy day of setting up equipment at a shop so this was exactly what we needed to hold us off till the end of the day. The trail buster is great, quick and if you prep ahead of time from start to finish I spent maybe 25 minutes total maybe less till I was sitting down on my chair watching sea & hearing the waves crash enjoying breakfast. The items used in this recipe can be substituted or changed around depending on likings but this is how we personally have done it for years and it has held us off till the end of the day. The Trail Buster Burrito has just the right amount of fatty from the bacon and the healthy fat the guacamole provides along with a good source of veggies and protein that will fuel and propel you through out the day. I hope you like my recipe, we definitely do and a camp favorite at least one day of any expedition we put together. Till next time see you on the trail and follow the smoke to our camp where there's always something great on the fire!

Trail Buster Burrito Ingredients (SERVES 2)
1 Pack Largest Tortillas you can find (ANY BRAND)
5 Eggs
Quesadilla Cheese (Your Favorite Is Best But Get Creative)
4 Thick Cut Bacon Strips (Cut Across Center to Make 8 Pieces)
2 HashBrown Patties
Portabello Mushrooms (Any Shroom Works or Omit If You
Don't Like)
Onions
Green Peppers
Red Bell Peppers
Pico De Gallo
Guacamole

Cilantro
LOVE

Last edited:

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Man, i picked a bad time to be on a diet. Making this first chance i get.
There definitely is there for two portions which is what we did. We made 2 burritos cause man If I ate all 5 eggs I think I'd be hugging the ThunderBox every 5 minutes! :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: max.grun

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
My wife is asking me why I think I need to go to the storage shed and the store so I can make breakfast now. She doesn't get it. I'm so goin to make this. Thanks, Ron.
Most definitely, you'll love it! Post pics when you do!!!!!!

max.grun

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Turlock, California
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSE
There definitely is there for two portions which is what we did. We made 2 burritos cause man If I ate all 5 eggs I think I'd be hugging the ThunderBox every 5 minutes! :tearsofjoy:
most definitely. I wouldn't be able to eat all that in one sitting. The diet i am following doesn't allow some of those wonderful ingredients. Unfortunately. :cry:

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Man, i picked a bad time to be on a diet. Making this first chance i get.
Your on the wrong diet my friend.
Get rid of the tortilla and half the vegies, and the cheese, load up the bacon and any other meats, keep the eggs and your Keto AF!

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Your on the wrong diet my friend.
Get rid of the tortilla and half the vegies, and the cheese, load up the bacon and any other meats, keep the eggs and your Keto AF!
I have a friend who's on Keto and She said that would be a perfect KETO burrito wrapped in lettuce leaf with double the bacon and double the cheese! I def got tray that. It sounded like the unwich from Jimmy Johns when she told me about it!

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

eharris2

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Cañon City, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Harris
Member #

Great post, that was very well done. In our tribe of overlanding foodies we do something similar and you are right the smell is amazing. I would add that when your starving it is torture to wait to eat it. Keep up the great posts and that’s a great recipe!

Reactions: SinisterJK

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Great post, that was very well done. In our tribe of overlanding foodies we do something similar and you are right the smell is amazing. I would add that when your starving it is torture to wait to eat it. Keep up the great posts and that’s a great recipe!
Thank you so much I greatly appreciate that! We definitely are foodies as well and the second best part to all of our adventures is what we eat. I think food is one of the greatest pleasures of living life. We definitely will keep coming up with pretty neat ideas and recipes that all of the community can benefit from.

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
It's 6:45 in the morning and the fresh scented salty Ocean Dew still hovers over sand dunes, add the delightful scent of last nights campfire looming a few feet away and you realize wow, this is heaven. You pour your self a cup of piping hot steamy trail made coffee and sit back and wonder....What's on that Seagulls breakfast menu, is it as exciting as what's in my fridge? As the sun rises over the crashing waves and I take that first sip of coffee I think of what lies ahead for the day and realize, I better make sure I got a good source of fuel to burn throughout the day. Breakfast is indeed the most important meal of the day even if you'r eating it for dinner, but in this case were gona make it for breakfast.View attachment 137479
Along with my coffee and the view I light me up one and get cracking at what is probably a meal rolled like a backwoods blunt of shear goodness fit for any conquistador. This recipe can be made with your favorite meats and toppings and can be altered to be vegan or any other 3/4/5 or 6 letter acronym that makes you happy, however for this one were going to use some good Ole bacon along with some other favorites that are sure to get you fueled. I love bacon, any type of bacon to be quite honest but if I had to pick a favorite for cooking I'd say my go to is THICK CUT bacon. Thick cut is going to have a good fat content so I don't have to add much any other cooking fat to aide in cooking our Trail Buster Breakfast Burrito other than the necessary good healthy kind. For this recipe which makes 2 full sized Burritos we'll use 4 thick slices of bacon cut right across at the center giving us 8 pieces of sheer good porkness! As that warm coffee hits my lips again I spark up the Skottle and the Flying Saucer comes to life with the most amazing smells of all the great meals cooked on her surface. At a medium heat lay the bacon down toward the center and cook while we prep the rest of the ingredients for this mighty blanket rolled feast. As the bacon sizzles to perfection over medium heat, cut up some sliced onions, green and red peppers and any other veggies you like. As for most trips and added ease we prepped our veggies before hand and bagged them into ziplocks which keep them fresh during the trip in the fridge till were ready to use them. Pre prepping simple items that you know you will use save you a ton of time when your on the trail or at camp and efficiency is a must. I used some freshly sliced onions, Portabella Mushrooms, Green and Red peppers with a dash of complete seasoning and just enough bacon drippings from the bacon to uplift even the hungriest of appetites. At the same time we toss a couple of hash brown patties onto Skottle as well and give them a good one time coating in the bacon juice of life that seasons our fixings on this meal. By now the even the seagulls are being drawn to this amazing feast being cook on a secluded beach and i'm sure it beats their daily diet of sardines truth be told. Oh, did I Mention the smell! OMG the smell of what's cooking is so tantalizing but we must cook on before getting lost in the aromas of yumminess.View attachment 137480
We grab our eggs which usually are pre beaten and put into an empty creamer container but if you can carry them whole or in our case for this trip it was just absolutely last minute so I grabbed my old green egg traveler since we didn't have much in the fridge to begin with and I didn't have to worry about space issues. Mind you we still have not added anything else to the Skottle to grease our surface so in essence working off the bacon fat were also reducing the amount of unhealthy cooking fat including butter, Olive Oil, Canola Oil or even Pam which apparently has become a grenade when its exposed to a heat source. PSA if your still using PAM or pressurized cooking spray at camp BE VERY careful there are several threads and even media articles showing these compressed cooking spray cans turn into a frag grenade when exposed to a heat source as indirect as being near the stove. Luckily for us no pam in our chuck box or in this recipe! Moving forward the Skottle looks amazing as all the ingredients prepare to make their final appearance at the tanning salon just before making their walk onto the flour tortilla carpet of hunger awards. At this point I've kept everything on medium heat and I gradually work to the outer edges of the Skottle what's getting cooked so we don't burn or over do any of the bacon or veggies, we still want to have crisp but softness as well. Once you get the hang of the Skottle its definitely a great tool and quite frankly our main means of cooking @ O Town Overland. View attachment 137481
Now that we got our eggs in I scrambled them right on the Skottle and turn the heat way down to finish cooking while I step away to prepare our tortillas. I unfortunately didn't take a pic of the method we used to prep them but it was extremely easy. We use a Camp Chef by Everest stove which works great, boils water faster than my actual fancy flat cook top with so many features I still can't figure it out stove! None the less since the stove is a two burner stove and coffee was already brewed I use both burners and fire them up to low and whip out the biggest tortillas money can buy at our upscale organic members club Wall-E-Mart :tearsofjoy: brand tortillas. Now hey nothing wrong with the members club we are Costco members and its a must weather its just a party of one or in our case a party of 5 given our 3 little monsters that usually travel with. For this trip it was an adults trip, well actually a work trip that I some how some way finagled my way to camp at a beach in the rig instead of expensing a hotel room but it is delightfully humorous to hear folks mention they bought somethings simple as tortillas at some fancy grocery. Now lets be real and yes you might call me crazy and that's fine but a tortilla is made with fat or lard, flour water and salt....Theres nothing fathomably different in my opinion a pack of tortillas from wall-e-mart than to the ones from some fancy shmancy outfitter. As the tortillas come off the stove lay them on your cutting board or your plate where they will be easy to build before my favorite part, ROLLING them up!View attachment 137485
First thing I do is lay my eggs on the tortilla, then I follow it with 2 strips of bacon, add my hash browns, then add my sautéed veggies and the last layer of bacon. Then a heaping hand of quesadilla cheese on the sides of the burrito and topped off with some fresh home made spicy Pico de Gallo and Home made Guacamole then garnished with a few sprigs of fresh cilantro before she's ready for my favorite part. Now warning it takes a few times of practice and patience to roll one of these even if your accustomed to rolling up. After rolling up for nearly 15 years lol Ive learned to roll a mean joint and an even greater burrito even if it gets a little messy! Once its all layered and it looks like you can roll it, put the whole burrito down folding the sides inward, roll and tuck the rest till you have a perfectly rolled or a semi rolled edible burrito. It took some time for me to figure out how roll a perfect Trail Buster Burrito and even to the day sometimes she gets messy but the reward of all those flavors marrying will give your tastebuds an orgasmic sensation of deliciousness! By this point all I can think of is sitting back on my chair to enjoy my creation.View attachment 137487
Sitting down and eating it anywhere is amazing, The view and the setting did add to the awesomeness of this burrito but the flavors are just amazing. With every scrumptious bite you taste a hint of cilantro, every veggie in it's entirety including the shrooms. The hint of lime in the guac and the heat of the fresh spicy Pico de Gallo elevate your taste buds. Granted this is a large and hearty breakfast which will last you all day with just a couple of snacks here and there and plenty of fluids through out the day. We had a very long and heavy day of setting up equipment at a shop so this was exactly what we needed to hold us off till the end of the day. The trail buster is great, quick and if you prep ahead of time from start to finish I spent maybe 25 minutes total maybe less till I was sitting down on my chair watching sea & hearing the waves crash enjoying breakfast. The items used in this recipe can be substituted or changed around depending on likings but this is how we personally have done it for years and it has held us off till the end of the day. The Trail Buster Burrito has just the right amount of fatty from the bacon and the healthy fat the guacamole provides along with a good source of veggies and protein that will fuel and propel you through out the day. I hope you like my recipe, we definitely do and a camp favorite at least one day of any expedition we put together. Till next time see you on the trail and follow the smoke to our camp where there's always something great on the fire!

Trail Buster Burrito Ingredients (SERVES 2)
1 Pack Largest Tortillas you can find (ANY BRAND)
5 Eggs
Quesadilla Cheese (Your Favorite Is Best But Get Creative)
4 Thick Cut Bacon Strips (Cut Across Center to Make 8 Pieces)
2 HashBrown Patties
Portabello Mushrooms (Any Shroom Works or Omit If You
Don't Like)
Onions
Green Peppers
Red Bell Peppers
Pico De Gallo
Guacamole

Cilantro
LOVE
My favorite breakfast, whether on the trail or on the couch. Looking at your pics makes me hungry and I just got home from dinner. Those veggies look amazing! ... The breakfast burrito may just be the perfect meal (not just any burrito, but a breakfast burrito, that is).

Reactions: SinisterJK

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
My favorite breakfast, whether on the trail or on the couch. Looking at your pics makes me hungry and I just got home from dinner. Those veggies look amazing! ... The breakfast burrito may just be the perfect meal (not just any burrito, but a breakfast burrito, that is).
I totally agree I could eat a breakfast burrito any time of the day!

Reactions: Itacal

pcstockton

Rank III

Advocate I

Portland, OR
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
S
Just curious.... How is this any different or more inventive than any other breakfast burrito made ever? Eggs, bacon, cheese, vegetables on a flour tortilla.

Also, try some freshly made tortillas from a local restaurant. They will be simply made (real flour, water, fat, salt) and cooked correctly.

You know what's in your Costco/Walmart/Safeway tortillas?

Enriched Bleached Flour (Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Vegetable Shortening (Interesterified and Hydrogenated Soybean Oils), Contains 2% or Less of: Salt, Sugar, Baking Soda, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Distilled Monoglycerides, Enzymes, Fumaric Acid, and Calcium Propionate and Sorbic Acid (to maintain freshness)

-p

Reactions: MikeDer

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Just curious.... How is this any different or more inventive than any other breakfast burrito made ever? Eggs, bacon, cheese, vegetables on a flour tortilla.

Also, try some freshly made tortillas from a local restaurant. They will be simply made (real flour, water, fat, salt) and cooked correctly.

You know what's in your Costco/Walmart/Safeway tortillas?

Enriched Bleached Flour (Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Vegetable Shortening (Interesterified and Hydrogenated Soybean Oils), Contains 2% or Less of: Salt, Sugar, Baking Soda, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Distilled Monoglycerides, Enzymes, Fumaric Acid, and Calcium Propionate and Sorbic Acid (to maintain freshness)

-p
What makes a Whopper different from a Big Mac or a Big Buford @ Rallys/Checkers? Each is essentially the same exact thing, however each one is a different take or spin off with a story behind it. Some version may be larger and the ingredients may vary slightly geographically such as the story behind it. Theres in essence no difference than any other burrito "concept" of a lard rolled flour wheel with filler and toppings. It's about the story and pictures that transport yourself to a moment, a vista and think, I can almost smell and taste this. It's about the vivid description behind each one of the stories that takes you to that moment in our own minds. I always hope it inspires someone to make it or their own version. It's a meal that will last an entire day based on similar experience's to the days of the conquistadors. If Francisco Pizarro were alive today it's burrito fit for a conquistador like him.

• Love
Reactions: grubworm

LittleOverlander

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Georgia
First Name
Zachary
Last Name
Russell
Member #

That looks good! I like the pictures on the sand there's just something fun about cooking on the beach.