Toyota Tundra

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast I

First Name
Anjolee
Last Name
Powell
Hey guys so yesterday I picked up a 2019 Toyota Tundra SR5. I’m working on building an overlanding rig. I have ordered a leveling kit from Rough country and have some LED lights coming in as well. What are some of your recommendations for some budget overlanding gear? Not looking for a super crazy setup just something practical for both hitting the trails and daily driving. Thanks guys

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Welcome to here. Very capable truck as it stands so take it out and see what you like and don't like. You and your family have to be safe and comfortable. Start there and the rest will come in time.
Zim

Reactions: DintDobbs

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Anjolee_856512 Recommended for any car for any purpose:

Full-size matching spare tire
Jack and tire iron
Tire repair kit
DC 12-volt air compressor
Jumper cables
Basic tool kit (doesn't have to be fancy)
Flash light

Best to have for long-distance travel, on or off road:

First-aid kit (doesn't have to be fancy)
Small shovel
Recovery strap and some means of safely connecting it to the vehicle

Besides that, a good set of quality all-terrain tires and good maintenance will get you far! Learn to drive your vehicle; learn its weight and dimensions and clearance and cultivate your forward and backward driving skills.

Enthusiast I

First Name
Anjolee
Last Name
Powell
Welcome to here. Very capable truck as it stands so take it out and see what you like and don't like. You and your family have to be safe and comfortable. Start there and the rest will come in time.
Zim
Thank you! We are talking it on a trip this weekend so I’m curious to see how the truck runs off road

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i have an '18 model and absolutely love it. i went with a level kit and bigger tires and it has been able to go everywhere i wanted to go and then some. not sure exactly what youre looking for...but i ended up with this. we started camping out of the back of the truck and of course had issue with rain a good bit, so i went with a cap. LOVE IT. great protection from elements and security for equipment. i added a cargo basket on top for a 50w solar panel i use to charge a 50ah battery in the cap for lights, phone charging, etc. i also keep a 11# propane on top (dont want a propane bottle in the cap when sleeping) and a tote for recovery gear.

the slide out drawers work great for organizing gear and provide a nice platform for our memory foam mattress. i added a swing-away hitch with a rack on it to hold the ice chest and extra cans of gas. it will swing away so i can drop the tailgate and access the back without having to unload the rack. also is nice to have the ice chest right there when cooking on the tailgate. the cap and extra accessories might have totaled around $3K, so thats pretty budget i guess.

its also my daily driver and the cap is great for groceries and whatever else. im retired, but still get asked to do some jobs so i just pull out the foam mattress and gear from the slide out drawers and stick all my tools in the drawers and use the drawer platform for hauling materials. even if i were to quit camping out of it, id still keep it set up the way it is for everyday use.

IMG_0455.JPGP1000451 (3).JPG

Enthusiast I

First Name
Anjolee
Last Name
Powell
i have an '18 model and absolutely love it. i went with a level kit and bigger tires and it has been able to go everywhere i wanted to go and then some. not sure exactly what youre looking for...but i ended up with this. we started camping out of the back of the truck and of course had issue with rain a good bit, so i went with a cap. LOVE IT. great protection from elements and security for equipment. i added a cargo basket on top for a 50w solar panel i use to charge a 50ah battery in the cap for lights, phone charging, etc. i also keep a 11# propane on top (dont want a propane bottle in the cap when sleeping) and a tote for recovery gear.

the slide out drawers work great for organizing gear and provide a nice platform for our memory foam mattress. i added a swing-away hitch with a rack on it to hold the ice chest and extra cans of gas. it will swing away so i can drop the tailgate and access the back without having to unload the rack. also is nice to have the ice chest right there when cooking on the tailgate. the cap and extra accessories might have totaled around $3K, so thats pretty budget i guess.

its also my daily driver and the cap is great for groceries and whatever else. im retired, but still get asked to do some jobs so i just pull out the foam mattress and gear from the slide out drawers and stick all my tools in the drawers and use the drawer platform for hauling materials. even if i were to quit camping out of it, id still keep it set up the way it is for everyday use.

View attachment 266879View attachment 266880
Thank you for the ideas. Definitely looking into more of a budget set up and something that I can use while daily driving.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)

Grub I've always liked those basket style roof racks. That thing is cool.
Zim

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513

Nice setup.
I had that exact basket. Very heavy-duty. Had to swap it out for a rhino rack platform to accommodate the roof top tent. :(

Reactions: grubworm

Enthusiast II

Agoura Hills, CA, USA
First Name
Jolo
Last Name
Bejasa
Ham/GMRS Callsign
Silverback
Hey guys so yesterday I picked up a 2019 Toyota Tundra SR5. I’m working on building an overlanding rig. I have ordered a leveling kit from Rough country and have some LED lights coming in as well. What are some of your recommendations for some budget overlanding gear? Not looking for a super crazy setup just something practical for both hitting the trails and daily driving. Thanks guys
Nice choice on the Tundra! A leveling kit would be a good start for easy trails and daily driving. You can always make a budget drawer system / sleeping platform for the bed, or if you don't mind ground tenting, that would be another option. We have a flip pop tent on our site if you want to check it out. Frontrunneroutfitters.com. Some basic recovery gear can be found at Harbor Freight and even Amazon like tire repair kits, traction boards, recovery straps, soft shackles, air compressor / gauges, off road jack, hammocks, etc.

As for cooking items, a coleman grill and some propane would be a good start. You can go to the local dollar store for camping spices. I would suggest dedicating one storage box for all cooking items so that everything is stored in one place. Organization and space saving is a good thing to think about when packing up for overland trips.

I recommend getting a power station like a Jackery or Bluetti. You can always charge the power station through your Tundra when traveling from one campsite to another, or you can get their solar panels.

A basic bed rack with storage solutions, shelter like a ground tent, an awning for shade, water and fuel cans, and recovery items would be a great start. You can always build your set up as you go also, instead of purchasing everything at once and finding out that you won't actually use some of the items you've purchased ahead of time.

Here's some videos for inspiration:

Attachments

Overland Omnivore

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

Here are a few pics of my rig…the camper is off right now as I work in it…lots more to do but I think you can get the idea of where it’s headed

Attachments