TPMS pressure read out

• HTML tutorial

Jean-Yves Hudon

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary
Member #

I am wondering if there is a way to get the 4runner tpms pressure values read out in some ways? It's silly to have this highly accurate device available and rely on innacurate gauges to read tire pressure! I have been researching this without success. Any ideas?

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I am wondering if there is a way to get the 4runner tpms pressure values read out in some ways? It's silly to have this highly accurate device available and rely on innacurate gauges to read tire pressure! I have been researching this without success. Any ideas?
@Jean-Yves Hudon
Yes, The Scan Guage II running firmware v4.45 and higher can read out TPMS pressures from the CanBUS on my 4thGen 4Runner I understand the they can do both tire pressure and tire temp on the 5th gens. These specific sensors needed to be "coded in" on my unit. Here are the XGuage codes I used:
https://www.scangauge.com/support/x-gauge-commands/toyota-lexus-scion/

The Thread started by "ehcanadian" over on t4r.org forums was a great help for me getting info on the Scanguage and my 4Runner. http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/245286-attn-scanguage-ii-owners.html I currently have it tracking Transmission Fluid temp, Oil temp, Intake Air temp, (for towing) and calibrated MPH or MPG (due to slightly taller than stock tires) I can easily flip any one of those 4 readouts to TP1-5 gauges and read out the tire pressure. Only problem is my 4Runner only has 1 receiver so I don't know which tire is TP#.
I'm afraid that modern Jeeps have a better implementation of this system. My friend's Jeep offers this info in the cluster and uses a reader at each tire location so you know which tire is which and can air up/down with nearly real time updates (about 2 sec lag).

Boort

Reactions: Jean-Yves Hudon

Jean-Yves Hudon

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Calgary
Member #

Just got and installed a Scangauge 2 and it works like a charm to read tire pressure from the tpms. Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: Boort